1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attn: Newbies... this is why you should NOT buy CMC MAG or any other unknown media...

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by alkohol, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Geroid04

Geroid04 Member

this is what i got after scanning a new burn without any other applications running.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Hmm the average PIE's are still too high. They're better. I'd say make sure your burner is in DMA mode. Anyway, CD/DVD Speed scans are just a barometer, not absolute. How do your backups play?

3. Geroid04

Geroid04 Member

i have no problems with my backups at all which is why im curious about my scans if i do have glitches its because i backed up from one of my older originals that might have a few scratches on. my drives are both in dma mode. here is a scan i made from a burn with my LG (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B DL12) drive. (for some reason it wont let me start the disc quality scan with this drive so i had to scan it using my nec drive .(this was also backed up from a older original disc)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Yeah I don't think CD/DVD Speed supports LG drives. If your backups play fine, then don't worry. My standards are a little higher than that of the average person. A quality score of 90 is considered excellent. If you don't have any playback issues, then you don't have anything to worry about.

5. cynn

cynn Regular member

I am very new to this, pls be patient. My country does not sell TY. The verbatim I try sometimes cant plsy on verious player (Taiwan), I have used Imation (Taiwan)n so far no trouble but I am very troubled by this CMC Mag that I read in your forum. Does that mean my disk won't last? I use sonic (Nero) so I can't do a scan but DVD identifer (I just learnt today from your forum to dl free)the dik i use is :Imation DVD+R CMC Mag AEI
    Imation DVD+R Moses Baer R04/001
    Maxell DVD+R Ritek R03/002
    Emtec DVD+R Interaxia AG 001/001
    But becos pic quality is important to me, I find Imation is sharper than Maxell and sound is sharper too
    I don't use Sony becos pic quality not like the above, only colour nice.
    Pls advice Thks

6. Geroid04

Geroid04 Member

scan of a cmc mag after six months

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Try scanning it in six more months.

8. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Try scanning it in six more months.

9. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

I repeat: a bad disc has no effect on a laser diode. It does not strain--it has a fixed output. It may stay on a bit longer as a drive tries to read a sector more than once, but dye quality has no effect on the aging of a laser.

10. Tokijin

Tokijin Active member

Bad Media will speed up the demise of the PS2 laser. In general, I agree with you, just not in the case of the PS2.

11. camellote

camellote Guest

@Geroid
    Are you burning the TYG03 at X16 or X12?
    Total PIF and PIE seems kinda high

12. teach

teach Member

Hi everyone...couple of questions...

I am wondering at what speed I should set my nero cd-dvd quality speed tester. For example, if I burn a dvd at 6x, should I put the nero cd-dvd quality tester at 6x too or what? What if I set it to 8x, would that give me more errors.

Also, if you get low quality rating, does that mean your disc will skip, data within it will dissapear after a short period of time, or what?

Recently I bought me a Verbatim, which has the MCC004 Media, which is suppose to be top quality, but when I burn at past 6x i get a quality rating of 0-30. Please help.

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

14. ActNUp

ActNUp Member

Same disc, same computer, 2 different drives. What does this mean?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Fiji5555

Fiji5555 Member

It means both drives read the same disc differently....as to which one is more accurate is anybody's guess. That's why I gave up trying to figure out scanning quality scores and just use good media and 4X to 6X burning speeds and if they play fine then that's great. You can run yourself crazy trying to figure out quality scores like this.

16. ActNUp

ActNUp Member

Thanx alot for the reply. I was goin' kinda crazy. Makes me feel loads better. Thanx again...

17. gorozco

gorozco Member

I have a odd situation about a Memorex DVD-R on the spindle was showing a warning about to update the firmware on the dvd burner if was below a 16x writing speed in order not to damage the burner, since my burner was a 16x i did not put much attention and tried to burn a few video files always getting a burn error mostly saying was a bad media.
    Then I just try to use another brand and the same error over and over, tired just get the video files to another computer and used again teh memorex 16x media same issue there, tried another brand and still so I was thinking maybe is the file, I tried to make a backup and then copy a movie and always was teh erro about bad media, 1 burner still able to burn cdr discs the other I tried to update the firmaware but is gonme so what is the media doing to the burner how this can be done using a disc?

18. ColdFyre

ColdFyre Member

just curious as to what I may be doing wrong here...

I bought a pack of Taiyo Yuden 4x from Meritline and burned w/standard settings in dvdShrink on my Emprex 8x burner.

Here's the nice lil screenshot of the result.

[​IMG]

I've not been able to play any backed-up dvd's without hiccups or complete failures at all.

Do I need a differnt burner? A different player?? Suggestions for either?

I've gone through a lot of the guides and I'm still kinda stumped.Thanks a lot for pointing a noob in the right direction.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  19. Joshewah

Joshewah Regular member

I'd say new burner. It looks like you are using the stock burner that came with your computer.

20. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Have you tried looking for a firmware update? Also those disks are TYG03, which are 16x DVD-r disks, by Taiyo Yuden. Not 4x like you stated.