are samsung dvd drives the best dvd drive

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by anand91, Jan 10, 2006.

1. anand91

anand91 Guest

are samsung dvd drives the best dvd drive? i have an xbox that has a thompson dvd drive and it is said to be the worst one because it does not play a lot of formats.i want to purchace a new hard drive. so i wanted to know if samsung is the best dvd drive,better than the hatachi dvd drives for the xbox.
    if any can help me out:

let me know how good the samsung dvd drive is and tell me the cheapest price i can purchase for.
    one other question;what are the formats that samsung dvd drives play?

2. zaiah

zaiah Regular member

See thats not true. It generalized that thompson drives suck. I have a thompson drive and I is the best drive ever. It has played every game I have tried. It also has a lot to do with the dvds you use.
    I use phillips and memorex. Good luck.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

you say you are buying a new hard drive, but you want to know about the best DVD drive? Confused, may have just been a typo.
    but anyway, hope this helps
    How the different brands of Xbox DVD drives compare
    Thomson

When the Xbox first became available it came with a Thomson DVD drive. Unfortunately, these drives are notorious for being unable to read most CDR media, and are generally regarded as the worst drives in terms of the variety of media that they can read.

Philips

Philips DVD drives started appearing in Xboxs in mid 2002. The consensus seems to be that these drives can read more disc formats than the Thomson drives but not as many as the Samsung.

Samsung

This drive is widely regarded as being the drive that reads the greatest variety of media. It can be identified by two circular wholes in the DVD tray. Used in Xbox consoles manufactured since September 2002.

and here is more info
    http://www.xbreporter.com/xboxdvddrivecomparison.php

4. anand91

anand91 Guest

"HARD DRIVE" WAS A TYPO....SORRY

5. punqewe

punqewe Active member

I would rate the drives

1-samsung

2-philips (because I have come across a few that read cd-r)

3-LG

4-thompson

6. truballa8

truballa8 Member

i just called freaking microsoft to ask what drive they have in their xbox's now a days and they told me they are not allowed to tell me,what kinda bs is that,im buying ur product i should know whats in it, can anyone be nice enough of telling me,what drive an xbox comes with now a days,im thinkin about getting one this weekend,can someone please tell me what drive they come with now a days

7. steimy

steimy Active member

well according to what i just posted above
    Samsung.

8. anand91

anand91 Guest

now days xbox do not come out with samsung dvd drives ,they come out with the new hatichi drives. rumor has it that they removed the samsung drive because it can read a little too many formats.
    the new hatichi drive are not as good as samsung because hatichi drives do not read certain brand of discs.

9. truballa8

truballa8 Member

i just called 2 ebgames stores and the employee's told me xbox's now a days come with samsung,they even told me they had own an thomspon drive but they exchange it for a samsung.

10. stevepre1

stevepre1 Member

can anyone tell me where I could pic up one of these samsung drives? I would like to replace my current drive with a samsung. What is the full name of this drive? Could I go to my local computer store to pic this up or is this something I would have to research on the net? Is this samsung drive a Dual layer drive, or are any of the drives stated DL? Also I didn't see anything about price. Does anyone know anything about that?

11. ascarta

ascarta Member

try ebay, just do a serch for xbox samsung you should find what your looking for.