1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adware problem called "r.srvtrck"

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by oppie2, Mar 23, 2020.

1. oppie2

oppie2 Newbie

I'm having an annoying problem with adware/tracking called "r.srvtrck". I looked it up online and tried a number of suggestions but all to no avail: I went into programs and features (windows 10) to see if I could uninstall but found nothing that shouldn't be there. Another suggestion was to set security from enhanced to strict … it didn't stop the redirecting but caused other problems. Another article stated that a program called Adwcleaner by Malwarebytes would remove it … it didn't. It's getting to be a real pain in the backside … I'm forever being redirected to other sites many of which Norton won't open because they're "dangerous". Does anyone know how I can rid myself of this nuisance? Your help is most appreciated. Thank You.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

3. oppie2

oppie2 Newbie

Thank you for the response but I decided to go about this in a different way. Before trying Malwarebytes, I read a warning in another website which amounted to this: depending on the source of the adware/malware, it is sometimes attached to the preinstalled software from the computer's manufacturer which keeps certain basic functions operating. It stated that if Malwarebytes identifies such preinstalled software from HP or whatever as the source, you could get into a tough situation if it quarantines the wrong thing. It suggested that it's much safer to just go to the partitioned hardrive in my computer and reinstall the operating system. My computer is new so I won't have much reinstalling to do. I had to do that once long ago because of a virus that antivirus software couldn't isolate and it worked like a charm so rather than take my chances, that's what I'm going to do. I wouldn't have wasted so much time if I'd just done that it the first place. At any rate, I do thank you for the help.

aldan likes this.