1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An idea for the guy who needs to convert PAL to NTSC:

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sadsac, Mar 9, 2005.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

double posted sorry

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2005
  2. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Glad to see you guys are having success with my suggestion. I haven't been here in a while, but happened to log on this morning.

3. gfofiv

gfofiv Member

I'm new here. I was solely directed here because of posting this same request elsewhere.

Dude, I just want to say, "You are the shit!!!"

I really fuggin hate it when someone will post a question and just get hate spam by all those suppose to be guru's tellin them to do a search first. How do they know whether or not we have previously searched and the crap these idiots post doesn't do anyone any good.

So once again, I bow to you homie, GJ.

BTW, I will try this out over the next few hours or less. For Nero, what version should I use? Is it free from where?

L8s

4. Sobchak

Sobchak Guest

sadsac, here's an update. I've been watching my converted DVD and find that there is a lot of jerkiness in the motion on the screen. The sound is still properly synced, but sometimes the people look like they are doing "The Robot" and the screen jumps a lot.

I'm looking into developing a script for AVIsynth to do a proper conversion. Don't know how to do it myself yet. Have done much research on the issue and have discovered that anyone who knows how to write an AVIsynth script does not know how to write a coherent sentence in plain English.

No good answers so far, but I'll update this thread on my results. In the meantime, I think you have found a good interim answer to allow viewing of a PAL DVD, but it's not as perfect as I originally thought.

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Changing the framerate for video in AviSynth is easy:

AssumeFPS(23.976)

The problem is that the audio will also need to be changed. If you have uncompressed 2 channel audio (which is rare) you can use this version of it:

AssumeFPS(23.976,true)

Then you'll end up with audio at the correct length, but no longer at the correct frequency for DVD because of being stretched. You could then use VirtualDub to save the audio as a wave file and re-sample it to 48kHz with the audio application of your choice. Alternatively you could try authoring the DVD with the slightly incorrect audio sampling and see if it gives you any problems.

If the audio is compressed (AC3, DTS, MPA) you run into a few more complications. First off you need to either decompress it before using it in an AviSynth script or use an AviSynth plugin that can read it. If you want to keep the original format you also need to have software to compress it again when you're done. If there are more than 2 channels it gets much more complicated.

For changing the resolution you can use any of AviSynth's built in resizers:

Lanczos4Resize(720,480)
    or
    LanczosResize(720,480)
    or
    BicubicResize(720,480)
    or
    BilinearResize(720,480)

The list is sorted according to how sharp the picture will end up. Generally speaking, it's recommended that the ones lower on the list be used for lowering resolution and those higher on the list are more appropriate for increasing resolution.

Hope those sentences weren't too incoherent for you to understand ;)

Last edited: May 20, 2005
  6. Sobchak

Sobchak Guest

Quite coherent, but you're still speaking in 12th grade English to a guy who hasn't got past Dick and Jane -- with AviSynth, anyway.

You've demonstrated the other problem I've had in researching this issue -- I haven't found a guide for AviSynth that starts from a basic level and builds in logical sequence. There are bits and pieces all around. If I understood more about the subject, I could organize them into a logical sequence, but I'm not there yet. I'm not a video expert and don't want to become one. I'd just like to write a script to do this one conversion.

Your post has gone into my file and I'll try to figure out where it fits later. I did find a complete AviSynth script here http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90816 , but it will require some tweaking to make it work in my situation. I've got a British TV show on DVD in PAL that I want to watch on an NTSC television. My DVD player will not output an NTSC signal from the PAL disk, so I've got to rip the show to my hard disk, do the conversion, and burn a new DVD that outputs an NTSC signal. I can watch the show on my computer right now, but it's not as much fun.

7. Sobchak

Sobchak Guest

I'm adding this message to cross-reference this thread to another one that relates to the PAL/NTSC conversion issue. Here is the thread:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/7/88644

The most recent post in that thread says:

I have downloaded and installed the demo version of SVCD2DVD v2 RC9 on my computer. I am flagging this software for readers of this thread because I would certainly be willing to pay US$20 to convert my PAL DVD and avoid the pain of figuring out AviSynth. I will report back on my experiences with the demo and whether I decided to shell out $20.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2005
  8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello their..Sobchak
    Avi2Dvd.. has the ability to convert PAL to NTSC or vise versa..I used it on a pal movie that would not play on my DVD Player>>it took about 6hrs for a 2 1/2 hr movie (The Aviator)..But it worked fine afterwards..No skipping & good 5.Sur Sound..it has encoders associated with it or u can use outside encoders CCE
    I'm tellin YA it really WORKED & its FREE
    Might take a little time..but we all got that..if your young U gotta go to work..So start it before u go it will be done when u get home
    If your old all u got is time even if the days seem shorter

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2005
  9. Sobchak

Sobchak Guest

yo rick5446 u say it wrks but dont say how same as posts n othr thrds & u use lotz of IM speling whch mks it hrdr to understd wht u talk abt & run-on snetnces 2, mayb s/n mentn othr thred here 2 keep ths therd cleen of unintelligible nonsense.

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Yo Sobchak..if u say so..jst can't splain u meen IM speling whch mks it hrdr to understd
    mi meen are pal to ntsc
    don't use this..therd cleen of unintelligible nonsense..I'm not familiar with this program..plse splain
    use AVI2dvd..don't say how cause it is so simple..just start the fricken program & check dvdmode & follow the instructions load 16.9 add job..step 2..step3..step4..don't forget audio stream
    Just remember I'm only trying to help..I don't have to do this..so if u would kindly tell me what u are trying to get accross with all that garble..maybe just maybe I'll continue

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2005
  11. Sobchak

Sobchak Guest

Oh, I see. Now I understand exactly what you mean. Perfectly sensible.
    You've done more than your share already.

