ADVICE NEEDED AFTER FITTING 1394 CARD

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by gilera, Nov 30, 2006.

1. gilera

gilera Regular member

I have fitted a 1394 card and connected my DV camcorder to computer, all has been recognised but where do i go from here? I have tried virtual dub but i cannot find any video here with Camera running. Do i need something else or can i save Camera input direct to hard drive somehow?
    Any suggestions please?

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You need a capture program to capture the video to your hard drive. You can use Windows MovieMaker, but there are also other free utilities like WinDV etc.

3. gilera

gilera Regular member

Are you saying that Virtual Dub will not do it? When i right click on camera i get a message saying, ( Creation of the video preview failed.Please check the device connection and make sure that the device is not being used by another application or user ). Could this be my problem?
    I will download WinDV and see what happens.

4. gilera

gilera Regular member

I note that the firewire connection should give me control over camera, should this work without loading any other software and if so how please? I cannot see any visuals controls for this facility. My camera is a Sharp VL-SD20H. I would be delighted to hear from any other user of this camera.See my previous post for message i am getting.

5. gilera

gilera Regular member

Have loaded WinDV OK but it does not see camera,option in window is Microsoft DV Camera and VCR or web cam.How do i get it to recognise my Camera?

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Selecting Microsoft DV camera should do the job.

7. gilera

gilera Regular member

Thats what i thought should happen but when i select capture with camera running i do not get picture or audio, something appears to be missing?

8. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Wheb you connect the camcorder and turn the power on (in VCR mode) can you see the camcodrer in the device manager?
    If so, WinDV should also see it. Make sure you set the camcorder in VCR mode. You alss odon't neet to press play on the camcorder. When you press capture in WinDV the camcorder should start playing automatically.

9. gilera

gilera Regular member

Yes it is recognised as Sharp DV camera. WinDV says it is capturing when i select capture but nothing shows or moves ie. counter.

10. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Does the camcorder start playing when you press capture in WinDV?
    You can also try DVApp. That has device control so you can check if the communication between the PC and camcorder is functioning OK

11. gilera

gilera Regular member

No there is no control of camera. I have downloaded and tried DVapp.
    It appears similar to WinDV. It says it is initialising and then nothing. The buttons all work albeit with a delay but that is as far as i can get. I am beginning to think that this camera does not put out 1394 at all although manual says it is Ieee 1394.

12. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

You say that your camcorder connected through Firewire is visible in the device manager. This proves that the IEEE1394 interface is OK. There is something else going on but I have to start guessing. First thing to check if there is setting in the camcorder that tells you that video is output through the DV port. Maybe it is disabled.
    If that is set OK, it is either a camcorder failure or there is something wrong with the Firewire card or the cable. You then will have to test the camcorder on another system, or test another camcorder on your system to find out what's the problem

13. gilera

gilera Regular member

Thanks for your help TPFKAS i have sent a question to Sharp UK. about whether there is something hidden in camera controls but i have looked over the manual and cannot see anything. So as you say i need to try camera on somebodys computer.The computer says the firewire card is working OK, i do not know how much you can believe it.

14. kopend

kopend Guest

hi all I have the same problem fitted a firewire port and the computer is telling me it as found the port and all is fine and the software is telling me no device found read the instructions to see if the camrea needs to open the 1394 port but there is no setting on there i have tried at least 4 types of software and the same thing no device found I have run out of ideas what else can i do help please

15. gilera

gilera Regular member

What Camera are you using kopend?

16. kopend

kopend Guest

thanks for the reply gilera the camera is a panisonic nv-gs27 I have treid different software, the computer says the port is working ok but none of the software I have installed does not pick the device up just don,t know what is wrong any help please would be greatfully received

17. gilera

gilera Regular member

I have given up 1394 for the time being i will try again at a later date. Meantime i have fitted a TV card which has a recording ability. In Video or SVHS to MPEG, AVI or DVD file. This works fine and quality is OK, i do not know how much better 1394 would be.
    What i need now is a Video editing programme, any suggestions please.