asus eee pc

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by micks, Nov 22, 2008.

1. micks

micks Guest

going to be buying a asus eee pc for my kid, unsure what one to get,its for the internet and to watch movies, any help will be greatful thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

which 1 as some if not all do not have rom drives?

3. micks

micks Guest

been on net looking,see they are quite alot of netbooks, thought iwould put films straight on to the hard drive, would you recommend any and why,thanks

4. ddp

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Indeed. I bought an Acer Aspire One. The SSD sounded appealing, the idea of a machine that you could move about without worryingthe hard drive would get knocked. However all the reviews i read (apart from the ones by diehard SSD pushers) said that the only way to get almost decent XP performance was to install 'lite' versions of XP. I bought the 120GB hard drive version with Linux, with the intention of wiping it and putting XP on (full version), with a version (undecided as to which one) of Linux on later as a dual boot.

I did all this weeks ago and the machine is literally left on for days at a time, it's very quick indeed.
    The only thing it lacks is an optical drive, but whenever i need to use one i just attach one of my USB2.0 enclosures for whatever task is needed, then remove it. Other than that the only thing i attach is a USB optical mouse as the inbuilt mousepad is a bit awkward to use for long periods. It's pretty good but you can't beat using a normal mouse.
    It's nice having 3 USB2.0 ports, ethernet, a VGA connection for output to a large screen, 2 audio jacks and best of all it has 2 inbuilt card readers - i have a 4GB SD card which works great and it'd be nice to buy a 16GB SD card sometime.

6. micks

micks Guest

this pc is for a six year old ,so do you still think it is not worth bothering with ssd drive

7. creaky

SSD should be fine for a 6year old, my two kids love using the Acer.

edit- however i probably wouldn't buy an SSD version for my own kids as they've been using computers since a very young age and would no doubt find SSD-related delays annoying..

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  8. micks

micks Guest

what ive read if the netbook has an ssd drive it makes it shock proof,is this true or is it just a selling point

9. creaky

They are indeed supposed to be shock proof, it's just like ipod's etc

10. varnull

varnull Guest

Drop an ipod... dead.. not shockproof at all.

11. creaky

Oh right, cheers, I was guessing, i can't stand ipods myself, bloody iTunes (my mp3 player is a Creative with a standard hard drive, hard drives are good enough for me, i make sure to never mistreat them).
    I thought SSD's were hyped up so much because they were supposed to be shock proof, i guess they are but only to a certain point.

12. ddp

depends on the ipod as some have ssd's & others have 1.5" or 1.8" hard drives.

13. micks

micks Guest

thanks a lot think ill go for the the bigger drive and take the chance,long as he keeps it away from his little sister it should be ok lol

14. creaky

15. micks

micks Guest

hi back again, looking at the msi wind u120 and the asus Eee pc 1000 has anybody have any thoughts on these two,or have any recommendations on any other netbooks.thanks again