1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advanced Azo??

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by paztelu, Jun 10, 2005.

1. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

Well I have seen that verbs say that they have advanced Azo dye?? what is The Azo Dye?? what are its pros and cons? what it is made of, could someone help me?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Advanced AZO is one of the worst discs on the market.
    Advanced METAL AZO made by Verbatim is one of the best - period !

Check it out yourself
    http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Cheers,

3. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

Hi, so you mean advanced azo are a brand of disc, I though Advanced azo was a technology used In the DYE, Im no using verbs with the advanced Azo technology and I wanted to know what pros and cons this technology brings to this discs. ;-)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  4. pieman

pieman Regular member

scubapete, whats going on here......my legit verbatim datalife plus -r 8x say advanced azo....no mention of metal!!!!

5. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

here is some more clarification on the advanced azo topic..i had replied quite a few times in VARIOUS threads about Verbatims, but ALL the credit should go to creaky for his searching skills. :)

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/194749

check that thread, the other threads that he linked i spoke at lengths about they AZO dyes/differences/similarities w/ another member~ :p

hope that helps a bit~

6. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

7. pieman

pieman Regular member

jim-dandy, not sure bout that....I dont see great in his post!!I read the link from kivory 666, thanks....there is a definate differance between the verbs made in india and the ones made in taiwan..appearance for one,performance another.The indian ones just about pass but border on shitek!

8. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Well great azo is a crappy disc, and its possible that scubapete just got the name wrong.I googled the name advanced azo, and all I found was verbatim. I know pete well enough to tell you that he highly endorses verbatim.

9. pieman

pieman Regular member

thats good enough for me then jd thanks!

10. arniebear

arniebear Active member

11. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

sorry, i guess i read scubapete's post too fast, i THINK he does mean the manufacturer/brand that is horrible~ i would have to agree there, i kind of went off on a tangent about the actual DYE processes used in the Verbatim media~ my misinterpretation~ :)

either way, hope the info i provided helps with a tiny part of the topic at hand regarding the DYE on Verbatims used...

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

cor look what happens when i'm at work, i miss out on Verb posts. I only started looking for new posts this afternoon as took a break over the weekend.

Right....i must admit i skim-read anything that says Azo, though it looks like i missed the 'Great Azo' bit. Fear not i shall read this thread properly and work out the distinction.

As for the Indian Verbs i believe they're old stock. I've use loads without a single problem myself (i bought them thru Ebuyer at the time, though i just use www.svp.com now)

13. creaky

Righ, i checked JD's Meritline link. I can honestly say i'd not heard of those, however now that i've seen them i'd avoid them purely as they're obviously trying to look like quality by simply having Azo in the name. Err no i don't think so!.

14. arniebear

arniebear Active member

The +R 8x GreatAZO is going to come up Ritek003 but the -R is generic ID and I would not really purchase this brand. My two cents :~)

15. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I copied this from one of ScubaPete's posts
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/133106

I personally have never used "great azo" media, but I've seen the name thrown around before.If somebody says they dont like a certain media, and that someone, is a person I respect,then I'm not buying that media.We're supposed to learn by mistakes, either our own, or other peoples.

That being said...Can you believe how manufactures try to deceive us buyers just by a name, like Great Azo,HQ,etc.
    Pretty soon they will come out with a name like NC(not crappy)RG(real good)JP(just peachy)
    BUYER BEWARE.

later guys
    jD

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  16. creaky

'Pretty soon they will come out with a name like NC(not crappy)RG(real good)JP(just peachy)' - lmao , well put JD :)

17. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Now that is the brand for me, lol :~)

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy all,

To attempt to shed some light on things, When the AZO first came on the scene they were the property of Verbatim, and considered, "Top of the line". About 6 months ago Verbatim released the name (AZO) and began making "Advanced Metal AZO" mostly made by MCC and I believe one package made by TY. With the release of the name AZO, it was picked up by a several Mfgrs, the biggest of them, "Great AZO". If you want a treat, put Great AZO into DVD Identifier and you'll find the Mfgr listed as a holding company that does no Mfgring at all. In fact, they sub the actual making of Great AZO discs out to 9 different companies under 12 contracts - all 9 companies are "no name" companies and, as should be expected, the quality is unbelievably poor.

Back to Verbatim ~ some long time ago, there were indeed some Verbatim made by CMC and, as should be expected, the quality isn't consistent BUT those days are gone. Yes, you'll still see some older stockpiles around BUT they are all 2X discs. Any Verbatim's, 4X and higher will be made by MCC, possibly a few by Taiyo Yuden with some very, very few, I believe older stockpiles of DVD's, made by Ricoh. Discs not made by Verbatim that sport the word AZO should not be trusted. Though to attach the name to their discs they must use the dye and app BUT the composite discs is of a poor quality the pressed on dye tends to be uneven, sometimes even "Spotty".

Some notes on other discs, Fuji +R are fine discs where their -R discs are not. The same holds true for Maxell, +R = good, while their -R = not to be trusted.

The US government has promised to streamline the media business so that it's not so confusing BUT they've been saying that for over a year and I've seen no evidence of even the beginning of a change. Perhaps, when Hell freezes over (Lol). Until then, we'll keep checking our discs with DVDIdentifier and DVDInfoPro AND we'll continue to monitor pple who report errors.

Again, though the newer discs are stamped 12X, we should remember that that writing speed is good for Data, not for Video work. Even using Taiyo Yuden's and Verbatim 8X Advanced Metal AZO and DataLife PLUS, I've found writing errors at speeds over 8X and every once in awhile, a coaster. Using the "top of the line" discs, I've found 6X speed to be fairly dependable BUT when adding Ritek and Ricoh to the mix, I suggest staying at 4X. It's not worth it to me to save a minute or two when I know, if I burn at 4X all the time, I can reasonably expect a 100% perfect copy. By the same token, even the very best discs are prone to being tapped on the disc edge where chipping of the disc and dye can occur with regularity. It seems a shame to have that happen, thereby making a disc unplayable so, for that reason alone, I continue to recommend setting the DVD Target size to 4360MB. I like having that little extra bit of disc protecting my DVD's from a tragic end.

I hope I removed some of the mystery from this confusing topic.

Cheers all,

Pete

19. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

The only thing(that I can tell) I dont agree with is... I have Fuji-r 8x I.D. as TYGO2,very good stuff,as long as you can find the one's marked made in Japan,your golden.

Thanks for clearing the Advanced/Great Azo debate up for us ScubaPete :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  20. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

Well I know -R fuji can be trusted if their made in japan (I have at least 50 of those, although already burned) but the made in taiwan (The only stock now) are by prodisc and not very good so that is in part true, although I just bough a 50 spindle of +R and they are TT02 and their very good quality.

PS: I plan to buy a 50 pack of DVD+R JP, what do you think?