alexa toolbar

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by bartyboy7, May 31, 2005.

1. bartyboy7

bartyboy7 Guest

does anyone know how to get rid of this bastard toolbar. i cant uninstall it because its not in my add/remove programs. i have ran numerous spy ware programs but still no luck

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check your msconfig or if know how to use regedit use that

3. bartyboy7

bartyboy7 Guest

thanks for your reply but i dont understand what you just said. bit of a computer amateur.sorry for my ignorance

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

spysweeper has a free trial of 7 days used to be a 30 day trial so def. try it

6. Debugger1

Debugger1 Member

Apart from the antispyware u can remove it yourself here is how:

1)Control Panel>Internet Properties>Programs(submenu)>Manage Ad-ons(button)

2)Here you have 2 options u can either uncheck the spyware dll file (this option will disable the spyware loading from your IE)
    OR u can write down it's name, switch to safe mode and delete it!

7. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

I used to see this one one of my systems all the time. Spybot and adaware would not see it. This is a BHO thing. I just turned off the BHO and it was gone. but you can look at this link to see if it helps any: http://www.spyany.com/program/article_ad_rm_Alexa_ToolBar.html .

There are many ways to turn off BHO butI will give the spybot method. No they are not detected in spyware scans.
    Install Spybot 1.3 (1.2 does not have the following options)
    Open the program and click on "Mode" at the top of the window. Select advanced. Then click yes to confirm.
    now you will notice 3 new buttons on the bottom left.
    Click on the one that says "Tools".
    Now on the right side look for an internet explorer Icon that says BHOs under it, Double click that.
    You are now looking at the BHOs on your system. Look for any that do not have a green check mark next to it.
    Click on the ones without a check mark for more information on it.
    If it does not look familiar, is empty, or wierd marks then click Remove just above the list.
    Clicking them a second time will not colapse them.

Not all BHOs are bad. So if any have information about a lagitamate program on your system then you can leave it alone (even if it does not have a green check mark)

-Del