Annoying Messenger Pop Ups

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by bluenose, Jan 12, 2004.

1. bluenose

bluenose Guest

After re-installing my Operating System (xp) again I`m getting annoying messenger pops ups of peoples msn address. I do not have msn messenger installed on my computer and I`m relly getting fed up with these messages poppin up. Anyone know how I can get rid of them? Its appears in a grey box and the message usually says something like "Hi my name is....."

2. account

account Guest

i hate those damn things pm me and give me your e-mail i give you the solution

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2004
  3. bluenose

bluenose Guest

You trying to send me a virus or something account? My Hotmail account has permanently blocked that "program" you sent me to get rid of the messenger ads. You sent me a e-mail with the "program" as an attachment and the words "just open the program not sure how it works but it does"

4. Xian

Xian Regular member

Are you sure that it isn't the Windows Messenger service and not MSN Messenger? There has been a lot of spam popups using the Windows Messenger service lately. You really don't need the service running, its mostly used for admins on a network to send users messages like "The server is going down for a reboot, save your work" or similar.

In XP, go to Control Panel then Administrative Tools. Select Services. Find the Messenger service and double click on it. Select Stop and also change the Startup Type to manual or disabled so it won't start again at the next boot. You need to be logged in with an account with Admin rights to make those changes.

5. account

account Guest

it's not a virus i put the directoins on how to use wich is just open the program and click block or allow it's that simple and it's not a virus like you thought you can download it yourself i got mine off kazaa a while ago the exact name is "message substract"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2004
  6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

No it wont. Watch yourself. Cuz I will be.

For instructions on how to deal with Messenger based popups, visit http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/55290
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.addictz.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2004
  7. bluenose

bluenose Guest

Thanks for your help guys, I have managed to stop the pop ups now. :)

8. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya bluenose,

so you don't have a firewall on your system!!!

It might be prudent if you did (any half-decent firewall would block those and many other exploits).

Security, the net is a dangerous place!!

Have Fun...

9. bluenose

bluenose Guest

Thanks for informing me drChips. I`m going to get Norton Personal Firewall. I knew I was going to need to buy some security software as my exchange is broadband enabled tomorrow and my PC will be left on much longer as I will be downloading files. I currently have norton anti virus running on my pc just now and was wondering if there is any other software I will need to purchase to keep my system secure?

10. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya bluenose,

Security IS A MUST!!

Have you got a spare PC lying around?
    An old P2-450 would do.

Turn it into a security device (firewall, router, nat, port mapper etc. etc)

You can do it with Windows (NT4 OR Win2k plus some other stuff you can get for free)
    OR you could use Linux (Smoothwall - free and can use less powerful hardware).

Both options are easy to do.

Doing it that way, a fair bit of the security processing is moved onto another box, leaving resources free for your ripping/games whatever.

If you don't have a spare pc, then I suggest the following:

Firewall: I use Kerio Personal Firewall, but there are lots of good ones out there.

Antivirus: I use Norton 2004, once again, lots of good ones out there.

Cookie Control: Real-Time Cookie Cleaner (ACE PROGGY)

Spyware Control: Adaware/Adwatch AND Spycop

Hijacking and Trojan Control: HiJackThis

Popup Control: AdsGone

Lots more you could use.

My systems are as secure as I can make them AND still have access to the outside world.

Have Fun...