2 hour cut off

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Tanksta, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Tanksta

Tanksta Regular member

Unfortunatly broadband is not available in my area so I'm on dial up and my isp cuts me off every 2 hours. Theres alot of software to stop isps cutting you off for being idle but does anyone know how to stop the 2 hour cut off.

Thanks in advance.

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

The timeout period is set at the ISP so there is not much you can do to change it unless you have access to their equipment.
    For example, if they used a cisco terminal server the command is:
    absolute timeout 120
    (where 120 is the number of minutes) to set the ppp session limit. It also depends on if they are using virtual templates for the user or not on where to put that command - under the template or physical interface.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Is this cut off if you are downloading?
    Bell in Canada has a similar cut off for DSL, but only if you are not "active". To not get cut off and keep active you can run a ping script to multiple sites in the background. So you are look like you are constantly accessing the web, while your downloading. That should work to extend if its a low activity cut off. If its an absolute cut off at 2hours, that must be really iritating and I would look at an other dialup that has low upload cut off activity.

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

Many ISPs have cut off limits even if you are active. AT&T Worldnet is still 12 hrs I believe which is a lot better than 2. When I lived overseas all of them had limits. My ISP in Thailand had 2 hour limits. Prisoner is correct though, just run a ping script if it is an idle timer or just get on an irc channel and the conversation there will keep some traffic going.

5. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

Another easy way to prevent an 'idle' type disconnect, is to have your email program check for new mail every 10 or 15 minutes or so or whatever is needed. Worked for me ;) But, as
    Prisoner said, if it is an absolute 2 hour time cut off, I would find a different isp. Just curious...when you get bumped off, do they let you connect again right away?