Anyone??

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DNELL, Apr 5, 2004.

1. DNELL

DNELL Member

I'm having a problem with my computer's internet explorer. When I open internet explorer it goes to yahoo.com but when i'm at another page and I click the "home" button, it goes to this page

http://homepage.com@www.e-finder.cc/hp/

and says Invalid Syntax Error. It does that no matter what I set the home page to. and when I go to internet options, it has that address in the address bar. so I set it back to yahoo.com or msn.com, go to a site and click the home button, it does it again, and again, and again... anyone know how to get rid of this??

2. bird1234

bird1234 Member

Sounds like someone has that wonderful fun and loving adware/spyware crap that graciously infects Internet Explorer. IF you can manage to surf around the web, look for any sort of adware/spyware remover software to try and clean up your system. I haven't had to use any of that for a while since i haven't used IE in over a year. What i did use was from http://www.bulletproofsoft.com/spy-download.html.

You can download a free trial from them. Hopefully that'll clean up your system. As far as what browser I'm using, you can get it here: http://texturizer.net/firefox/

Good luck with your problem

3. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Firefox is bar none the best web browser available (or whatever they're calling it this week, lol.) But if you can't be convinced to make a switch away from internet explorer to a mozilla or opera, etc., at least do yourself a favor by using IE2. IE2 uses the internet explorer platform but has a lot of features and customizations that will protect you and be very convenient for you: i.e. popup blocking and tabbed browsing. Even if you do make the switch to Firefox, I still recommend installing IE2 as there are many things that will require ActiveX controls (Micro-Trend's House Call free online virus scan, for instance.)

IE2: http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm

I also realize that advice is treating the symptom, not the problem! As bird1234 said, you'll need any ole' spyware removal program (Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D.) Your internet explorer can be locked to prevent a web page from changing it. What this particular spyware seems to have done is locked your home page to this nonsensical url, using the home page protection feature against you! I suggest you also use one of the tools to lock it to a page of your choice. IE2 has a "lock home page" checkbox directly in the options so it is unlikely you would have to worry about it any longer if you heeded my advice on that front. ;) But make no mistake, Firefox is the best imho.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I absolutely agree with everything Mattrage said. Firefox is everything a browser should be and more. The only minor annoyance with it is the occasional page that won't render properly but there is a slick extension for it that allows you to right click the page and open it in IE - quick and easy!

And yes, SpyBot and/or AdAware is in order here :)

5. forkman

forkman Member

Love the Gif Nephilim, Wallace and Gromit are my all time favorite animations.

6. Nephilim

They're a real treat aren't they? Just ordered the set with Robbie the Reindeer incl. :)

7. crono375

crono375 Member

i have the same problem, and i ran SPy bot S&D, fixed all the problems that came up, and this problem still persists. anything else you guys think i can try?

8. Nephilim

Ditch IE and live a happier life.

Did you run AdAware as well? It usually catches a few that SpyBot misses. You might try running a trojan scanner just for good measure.