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Sobchak..Well i don't see plees splain

13. Sobchak

Sobchak Guest

Using AVI2DVD is an artifact from the other thread cross-referenced above. If anyone wants to make a run at using AVI2DVD for a PAL to NTSC conversion, there is a guide here

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/showstory.jsp?storyid=66445

that addresses using AVI2DVD to convert, well, AVIs to DVDs. There is a checkbox under the second tab of the main screen for "Pal/Ntsc Convertion [sic]," but I have not found the conversion feature mentioned elsewhere. Unless you are very adept with DVD terminology, the interface is not particularly intuitive. Here is the [bold]entire[/bold] help file:

Usage :
    1) Just load your avi/mkv/ogm (avi mode) or load ifo (dvd mode).
    2) Choose your Audiostream.
    3) Choose your output type (dvd/svcd/vcd).
    4) Pick your favorite encoder (Quenc / FreeEnc / NuEnc / CCE if you own it !!!).
    5) Load your Textual Subtitle.
    6) Press Add Job and then press GO !!!
    7) Burn the generated image.

Tips :
    1) In dvd mode (dvd input) you must rip your dvd with dvddecrypter in IFO MODE (www.dvddecrypter.com) .
    2) In avi mode if you have an avi/mkv/ogm with parts cd1, cd2, cd3... you can load as unique avi renaming the avis like this :
    Matrix CD1.avi
    Matrix CD2.avi
    Matrix CD3.avi
    etc...
    renaming your files like this avi2dvd will join these avis automatically and wil produce an unique film .
    This is valid also for ogm/mkv.
    3) Like the tip 2) if you have an srt/txt with two or more parts and want to join them then just rename them like these :
    Matrix English Cd1.srt
    Matrix English Cd2.srt
    Matrix English Cd3.srt
    etc...
    Avi2dvd will join these srt.

Contact Info :
    Main Site : http://divx.trustfm.com.ru
    Mail : avi2dvd@trustfm.com.ru

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Sobchak..Hello again my friend..Hello..
    Very nice explanation..very intelligible..Why did'nt u just do that in the first place? U seem like a guy whos really a Techno Guru,me I'm just a 3rd Grader..Your my hero !
    did u try it? did it work? was it jerky like vob blanker? which program worked better? was it a true conversion or just a masking? did u have menus? ALL the above was OK for me THANKS A LOT

15. gfofiv

gfofiv Member

Look, all this back and forth crap you 2 are doing is doing nothing for us idiots that need help here. Please stop fugging around, grow up, and continue the adult help you started.

Thanks.

16. gfofiv

gfofiv Member

Oh yeah, I ran the original stated software VOB Blanker, which I believe is the main for this thread.

I have 3 different DVD players and my results are:

1. Samsung DVD-M301 - No dice, does not want to play it. For the most part, this player does not like the majority of my back up DVDs

2. Sony DVP-NS325 - Plays everything, menus, extras, movie, everything, in color, no quality issues except, I have the green glow on top mainly and sometimes on the bottom and intermittent jerkiness.

3. Medion MD 6421 TV/DVD combo - Plays like a charm. No problems at all, nothing. Menus are as if I am playing a regular R1 NTSC disk, or playing the R2 PAL disk on a compatible system.

So what do these results mean? I think the issue everyone has is in their DVD player. My Sony experienced equivalent issues to other peeps here, the green glow. However I had no menu issues, menus were clean, clear, color, and functional. My Samsung just said no. And the last, no name brand POS, played it perfectly. So now I will go buy me a new player. But what I will do is, take a ripped disk and try it out at the stores. If it plays fine, its mine.

Thanks again sadsac

G

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Your right I quit..just havig a little fun..

18. Sobchak

Sobchak Guest

I've been dinking around with SCVD2DVD for about an hour. No luck so far. The PAL movie was ripped to hard disk with DVD Decrypter in File mode and consists of multiple VOB files along with the requisite IFO and BUP files. SCVD2DVD doesn't see the VOB files as "assets," only the IFO files. Those don't seem to give it enough information to perform the conversion.

The sticking point for me with SCVD2DVD, as well as with several other methods I've tried, has to do with converting VOB files to MPEG or AVI files. I think there is a trick there I do not understand. Apparently you have got to have an MPEG or AVI before you can run PAL to NTSC conversion; then you have to get the converted file back to VOB to burn the reconstructed DVD for NTSC. I could be totally wrong here. That is just the current direction of my thinking.

It's getting late and I will try again tomorrow with a clear head. Unless someone has a better suggestion, I plan to use this thread as a running blog on my results. When I find something that works, I'll edit out the messages that followed rabbit trails.

By the way, I tried the so-called "patch" conversion method described here:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221928

earlier this evening. After applying the "patch," DVD Shrink complained that there was an error in the "expected structure" and refused to run. I think I am going to abandon the "patch" technique because I do not believe it will afford any better results than VobBlanker. Thus far, VobBlanker is the only approach that has given me anything I can play on my DVD player (Panasonic F87), albeit a somewhat jerky conversion.

19. SDazed

SDazed Member

After reading through all this, I was still left wondering...

Does SVCD2DVD convert menus as well, or is it just A+V conversion?

20. Sobchak

Sobchak Guest

I haven't figured out how to use it yet, so I can't answer. Personally, I hate menus and prefer to leave them out whenever possible.