2nd Hard drive: install using ATA controller card in PCI or as a slave to 1st HD???

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Infinite8, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Infinite8

Infinite8 Member

I guess the subject line says most of it. I hope this was the right forum to post in, if not feel free to redirect me.

I have a Western Digital 200GB hard drive I want to install as a 2nd hard drive for video capture from analog(VHS) sources. I am unsure whether to install it as a slave to my original hard drive or use the ATA controller card that came with it and install it in the PCI slot.

Now my 3 IDE slots contain floppy disk drive, 120GB HD (w/ OS and Software), and the 3rd is the DVD-burner and CDrom drive linked (not sure which is master/slave).

Any suggestions ASAP would be appreciated as I would like to start the installation.

Thanks!

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I'd use the controller card. That way it won't be sharing a cable with any other device, which should help avoid transfer rate issues when capturing.

BTW, the floppy drive is connected to a floppy controller, not an IDE channel. Make sure you don't try to connect it there. ;-)

3. Infinite8

Infinite8 Member

thanks for the reply and the technical term education :)

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

No problem.