1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attn: Newbies... this is why you should NOT buy CMC MAG or any other unknown media...

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by alkohol, Nov 26, 2005.

1. forkndave

forkndave Member

It's a genuine TYG02. It's only bad where the disc is marred. This happens with all discs ocaissionally. It's just the first TY I've seen this way. Usually I only see this sort of thing near the bottom of the stack. I suppose I could have done this myself when I loaded them onto the spindle. Some brands I will always look at the bottom before burning, but not usually the good ones.

Dave

2. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i can def. attest to that, had a few bad Taiyo Yudens lately myself, the dye was pretty messed up on the bottom, these were actually near the TOP of the 100 pack spindle, about 25-30 down or so...tossing out a few TYs is fairly common when you deal with massive quantities per month, even the BEST manufacturers got some "bad apples" in the barrel~ :)

docTY~

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yes remember mine kivory awhile back that i posted lol

4. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

LOL aabbccdd, yea, i remember those pics you had up...we ALL run into a few "bad apples" here and there, even with Taiyo Yudens :) hey, at least we all use GOOD QUALITY media, it's not like we need to trash the EnTIRE spindle pre-burning them~ hehe

docTY~

5. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Hmmm... I guess I'm pretty lucky with them 8X DVD+R YUDEN000T02 afterall. I've never encountered any bad/defected disc before. Knock on wood, LOL.

6. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@alkohol

my defective discs were in the dvd-r format, TYG02/TYG03 to be more precise, i've never had a "bad apple" with the dvd+r format Taiyo Yuden...*knock on wood too* weird...perhaps THAT is partially the reason why the dvd+r format is more expensive online? who knows? j/k lol

docTY~

7. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@Doc

I guess that must be the reason why the DVD+R are a little more expensive. I think I read it somewhere that the DVD+R is more advanced and or superior, but I can't recall where I last seen the article. And yes, I've noticed that Mr. forkndave is using them TYG02 (DVD-R), so it must be something (a rare case) with -Rs only.

Yeah, knock on wood for us. I'm running low on these authentic YUDEN000T02, so I might need to put on another order soon. I've checked on "supermediastore.com" and I've noticed that they've got the new 16X DVD-R already, but I didn't see the 16X DVD+R? I just want to test them out and see how's the results turns out. Afterall, I have my faith in Yuden Co. Ltd. that their 16X DVD+R are going to be as flawless as their 8X DVD+R like always.

Doc. have you tried to burn any of the new 16X DVD+R yet?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  8. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@alkohol

actually, i have not~ :) i am waiting for my new Benq dw-1650 drive before i test this limited batch i have of them (only 10 discs)...they are very precious to me as they are not available here in the U.S. yet for me to buy more :) LOL stingy with my "rare" TYs so it seems~ :p

i don't know what my problem is, i guess if i KNOWINGLY perceive a situation where i am LIMITED as to the quantity of what i can ACTUALLY purchase, i cherish them as if they were made from gold~! LOL

i guess before i start 'burning away' like i do with all my OTHER Taiyo Yuden discs, i have to be content KNOWING that i can easily attain MORE of the 16x dvd+r YUDEN000T03s before i "test" them all up and have nothing to show for it~ hahaha

psycho huh? lol i'm going to wait until i get my new Benq before i test these YUDEN000T03s out, sorry to make ya guys wait, but, it's a personal issue i'm dealing with at this time...if i can't readily get more at a moment's notice, then i feel it's not worthwhile to use up my limited stock for "tests"...im weird like that in my reasoning...

docTY~

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

or test them on that new Plextor drive, 18x thats coming out Doc.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2006
  10. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

yes aabbccdd, i'm gonna get both of them, the newest benq and the newest 18x plextor, i have a feeling the benq will be released EARLIER than the plextor however, the benq should have been out already from the reports i have read, hopefully by the end of the month before i do my taxes i should have it...the plextor is going to be available in april 2006, so, if things go my way, i'll have that Benq dw-1650 this month (March) and next month, the Plextor PX-760A~ :)

i'll be a happy camper if this works out accordingly...

docTY~

11. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

There is a slight cost difference in manufacturing between DVD-R and DVD+R. The -R requires two laser beams to burn the glass master for the stamper because of the land pre-pit address structure DVD-R uses, and each disc has to be pre-written in a DVD recorder to have its ID code written in the control data zone to prevent copying CSS-protected DVDs. DVD+R uses a high frequency wobbled groove for the address system, and this is simpler to mold than land pre-pits.

