120hz in Win 7

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Deadra, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Deadra

Deadra Member

I have been everywhere on the internet looking for a way to force my CRT to 120hz (or anything above 85hz) in Win7. It always sets it back to 85hz as if it won't allow it to go higher. I'm thinking that it's just Win7 and the only thing I can do is just wait for an update from Microsoft. If any of you guys have found a way to get above 85hz, it would be awesome.

2. dailun

dailun Active member

1. Are you certain that your monitor supports a 120Hz refresh rate?
    2. Why do you feel that you HAVE to force the CRT to 120Hz? Any setting 85Hz or higher will typically overcome any negative effects from the "beating" that occurs at 60-70Hz.
    3. The settings allowed in the Screen refresh rate are dependent on the type of Monitor configured.
    If you are using the standard "Plug and Play" monitor setting it's quite possible that the Windows doesn't understand that the monitor is capable of screen refresh rates above 60/75 Hz.
    In that case you should see if there is a "driver" for your CRT from the manufacturer. This will allow Windows to understand the full capabilities of your CRT.
    4. Windows probably doesn't provide all of the possible frequencies in the default settings because you can severely and permanently damage a CRT by running it at a screen refresh rate higher than it was designed for.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009