Address Bar in IE 7

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by MindF, Feb 8, 2008.

1. MindF

MindF Member

I'd like to know how to delete information stored in the Address bar in Windows Internet Explorer 7,preferably without deleting the "History".I've tried deleting the "Form Data"(in which the help file states this information should be stored) but it still doesn't clear this info.
    Anyone know the default name and location of the folder which stores this information?

2. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

MindF,

Right click on Start Menu, then click on Properties. Go to Start Menu tab, then click on Customize. Afterwards, go to Advanced tab. Under the Recent documents box, click on Clear List; this will clear the history of IE address bar, as well as the lists of recent documents being used or opened.

3. MindF

MindF Member

Pryme_H,thanks for replying,

This is the method i use to clear the recent documents list :

Left click on Start Menu,Settings,Taskbar and Start Menu,Start menu,Customise and click on the "clear" tab.
    Clicking the "advanced" tab brings up Start menu folders which are irrelevant.
    After performing this "Clear" task,closing and re-opening the web browser window,there is still a history of previously visited sites in the address bar.

Any other suggestions?

4. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

I see the method you used. Did you try mine?

5. MindF

MindF Member

Ok,i see what you mean now.I had "Classic start menu" selected instead of "Start menu".
    Anyways, after applying and closing browser it still hasn't worked.
    If it's not "Form" data,what is it??

6. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Did you have List my most recently opened documents box checked before you clicked Clear List? Also, make sure IE is closed whe performing this.

7. dougal58

dougal58 Regular member

8. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Would this work in XP? I noticed it's not listed under system requirements.

9. jemaric

jemaric Member

thanks for the aplet

10. MindF

MindF Member

"Did you have List my most recently opened documents box checked before you clicked Clear List? Also, make sure IE is closed whe performing this."

Ok,i've tried it with "List my most recently opened documents" box checked and unchecked with browser closed and it still doesn't do the job.

dougal58,i have windows XP SP2.Dunno if that prog will work for me,but i'll try it as a last resort!

11. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

I honestly don't know why it isn't working on your end. If you have admin rights, you could just use CCleaner.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  12. MindF

MindF Member

If i had to delete files in my browsing history to clear the address bar info(i.e "Form Data"),what's the minimum i'd have to delete?

I'm thinking maybe the history should be cleared 1st and performing the "Clear recent documents task" would work from then on clearing the info of my current session?

Just exhausting alternatives to installing a program that might cause problems for me.Thanks for the program suggestions anyways.

13. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

MindF,
    CCleaner is a great freeware tool that can maximize the speed and efficiency of program executions in your PC. It contains no Spyware or Adaware. If I may ask, why do you want to preserve the "History" anyway?

14. MindF

MindF Member

"If I may ask, why do you want to preserve the "History" anyway?"

Well i'm not the only person using the internet on this computer.Others may want to refer to it to open webpages they haven't bookmarked,i don't know.
    If i'm deleting the history on a consistant basis it may arouse suspicion as to what kind of material i'm looking at! ;)
    I could do without this address bar's helpful intuition really.

Question about CCleaner : Looking at the screenshot you've provided,all i have to do is check "Recently Typed URL's" and leave everything else unchecked yeah?

I've only doubted this program because there seems to be quite a few posts related to it in Afterdawn forums.As i'm not the most technically minded person,i'm afraid i'll mess somethin up.haven't even backed up the computer.Such a technophob!

15. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Yes. Don't mess with nothing else...