1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An idea for the guy who needs to convert PAL to NTSC:

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sadsac, Mar 9, 2005.

1. cecehang

cecehang Guest

ok, this is how you do it....

first, forget the menus. in order to keep them you have to re-author a dvd. not a big deal but, it's time consuming so, forget it.

this works perfectly for the main movie.

1) rip the main movie in your dvd to your hard drive using whatever you want (dvdshrink, dvddecryptor, mactheripper or whatever you want to use to rip the damn dvd) this should take no more than 20 min.

2) find the .vob files and rename the .vob extension to .mpg. yeah, now it's an .mpg.

3) use a conversion proggy (whichever you want to re-code the .mpg to .mpg2 NTSC) i use sorenson squeeze 4.5. yes, it's expensive as shit but, i don't care. i'm a producer. or, you can just drag the .mpgs into nero and it will encode them.

4) after squeeze (or whatever you used) convert them to .mpg2 NTSC, then burn them on a dvd using nero or if you want to do it like a smart guy, then use a dvd authoring proggy (like dvd architect) and re-author your menus and make it all pertie.

so far, this is the only way to do this properly. film for pal is shot at 25 fps and ntsc is shot at 29.97. there is no proper conversion for this. if your film was shot at 25 frames/second and you transfer (color correct) a pull-down at 25 and then encode an .mpg at 25 then you're missing frames when you re-encode to 29.97 (jerkiness). the better the program you use, the better the interpolation algorithms you get for your new file. nothing else, nothing new...

have fun!

-guy, pretending to be a chick with big tits

2. sxechic

sxechic Member

nevermind

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  3. Doah_

Doah_ Member

So..what's the conclusion? What is the best way to copy,remake PAL DVD TO NTSC DVD with menius and all extras?I have tons of DVD's in PAL mode and i need to make them all in NTSCDVD with menius and all extras.Is there some kind of expensive software or special trix w programs you mention above to get the results i need?Thanks.

4. yromashin

yromashin Guest

Hello Doah_,

Why do you HAVE to do this? I do not know any program to do this with MENUs and extras.

However, if you buy cheap DVD player like Philips, it will play everything for you. Fro example, Philips DVP 642 (I own it) costs $49 CAD in Wal-Mart. Other players like Toshiba (I own it too) play PAL as well. Samsung plays PAL too. Now I have Sony (NTSC only) and Philips connected to Yamaha receiver and watch anything I want.

Roma

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Doah_...Why do U need the Menus,,,If its just to go to a particular point in the Movie,then ConvertX will do that...Makes pal,ntsc...If U want the Xtras just drag them into ConverX behind your Movie,it will setup your DVD as it were a series & U can select individuals from your DVD player menu

6. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  7. Doah_

Doah_ Member

Well,...It's not for me personally ...I did see complete Ntsc dvd with menius,extras and so on ,witch was done from PAL DVD.Can't figure that out how it was done,that guy who did those dvd's joined an Army or smth...can't reach him.
    So,i have to make same thing for my friend and its almost 100 DVD from europe(russian).I was trying to see information on ifo edit and it shows that those dvd were made in dvd lab pro.Maybe just part of it..probably just video and subtitles.
    I do have one of those dvd players,so i can watch pal dvd and ntsc without problems.
    But i have to make conversion from PAL DVD to NTSC DVD (full disk).I thought it's gonna be easy,but i was wrong.I promise my friend that i will do it..and i have a big road block now in my way..
    Do you guys know..how to do it?I have some guides from different forums,but those guides not in the order..i keep messing something up..If anybody knows ,can you tell me what i have to do first with some more details and so on?..Thank you very much for reading this..:)I hope i can find solution..

8. Doah_

Doah_ Member

Guide to consider

Can this be done ( full Pal DVD 2 NTSC DVD)?Can somebody look at this and tell ,how good that guide is and maybe it's possible to tweak it?

1) Decrypt by CELL ID the VOBS that have menus on it.

