Archiving miniDVD using simple copy,paste to dvd-5?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by albertd25, Jun 27, 2005.

1. albertd25

albertd25 Member

I have 6 miniDVDs for egsample and just want to transfer into normal DVD-R as they are for archiving them and reuse of my RW minidvd discs.Can it be done with only copying the minies into hard drive and then adding them into a normal DVD like any data file or not.I had also ttied using Nerovision3 with import disc option but after tried two times my PC crashes and auto reboots ?!!!

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Yes you can. Just transfer the contenst of the disks to your hard drive and use Nero in data-DVD mode to burn DVD-data.
    However, you will not be able to play them on a DVD player so the question remains what do you want to do afterwards with them.

3. albertd25

albertd25 Member

Yes the purpose is for playing them in a set top dvd player

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

If you want to combine more than one originals on one DVD, you will have to re-author it. There are basically two options:
    1. Use an authoring program that can read VOBs (for example TMPGEnc DVD author or DVDlab).
    2. Extract the MPEG's from the VOB's (for example Ulead DVD MovieFactory can do that) and build a new DVD with these MPEG's

If you want to do some editing before putting your stuff on a new DVD, you may want to have a look at this tutorial:
    http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/tutorials/dvdedit.php

5. albertd25

albertd25 Member

Yes thank you I will try them.Already tried Ulead Movie Factory and it worked but the software comes up with a warning about something like "unsuported digital audio format" and the result was an playable DVD with no sound!!!

6. engtilidi

engtilidi Member

I am having exactly the same problem burning my minidvds onto a larger 4.7gb disc. When my camcorder creates the the files it stores they are created as dvd file ie a video ts folder containg video ts,bup and vts files. The problems start when you try to burn them. When you insert a new mini dvd into the camcorder to record it creates files of the same name every single time. ie video_ts, vts_01_1,vts_01_0.bup then insert another mini dvd and the same file names are created again according to how many chapters there are within the compilation. So im left with many mini dvds all containing the same damn file names is there a way to author these dvds for burning or do i have to enter the folder and rename all these files so that the chapters run off one another ie change vts_01 to the number after the last chapter on my previous mini dvd. Please help me on this one because im sure many others will encounter this same problem after having purchased a dvd recorder. Also there in lies the problem of having to change the name of the video_ts file in order to incorporate that into the start menu on the final dvd compilation. Hope someone on here can get their head around that because it even confused me writing it .
    thanks in advance english

7. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

This question has actually been asked and answered many times. The methods are simple, and there's no need to change anything. Here's how to do it with Nero:

First, copy all the Video_TS folders of each mini DVD onto the Harddisk under different folders (e.g. movie1, movie2 etc.). Next run Nero Recode, click 'remake a dvd', and 'import titles'. Then use 'browse' to go to each Video_TS folder, and 'add' the respective titles to the compilation window. Click 'finish' when you're done, and follow the lead from there.

Alternatively, you can use the 'reauthor' function of Shrink to do the same, then burn with Nero.

Happy mini DVD compiling!

8. one028

one028 Member

i have a sony dvd403 mini dvd camcorder. i can transfer the mpgs as mpgs using the usb cable. is there a way i can combine all the mpg's to make on large dvd. the sony i have records in widesceen 5.1 surround sound. is there a program that can to this and keep the widescreen and 5.1 sound?

9. scatar

scatar Member

I have a 403 Sony DVD camcorder.
    I tried several possibilities to combine mini DVDs into a regular sized DVD. If I use DVD-RW in VR MODE, I cannot combine 2-3 miniDVDs without losing the 16:9 aspect ratio (I tried with Nero and with Power Producer). I believe that the ratio information is inside the .ifo file associated with the VRO file.
    In my opinion, the best way is to use DVD-RW in Video MODE and NOT in VR MODE and then use Nero to combine the miniDVDs as described here in the forum. The bad side is that in Video MODE editing is not possible inside the camcorder.
    Was anyone able to combine VR discs into a large one without losing the 16:9 ratio or 5.1 sound?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  10. ekarahan

ekarahan Member

Hi everybody, sorry about this but I am totally newbie with digital cameras. I just bought a Sony DVD203, and after completing the first DVD-RW minidisc I transfer it to my PC and realized that each single shot is recorded as a mpg file!!! I thought that this was because I didnt finalized the disc before transfering, but this was noy the case because after finalizing and transfering it the same thing happened with the mpgs. My question is: if I record all these mpgs into a DVD-R, can I see the movies directly in a standard DVD player?
    If don't, what can I do? In few words please.
    Best regards.

11. ekarahan

ekarahan Member

When I said "if I record all these mpgs into a DVD-R" I ment to burn all that files in a standard DVD-R.
    Thanks guys.

12. scatar

scatar Member

I finally manage to combine 4 miniDVDs, some of them formatted as DVD-RW Video mode and others as DVD-RW VR mode with no loss of 16:9 ratio or 5.1 sound.
    I used TMPGEnc DVD author 1.6.

13. albertd25

albertd25 Member

Does it includes long periods of transcodings?I don't understand if for egsample the same mpeg file with PAL 720/576 or NTSC 720/480 and bitrate from 4 to 8mbs worked trough Nero or Roxio,Ulead movie factory etc will be transcoded at every occasion eating precious time and Adobe Encore DVD will not transcode it at all leaing as it is and burning the DVD without the minimun quality loss.

14. cpsim

cpsim Member

Just got a Sony DVD604E. Need help here.
    I can't edit my movie taken (in both VR or video mode) using Roxio video editing software. Should I convert it into other format first & how to do that (what software to use). Thx