1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Complete Guide: Loading Backups with Action Replay Max (no modchip required!)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by jjax, Jan 21, 2006.

1. a_l_e_x

a_l_e_x Regular member

Just a note to the author of this tutorial: My website (Console.IsCentral.Net) has changed the core structure to a different CMS meaning dead links. Please look through the new site (which loads alot faster, and is much easier to navigate) for the links to the files that you require.

2. jjax

jjax Guest

Alex - thanks for the note - i'll update the links! (the site is Ace!!!) ;-)

Purity - i'll write up some step-by-step instructions on how to copy files from pendrive to MC using launchELF - it works really well and surprisingly the MC can store any file type as a backup (jpgs, word documents etc. - quite interesting)

3. bhee

bhee Regular member

jjax-can u do the same 4 me plz4 wat ur doin 4 Purity frm bhee thanks

4. Purity

Purity Member

Alright, thanks man. :D You've been a big help.

5. a_l_e_x

a_l_e_x Regular member

Thanks, and for the record, IC4 (and all other versions) have always had a launcher embedded.

6. Purity

Purity Member

7. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

jjak, how are you supposed to swap Cogswap with your backup on a slim console? It has no TOC refresh, no disc tray, and the slide card is useless. How do you do a swap, take out Cogswap and put in the backup, like with Swap Magic?(of course, without the console knowing it, having all the lid sensors pushed down to give the PlayStation 2 a signal that the lid is closed even if it's open.) I have one, and I see nothing saying how to swap with Cogswap on a slim, just the fat.

EDIT: I tried to burn CD Loader with MAX Media Creator, but for some reason, it won't burn to my CD(says there's no CD while there is a blank one inside.) and when I save it as a bin/cue, it's called Audio.bin/cue. What the heck? What am I supposed to do(or doing wrong)?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  8. jjax

jjax Guest

Ace_2 - Max media creator burns elf files and the like to an audio format so that ARMAX recognises them - all you do is load Nero (or equivalent) and choose "Burn: Image" and choose the .cue file (which directs to the .bin file). Once that's done, you load cdloader.elf and then swap for your cogswaploader disc. Once cogswap is loaded you can take the disc out, wont make a difference.
    The swapping issue is the same as with SwapMagic for slimline ps2.

9. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

Thanks jjax, that helps a lot. I burnt CD Loader and Cog-Swap, now later today, I'll try your trick and post what happens.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  10. jigoku

jigoku Guest

will this work with cd-rw?

11. bhee

bhee Regular member

i dont tink the fat ps2 can read rw but if u got da slim line it most probaly would

12. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

jjax,... I tried your swap trick. Guess what... [bold]IT WORKED![/bold]
    Finally, the perfect alternative to Swap Magic I've waited for since January! But, jjax, for CD backups, not sure if this can be done with DVD backups, Cog-Swap is not needed. When I swapped Action Replay MAX for Cog-Swap using CD Loader, it stayed stuck at a screen with a pink border, the galaxy in the background in orange, and Cog-Swap would keep on spinning. So, I tried just to directly swap Action Replay MAX when CD Loader made it stop spinning with my backup, and it worked as if it was an original. By the way, this was done on an SCPH-75001(Version 14) slim console using the old version that comes in a cardboard box.

This should get a sticky(whatever it is. Would it be possible to explain to me what a "sticky" is?).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  13. jjax

jjax Guest

Glad you've got it to work Ace_2 - cdloader will load PS2 CD backups no problem, but you need to get cogswaploader to load off that cd before you can load DVD backups. A few people are having the same problem with the cogswaploader disc made with the independence compiler program - i'm gonna revise the steps and see where this is going wrong (so you wont be stuck on the pink galaxy screen in cdloader)

14. bhee

bhee Regular member

i bought some verbatim cd-r 52x 700mb and i load max media creaotor and pik da drive n it says incert a balck disc n has anyone else got vrebatim cd-r like this.[​IMG]

15. gamer63

gamer63 Guest

ok i know i should have taken the time to read everything but im lazy so heres a question you have probely already heard, CAN I USE MY PSP AND THE USB FIREWIRE THINGY TO TRANSFER THE FILES TO MY PS2? AND ALSO WHAT DO I HAVE TO HAVE TO RUN GAMES FROM MY PC'S HDD TO THE PS2, GIVEN THE FACT I DONT HAVE A PS2 HDD? AND CAN I INSTALL SAY A WESTERN DIGITAL HDD IN IT OR DOES IT REALLY HAVE TO BE A STOCK HDD
    (caps lock was so you could tell my questions from my statements) thanxs in advance

16. gamer63

gamer63 Guest

oh yeah and with a soft modd like this would i be able to patch the games for online play? (like would i be able to run the patch code disk thingy you gotta get to get the patch)

17. Purity

Purity Member

When I was getting the messed up galaxy screen from your steps I'm 90% sure it was just because I burned my CD at way too high of a setting and it just didn't work right. After I burned the exact same thing slower it loaded just fine.

18. jjax

jjax Guest

Ah - thanks for that advice Purity, it may help the others who were having that problem ( i can't work out any other reason for the freeze at the galaxy screen ) - good stuff! ;-)

Gamer63 - i can't help you much on these questions, you're probably best asking elsewhere on the forums to get advice from experts on those topics!

Peace,

Jjax.

19. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

For Cog-Swap, IC3 makes a file called ausdigital.toc. Does that need to be copied too?

20. Purity

Purity Member

The ToC doesn't need to be copied. Just burn the image file that it makes to the disc. (With standard burning software it should just give you the list of things that can be burned and the .bin or .cue will show up, select it and burn away.)