Access to pc away from home

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by JJ636, Jul 22, 2004.

1. JJ636

JJ636 Member

Can you guys tell me How do I go about accessing my pc while I'm away from home (Two week vacation to Disney World). When I say access, I mean full control, just as if I was sitting in front of it. Do I require an App to do so or Does it operate through a service only. Is it fast? Is it sluggish? Do I have to shutdown my Firewall in order for it to work? Any information is appriciated

2. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Hey

First thing will be that, your home PC will need to be turned on all the time and on the internet all the time.

RealVNC that you can download from http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

You set up the program on your computer, and auto start the Server. Then you assign a password to the server.

Then on the comptuer you want to view the other comptuer from, you use the Viewer. You will then need to IP of your home comptuer, and the password to access it.

Regards
    CoZZa

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

If you run XP Pro the Remote Desktop works pretty good too.

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2004
  5. JJ636

JJ636 Member

Darn, I have XP Home

6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

darn it JJ636 -- i did some research to see if you could with XP home !!

Sadly for you -- it is one of the major difference with Xp Pro ~~

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

But i came across this :-
    Remote Desktop - All versions of Windows XP--including Home Edition--support Remote Assistance, which is an assisted support technology that allows a help desk or system administrator to remotely connect to a client desktop for troubleshooting purposes. But Only Pro supports the new Remote Desktop feature, which is a single-session version of Terminal Services with two obvious uses: Mobile professionals who need to remotely access their corporate desktop, and remote administration of clients on a network. You can access a Windows XP Remote Desktop from any OS that supports a Terminal Services client (such as Windows 98 and, interestingly XP Home). XP Home can act as the client in a Remote Desktop session; only Pro can be the server.
    So in the home Edition you can get assistance from someone remote -- It may be worth investigating further , maybe that is all you need !

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper !

Take Care.[/small]

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

After asking a few friends , I was highly recommended this Company that provides a Server and software for Remotely Accessing your PC with no hazzle. The rate for it is less then $20(US) on a monthly basis.

https://www.gotomypc.com/entry.tmpl?SessionInfo=116818938/3441F7BE10D93AF/null

Read the Press Review at:- https://www.gotomypc.com/pr/pressRelease.tmpl?SessionInfo=116818938/3441F7BE10D93AF/null&FileID=060904&SourceTemplate=entry.tmpl

Take Care.[/small]

8. JJ636

JJ636 Member

Thanks Guys for your help :) I'll be trying GoToMyPC trial V 4.0. Only thing about GOTOMYPC is that it only allows an hour connection. I don't know if thats just a trial feature or what. Does anyone know of a free service thats similar to GoToMyPC that allows unlimited remote access?

Thanks in Advance :)

9. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

JJ636 --

On that web site i thought i seen a Special TV Offer button somewhere -- and this gives you TRIAL for Free that will last 30 days. ! You gone for 2 weeks to Disney -- would be good ~~winkzzzzz !

Edited -- JJ the button is GREEN TV says TV Viewer Click Here on !

Take Care.[/small]