Many recorders and players, Panasonic in particular, would refuse to read recorded DVD+R discs if they recognized the bit setting as a + recorded disc. Changing the bit setting to identify the disc as a "DVD-ROM" gets around these restrictions. Newer models of Panasonic recorders no longer have this problem, but changing the bit setting still helps improve compatibility.

12. forkndave

forkndave Member

It sounds like the -R are harder to make. I wonder why the +R costs more? At least TY does. Verbatims I've bought were the same price for -R and +R. I'd like to try some TY +R, but the price scares me
    off. I only buy printables and the +R is $59.99 for 100 from Supermediastore.com plus shipping. The last -R I got was $42.99 with free shipping. Unless the price drops drastically, I'll probably keep on using -R.

Dave

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah thats why i use the dash TYGO2s format also ,because of the price difference and they seem to work fine anyway at pretty much ever dvd standalone player i throw them at

14. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Yeah I just wanted to try the DVD+R's booktyped to DVD-ROM for variety. They cost about the same, I paid an arm and a leg for my TY DVD+R's, about $60 for the 100, though I guess that's about the same as sms.com. Plus I like getting them locally instead of waiting on shipping. The non printable's aren't much better. $39.99 for the 100 of Yuden000 DVD+R's from sms.com.

http://supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-plus-r-media.html

After shipping that's probably $48. Still better than what I paid, but not a remarkable difference. Plus the Sony Branded MIJ TY DVD+R's have the white writing-friendly surface. Cheers!

15. markander

markander Member

What reasons would cause my nero scan tool not to work.
    message says, drive does not support this function.
    I have updated firmware on a 6 month old dl tsst samsung via hp.

THX

Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  16. 9mmruger1

9mmruger1 Regular member

@markander

It might be the drive itself. My LG 4163 does not support scanning, while my NEC 3550A does.

Cheers.

17. beltline

beltline Regular member

9mmruger1 is right. I don't recall ever reading that your Samsung supports this feature. Not all drives support the Nero CD/DVD test (actually very few do). Some drives have their own like Lite on's and Plextor I believe. You can try dvdinfopro.

18. markander

markander Member

19. ireland

ireland Active member

JUST INFO

TDK exits manufacturing of CD and DVD media

Posted by Quakester2000 on 10 March 2006 - 16:18 - Source: TDK

D4rk0n3 used our news submit to tell us that TDK has decided to exit the manufacturing of both CD and DVD media products as part of its on going restructuring process. A board meeting was held on March 8th to find ways restructuring its recording media business and the board concluded that exiting the market was the best option. TDK have also announced the shut down of its European media manufacturing plant in Luxemburg which will come to a halt at the end of May 2006. This will mean a total exit from the manufacturing of CD & DVD recording media market for TDK.

TDK had been looking at various ways of restructuring its problem hit media business but with a sharp drop in prices coupled with high costs of materials it wasn't viable anymore. The TDK board has decided to look at other business models for its recording business. TDK will accelerate its ODM business model or look to a third party supply.

TDK TDK Corporation announced today that the board of directors decided at the board meeting held on March 8, 2006, to further accelerate the restructuring of recording media business, to withdraw from the manufacturing of recordable CD&DVD products in TDK group. Consequently, TDK decided to shut down the production facilities at its European subsidiary, TDK Recording Media Europe in Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. The shut down is planned to take place at the end of May 2006. This decision completes TDK"s withdrawal from the manufacturing of recordable CD & DVD products, coupled with the reorganization of plants in Chikumagawa area (Nagano, Japan) implemented at the end of last year. TDK Corporation and its group companies (hereinafter called "TDK") have been fundamentally restructuring the recording media business during this fiscal year.

While reviewing the progress of the restructuring and future strategies of the recording media business, TDK has looked for ways to re-strengthen the manufacturing of recordable CD&DVD foundations from various perspectives. However, a sharp drop in market prices of recordable CD&DVDs as well as the increased cost of natural resources has led the recording media business in TDK to serious problems. After studies of measure for re-strengthening manufacturing, the decision of withdrawal from the manufacturing of recordable CD & DVDs that TDK management has made should lead to an improvement and reform of recording media business to change fundamentally the business model. With this decision, TDK will accelerate ODM business model for the current generation of recordable CD&DVD products, or the third party supply. In the domain of blue laser disc, a product much expected to grow in the near future,

A sad day indeed, their own media was usually quite good.
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13173

20. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

good info ireland,
    about time~! lol

as to the closing statement of the article submitter, i got my OWN closing statement to counter his,
    docTY : A SPLENDID day indeed, their own media was quite crappy, not CMC MAG crappy in general, but nevertheless, crappy enough to leave a bad taste in your mouth~ :) hmmm...and what is that taste you may ask, i think it's crap~