Analogue-in camcorders

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by AmiNutall, Jun 28, 2006.

1. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Having to buy a new camera as my Canon MV700 is broke. (after just 2 years eh )

This time I'd like to buy one that accepts analogue in , so I can copy from my VHS video recoder via the camera to my pc. (am I right in thinking I cant use the dv-in port for this ?)

Can anybody kindly recommend any cameras that do this (by that I mean recommend the actual camera as opposed to just saying which ones do this - thanks).

Im tempted to move away from Canon , not just beacause of the heads going after 2 years on my last one , but the quality on indoor filming isnt great.

Thanks in advance for any help

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

In order to find out which camcorders have actually analog input check out CNET: http://reviews.cnet.com/Camcorders/2001-6500_7-0.html
    For each camcorder they list the full set of specification including analog to digital conversion.
    They also have ratings and review for camcorders which can help you to select a model taht is good for you. More elaborate reviews can be found at http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

3. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Thanks TP.

I have took a quick plunge (as going on holiday in a week) and gone against buying one without analogue input , as my mate has one that does, and I guess I dont have that much to copy across.

I have bought a Sony DCRHC35 to replace my Canon MV700, mainly on the recommendation on the CZ lense.
    However, having had a quick play and copied to my pc , the quality is poor when viewed on my 17" monitor. I have used Windows Movie Maker to get it form the camera , via a USB supplied cable.

Is that likely to be just a setting on the camera (ie default is low resolution ?) . It looks okay as far as you can tell on the small screen on the camera.

I hope it is better than my Canon as dont want to have to try and swap it at the shop.
    Im not at home now so cant try anything yet.

Thoughts / comments please ...

I

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I don't know how many times I have stated this on this forum, but it is many times: don't use USB for video transfer from a miniDV camcorder, use Firewire.