1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ace's Guides: The Cardboard and Straw MOD, a free alternative for modding a Version 13/14 PlayStation 2 for use with Swap Magic/Breaker Pro

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by Ace_2, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

Wanna MOD your Version 13 or 14 PlayStation 2? Don't want a chip? Don't want to use a MOD that will void your warranty? Want a free alternative to what's being sold on modchip websites? I've got the MOD that will do you all that.

To start, cut out a small square of cardboard(cereal box type), and shape it like MagicKeys II tool 1. This will need to be taped to the PlayStation 2's front lid sensor. It should look like this: http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/844/sensor1qh5.jpg

Second, cut a strip of cardboard that is slightly narrower than the disk break. Move the break with a pen, and tape the strip under where the discs go(it has to go next to the break). Basically, it's the same location as MagicKeys 2 Tool 2. Remember, don't put tape near the area of the laser. It should look like this: http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4930/discbreakje2.jpg

Last, and this is the hardest part of the MOD, cut off about 1/4 of a straw. Cut it in half lengthwise(bending it at an end) so that you have less problems to get the straw in the gap that's in between the metalic plates and lid hinge(pictures: straw: http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7356/strawoutml3.jpg where it goes: http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/3879/strawwhereitgoesnb1.jpg Stick the straw there, putting it in very slowly. You might want to turn on your console while doing that. Look at the laser as you stick the straw in. Get some tape ready. Once you see that the laser moves to the spindle and flashes, fix the straw so that it never moves out of place(the laser will stay where it is) and tape it with as many layers of tape as you need. It should look like this: http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1748/strawco4.jpg

To get the straw squarely on the switch is a pain in the neck. It took me 5 tries to get the straw on the sensor.
    There! You're ready to use Swap Magic or any other swap method on your Version 13/14 slim PlayStation 2.

Update March 2:
    Tip: When you stick the straw in the gap, if you put it straight in and it doesn't touch the switch, try to bend it to the left a bit.

Update March 19:
    Better description of Step 2.

Update March 25:
    (Sorry if this is getting too long)
    Tip: An easier way to know if you get the straw on the sensor: turn on the console with the lid open. Put a disc in and when you hear buzzing(indicates the laser is moving) after putting the straw in, twist what's out and tape it(you got it on the switch).

Update April 15:
    Slight edit to step 3.

1st Update September 8:
    Pictures, FINALLY! It's time to reveal what the MOD really looks like!

2nd Update September 8:
    Complete revamp of the guide.

Update December 2:
    I'm looking for someone who owns a Version 15(the new SCPH-77001 model PlayStation 2) to test out this MOD(preferrably with pictures), as I'm not sure if anything has been changed to make it harder to hit the lid sensors.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  2. dg089

dg089 Guest

Good idea, but wouldn't it just be easier just to buy swap magic. It only cost me $14.95. Good guide though.

Cheers,
    DG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2006
  3. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

You can buy Swap Magic but the lid sensors MUST be pushed down in order for it to work on the slim version.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  4. cygnus_76

cygnus_76 Member

when will pics become available? im curious to see this mod. and do any of you guys know if the swapmagic disc itself can be copied? and would the back up version work just the same?

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

6. cygnus_76

cygnus_76 Member

Thanks for the link ddp (is that like diamond dallas page that wrestler dude?), so DOES anyone know if you make like a 1:1 backup of swap magic will it boot like the original disc?

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

nope, not diamond dallas page. just the intials of my full name minus my middle name as doesn't flow right.

8. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

ddp, sorry to say this(this should go to cygnus_76), but that's not my MOD. I'll have some pictures of it soon(not right now because I don't have anything to take pictures of the MOD and post it). If one thing's for sure, it does not look at all like that.

9. Yoti

Yoti Regular member

I have heard that you can not make a 1:1 back up copy of swap magic.

10. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

Not quite sure about that, but Swap Magic is supposed to be the parts of a PlayStation 2 game that can't be burnt(probably some special coding that the console looks for in the disc, and if it does not find it, it knows it's a backup.).

11. cygnus_76

cygnus_76 Member

I see...that makes sense.

cygnus

12. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

What makes sense, that you can't copy Swap Magic or that the link is not my MOD?

By the way, soon, I will perform this MOD on my friend's Version 12 slim, so when I do the MOD on it(straw should be placed a different way in front of the metalic clip at the rear of the hinge), I will post instructions on how to do it on a Version 12.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  13. cygnus_76

cygnus_76 Member

yeah, it makes sense that you can't copy swap magic...too bad. anyone know where the best place to purchase it is? best deal i mean...
    ive learned so much from you guys, thanks(a single tear drops from cygnus's left eye) cant wait to see the pics.

---cygnus

14. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

Try jjax's Action Replay MAX guide to load backups. It's the perfect alternative to Swap Magic. You can have a look at it here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/291684
    It worked for me(except for Cog-Swap), so it should work for you.

EDIT: cygnus, as soon as I get a digital camera with a USB cable, I'll take pictures of my modded PlayStation 2 and post them.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  15. philraz

philraz Regular member

oops

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  16. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

Oops for what?

17. philraz

philraz Regular member

I was refering your thread to another member in another thread and hit reply in the wrong window

18. 007PStwo

007PStwo Regular member

Can you still close the lid with this mod?

19. 007PStwo

007PStwo Regular member

I opened mine up and taped it but this weekend my sister is getting a v14 as a present and im wondering if this mod will work.

20. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

Yes. Only thing is, it's a little harder as the thickness of the twisted section of the straw forces on the lid, but after a while of keeping the lid down, the straw will get thinner, and it will force less on the lid.