- if the menus are NOT animated, then most surely, you won't be able to import them directly to DVD Lab, so you most drag that cell (file containing the menu) and drop it on Mpeg VCR and press the Picture button, then, when prompted to save it as, save it as a BMP and you are done.
    Import the BMP into DVD Lab under the Backgrounds tab. You won't need to resize nor do anything more.
    If theres background music on it, put it, you wont need to change it, since the BMP is not animated, it wont need synching.
    - if menus ARE animated, then you should convert them to NTSC (I use Main Concept MPEG Encoder,
    everything is very straight forward and accepts VOBs, the Audio comes out synched to the Video, so you won't need to synch it from somewhere else; the downside is that AC3 files are converted to MPEG Stereo, if the AC3 source file is Stereo, the you can convert it back to AC3 later).

After you have done that, go ahead and import the video and audio into DVD Lab and put them into a Menu.

----Please remember to choose in the Stream for MpegEncoder in -Video and Audio-, so you'll get the video in one file and the audio in another one (so you can convert this Audio into AC3 afterwards)

2) Decrypt the other videos included on the DVD remembering to change to BY File (not Cell ID).

- Take all the resulting videos and convert them to NTSC with Main Concept MPEG Encoder.

3) Here come the best part:
    - Put every NTSC file and Audio into DVD Lab and recreate the whole dvd (in the connections window).
    - Create the navigation with the buttons and all (you create the buttons, I used small rectangles and underlines, to make the links)
    - Mux

How is that?I would like to get more details on that..but for know thats all i have...I am going to try and see how that goes..

9. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Doah_..why don't U just rip your DVD with DVD Decrypter.Then just use VobBlanker

10. Doah_

Doah_ Member

I did tryed..maybe i am doing something wrong or that VobBlanker thing does not work for me at all.I was getting very bad DVD's,picture shaky,pixalated and different colors running across tv screen.
    Can u point me to the guide how to use VobBlanker to make PAL2NTSC DVD?Maybe i should look again and try one more time.Thanks

11. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

12. dondds

dondds Guest

Doah ... go back to page 1 of this thread and read the messages. You will find several examples of using VobBlanker and IFOEdit. The conversion w/menus have been done with this combination. I found it helpful to read the questions and suggestions in this thread.

Don

13. Doah_

Doah_ Member

Need some assistance,

I did my menu to ntsc with numenu4uand sonic scenarist,and main movie with Tmpgenc.Does anybody knows how to put that new menu and new movie together?If you know,share with more details please.
    I am not a pro or smth. and i am running out of ideas..
    thanks.

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Doah_,,Your just spinning your wheels trying to use two different programs 2 do 1 thing..You really need to consentrate on 1 program 2 do it all.Just remember TRY,TRY, & TRY again.The more mistakes U make the closer U will come 2 mastering a program.Really folllow instructions,and re-read every time U use a program.But keep tryin other methods & other programs till U find what suits U.All the old hats here aren't going to steer U wrong,THEY'VE BEEN DOIN IT FOR A WHILE NOW,believe me if it was easy somebody would charge U for it.or it would be banned

15. Doah_

Doah_ Member

yeahh...looks like i am on my own.
    If u guys,who know some stuff ,can't figure that out,that means it's no chance for me at all.
    Does anybody know about Numenu4u and how to "eat" that program?,can't find any good guides on that subject.

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Doah_Numenu4u..I don't recall this ever being mentioned in these forums.
    Can you tell me exactly why U need Menus

17. Demon1777

Demon1777 Regular member

Ok i tried this with VOBBLANKER for the first time and got a few results well i played the disc back on my sony dvd player in my room and i got the green at the top and bottom of the screen and it has the menu and all but the green does not go away it stays there and the dvd does not play all the way thru..it will play some then stop and say something about cannot read it...so i tried it in my sony dvd recorder in the living room and it don't have the green at the top and bottom of the screen but still the dvd will not play all the way thru....it will play some then stop saying something like cannot read disc....can someone help!!!?

18. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

not read all this thread as its just came up but for main movie only dvd, use a free app called dvd flick / set options / click go...

19. Demon1777

Demon1777 Regular member

You know that this thread is about converting pal format disc into ntsc versions...not about just plain burning dvds...i know how to do that

20. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

pal to ntsc OR ntsc to pal = DVD FLICK a dvd to dvd software (main movie only)

a awesome free app

couldnt be easier...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008