AntiVirus Recommendations.

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by gwendolin, Oct 19, 2006.

1. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I currently have McAfee antivirus on my comp and as it's due for renewal I would like some comments please on the [bold]BEST[/bold] antivirus on the market..... or should I just renew my McAfee???

2. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

well AVG is a good one so is Pc cillen and also panda anti-virus...Norton isnt all that good it slow down the computer two much

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum. i use avg 7 free edition which i also put on most of my customers' computers. been use ver 7 since jan 05 & ver 6 before that for at least 3 years.

4. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

yea i use it to..like ddp says great for computers

5. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I'd stick with Mcafee, it's one of the top notch *paid* anti virus programs there is.

6. Niobis

Niobis Active member

This may help you in making that decision to renew McAfee. It didn't score that well.

7. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

wow..it didn't score well at all i have AVG it works pefectly for me

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

That's funny, i've seen Rav009 link to a similar recent test that scored mcafee @ #4 out 0f 30 products.
    Also, look at percentages here. 93% is pretty decent, especially considering these tests where done with free demo versions of all software *something that's mentioned right on top of the virus.gr page*

Not to mention the tests at Virus.gr are hazy at best, as they use an SP1 XP test machine setup. *NOT a good idea, as it can influence test results*
    I could go on, but i'd rather not, so i'll just say this : if it has worked for you in the past, and it is comfortable for you to work with, then it's good.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2006
  9. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Well I am a fine example...posting this in the incorrect forum..thanks ddp for the "move'

I recently ran the PC Security Test and my a/v failed to pick anything up so I thought about changing....dont stop now ..keep the comments coming!!

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try the free online scans to see if McAfee missed anything than decide whether to keep or toss it. no problem

11. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

The free one I did try was PC Security Test 2005...yep it failed!!

12. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I've tested a lot of the free and major AVs in the past and McAfee is okay, but Sophos, NOD32, AVG, Kaspersky's, Avast! and Avira all are much better and may be free. I use Avira on most of my machines, along with AVG, but the others are good too. The only one of "the good ones" I'm not wild about is Kaspersky, as it has a VERY slow scan engine.

Norton's at the bottom of my list, in more than just AV. I'm not crazy about F-Prot either even though they've been in the AV business since the stone age. McAfee seems to give lots of false-positives.

13. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

This may be a dumb question, can the 2 a/v progs, Mcafee and AVG7 co exist on the same comp...are there any conflicts.

14. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Running two at once is not a good idea even if there aren't any conflicts. They may compete with each other and produce alot of false postitives.

Edit: you can have both installed, but turn off the real-time protection of one.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  15. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I am having a dispute with Mcafee at the moment...I called their "call centre" and spoke with some "Indian" guy who gave me instructions on how to fix something to do with Mcafee....to cut a long story short I had to put my comp in to have a registery restore..due to his "stuff up" they refuse to pay for repairs or accept responsibilities...it was their fault, so I told them what I thought.

Many of my friends now have a free copy of their 2006 i/net security suite...I dont know HOW they got it!!

16. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Lol, sounds like they got it via the good 'ole internet.
    Torrent downloads, anyone ? :)

17. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

No not really, just happened to have the original disc I purchased , handy!!!
    I really dont know how they got their hands on it though.

18. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I meant your friends, Gwendolin :)
    And also, let's not kid each other here, a mcafee disc can be used as often as one likes.
    No confirmation codes or keys asked, just stick the disc in, install, sign up, and presto, you're done.

19. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Yep....easy as

20. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

gwendolini really like "Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007" so thats an option . also you can try there free online scanner "Housecalls" and see what you come up with
    , heres the link

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/