1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ahhh I BROKE it!

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by xshredx, Dec 13, 2004.

1. df65

df65 Member

you cant measure the capacitance in-circuit. I suggest you try a standard smd value of 100nF it wont cause any harm at all.

Capacitance meter are not so common, you need to remove capacitor and measure it externally, not easy, plus risk of damage again for any one who tries. These are normally fixed in place by a little adhesive during manufacture.

just try teh the standard it should work if everything else is okay.

2. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

oh good thinking,

I have a capacitance meter, which clips into a digital multimeter, Id lend it to youl, but uno, your probably thousands of kilometers away from me.

You can test normal capacitors on resistance setting in a NORMAL multimeter, but only to tell if they are a capacitor, or maybe not, but its weird, you have to short the leads together to get rid of the charge and stuff.

I dont know what a capacitor would do on a main board (well all capicitors store a charge, obviously and there are many types, hopefully only 1 smd type), but on a power supply it would be for decoupling to stop distortion, ie. voltage drastically dropping up and down, but they use electrolytics not SMDs.

If you have long leads on a capacitor tester, and the circuit is OFF you can test them while there in, because nothing is short circuiting or discharging, I would have to think, but I have not done this with a PS2, so I may be wrong with that, cant hurt to try.

3. Scotz

Scotz Member

Think I have broken something too! Just installed the Duo 2SE chip and am getting disc read errors displayed on the start up screen with any PS2game or DVD I insert in it. I have a version 9 PS2 and a clicking sound coming from the lazer, at startup it also goes straight to system configuration and displays no data and disk read error Can anyone please provide some advice?

4. cool_jct

cool_jct Member

I have my V7 apart and I just measured the ill fated resistor. Its 2.3 Meg Ohms. You could connect one end of a new resistor to the SCEX point and the other to the end of the trace where there is a solder connection point. I checked the continuity and they are connected.

5. xshredx

xshredx Regular member

[bold]df65[/bold]: so you're saying that if i just use a 100nF, it won't put out too much/too little voltage that could damage the ps2? do you know about any canadian websites that sell electronic components like smd capacitors? (i live in Vancouver, BC Canada)

and about checking your V9 ps2 for a similar circuit, this is the V9 diagram from the official Matrix Infinity website:
    http://www.infinitymod.com/matrix/files/chips/Matrix Infinity/V09/USA-V9.JPG
    I believe that the capacitor that we are reffering to is the component that the SCEX is pointing to (in the V7 diagram it is pointing to the resistor right beside it).

[bold]epepper9[/bold]: do you mean normal, as in an analog multimeter? i have one but it has the same features as my digital one.

[bold]Scotz[/bold]: Sounds like you have the ol' DRE problem. I've been successful in fixing my friend's scph30001 PS2's disc read errors by adjusting the angle between the laser and the disc. The same thing happened before i fixed it, it kept making clicking noises, which is the lens moving up and down, trying to read the data. Before you go about adjusting the angle, LIGHTLY dab the lens with a Q-Tip soaked in rubbing alcohol and let it dry.

The best guide i've ever seen so far:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars
    Since you have a V9, locations of certain components may vary. good luck and be careful.

[bold]cool_jct[/bold]: did you measure the thing circled in green? sorry, it was my mistake, but we confirmed that the resistor indicated was actually a capacitor.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  6. Scotz

Scotz Member

Thanks xshredx, i'll give that a go

7. xshredx

xshredx Regular member

no problem

most of the time, simply cleaning your ps2, especially the lens(carefully!) can do the trick and may save you the troble of adjusting the level of the lens.

8. xshredx

xshredx Regular member

9. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

I ment normal, as in a multimeter without a capacitance setting, I dont know what happens though, you sort of discharge the legs together, then test resistance and the resistance will grow as it is charged by the multimeter.
    I have never tried this, just read it in a book.

10. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

Oh another question from you..
    ok, I believe SMDs are similiar to tantalum types, get one of these, or a tantalum SMD (tantalums are low leakage).

Oh ok I just checked, I cant be bothered editing what I wrote above, but there are also electrolytic SMDs, so If you aren't going for a SMD get a suitable tantalum or electrolytic, however they are polarised so be careful!!!

11. xshredx

xshredx Regular member

well i'm pretty sure that it isn't an electrolytic smd, since they look like this:
    [​IMG]
    Awwww MAN now i have to get a "tantalum" or what not capacitor!? This whole dillema would have been over if i could just use my orange-drop/box style caps...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    ^^these are the ones that i already have^^

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  12. xshredx

xshredx Regular member

and how can i tell where the positive and negative ends go?

13. df65

df65 Member

100nF and 0.1 uF are the same :) these are non polarized so there is no +ve or -ve, do not use any electrolytic types.

I do not live in canada, but you can find these at any electrnoice hobby shops etc.

does yuor ps2 power up and work ? This cap is possibly for decoupling the power supply most probably.

14. xshredx

xshredx Regular member

tantalum caps are polarized, but are smd ones polarized? would it hurt to just use this???

[​IMG]

15. cool_jct

cool_jct Member

I did measure the thing in green. However, 2.3 Meg Ohm is almost an open, so I am not surprised if its a cap.

16. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

Tantalum=polarised
    electrolytics=polarised, except some special ones
    greencaps=non polarised
    ceramics=non-polarised

The ones you have look like red greencaps(I know, sounds weird)
    -you can use anything instead of ceramics, but not vise versa, you can use electrolytics or tantalums instead of greencaps, but not the other way around, so probably go for high voltage electrolytics, ask your electronic supplier which is - and which is +.

17. Scotz

Scotz Member

Thanx xshredx, it worked perfectly. Just made my first copy and it works. I made it using decrypter. Im not that bothered but since the chip installation my PS2 Version 9 chipped with DUO2SE wont play DVD movies, its displays the message please install a Playstation 2 disc. Any thoughts and thankyou once again.

Regards

Scotz

18. xshredx

xshredx Regular member

you're welcome, glad everything worked out.

after several attempts, my matrix infinity chip finally works flawlessly! the 100nF cap wouldn't let me boot ps1 originals/copies. I emailed the matrix team, and they gave me the exact value of the cap, which was a 0.0047uF(4700pF) ceramic 10% 50V. i'm glad it wasn't a tantalum, otherwise i would have no clue where the positive and negative ends go.

anyways, i would like to thank all of you for all of your help and suggestions! i really appreciated all of your input.

oh and Scotz, so let me get this straight: you installed a Duo 2SE chip into your v9 ps2. it wouldn't read ps2/dvd's, so you would get a disc read error. you did the disc read error fix, and it worked, but now you can't read dvds, is that right?

When I installed the matrix infinity, at one point it could only read ps1 games, and not dvd's or ps2 games. it didn't display a disc read error, it would just continue to make clicking noises. i tried doing the disc read error fix, and it wouldn't help. what i did was i resoldered the scex point and everything worked fine after that.

check your soldering and look for any bridges(two points that are connected, but are not supposed to be). when looking for bridges, a digital multimeter helps a lot. if you suspect a bridge between two points, set your meter on the resistance setting (ohms=Ω), and place the leads on each point. if the meter says 0 ohms then there is a connection between these two points.

good luck and merry christmas!

19. sheaman

sheaman Member

maybe you sould try buying a new one and solderng it one

20. sheaman

sheaman Member

maybe you sould try buying a new one and solderng it one