any suggestions to speed up a slow computer

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by duffyr83, Nov 28, 2003.

1. duffyr83

duffyr83 Guest

i have a slow running computer and i just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on how to speed it up

Computer specs
    Compaq Presario 5010us
    Intel Pentium III 866MHz w/256kb integrated
    Windows ME OS
    128mb RAM
    40gb hard drive

i recently added 256mb RAM, giving me a total of 384mb RAM, it still runs slow though. any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance for your replies

2. Matador

Matador Regular member

Try updateding to win2000 or Xp.

3. duffyr83

duffyr83 Guest

Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Ive got a P3-800/512MB running WXP Pro-'adjusted' and it runs breezingly fast :) Take some time and go through your computer's services and tweak it up... there is enough junk running around in the raw installation.

5. duffyr83

duffyr83 Guest

thanks for the advice

6. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

first get rid of ME OS, it's a crock (my opinion)
    then ensure at least 1 Gb free on drive for swap file etc...
    Export explorer to different folder than windows, as pc keeps looking at windows folder in all windows OS and the larger this win folder is the slower the pc.

my old 550MHz system was upgraded with a powerleap (do search if you want), a processor hybrid that brought it up to celeron 1.4GHz

Do a scan disk and defrag regularly, this will help file access times.

If the PC is not cleaned out (wiped and OS reloaded) over time it gets clogged with all-sorts of stuff, most pc users will reload each 6 months

HD speed should be 7200rpm not 5400rpm

etc...

7. duffyr83

duffyr83 Guest

thanks again for the suggestions i really appreaciate everyone's help

8. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

I'd say with those specs go for 2k, do a complete install, formating the hdd with ntfs, when done you can look up the reg tweaks to get it to work better, i would suggest setting windows to not page the nt kernel, disabling 8.3 file names, and last access time, then you can go and disable the unnecesary services like messenger and smartcard(unless you actively use windows messenger and have a smartcard) then don't install too many apps, only what you find necesary, either use the system defrag often or get a program like diskeeper(excelent app) and set a schedule for system defrags, get a good virus scanner(I recomend Symantec AV Corp) and schedule it to scan your comp every day, but don't do much else than that, goto http://www.winguides.com for more windows tweaks, maybe some good me tweaks if you don't upgrade

9. duffyr83

duffyr83 Guest

thanks i really appreciate, its given me lots of ways to improve my pc, i'll start trying yall's suggestions this weekend

thanks again

10. magnetic

magnetic Regular member

it should be noted that the bench marking programs if you are using them , take into account all the components of the PC.
    When I orininally upgraded my 550MHz system to 1.4GHz the Benchmark (3dmark or some other one) only changed by a small amount, after some investigation I changed to a better graphics card (to a gforce2) and the benchmark really improved, the old graphics card was a bottleneck in the system....