Australia to implement Great Firewall similar to china

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by AuWolf, Oct 22, 2008.

1. AuWolf

AuWolf Member

Apologies if there has been any other similar topics and if this was meant to go into the news section I'm sorry but anyway in Australia they are planning to create an Internet blacklist determining what is illegal for you to view on the web.

View the story here

So what is your opinion on this? do you think it should happen?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Australia, like most Western Democracies, is run by the people that the voter elects to betray them.

3. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

If this happens users of the internet are going to be running proxys every chance they get.

4. AuWolf

AuWolf Member

Haha and Rudd promised high speed broadband internet. This will of course slow it down and it will be harder to view streaming content. I doubt this will happen now as we're in economic problems but if it does I'll set up Tor. Isn't Tor the same program that people use to get past the Firewall of China?

Bur in my opinion we don't need the Government to look after us and what we do on the Internet. It is up the individual

5. onya

onya Guest

No excuses now fellow Australians! Use the link that AuWolf posted and write to Senator Conroy. Give this guy the drum....it may go un-heeded, but then again not. I'll post here again when I get a reply. Meanwhile...don't hold your breath.

Cheers.

6. varnull

varnull Guest

Print some flyers and posters.. plaster bus stops and derelict shops.. Make it #1 on the agenda.

7. onya

onya Guest

According to today's news cast (27th), there is approximately one month before proposals are tabled.

Here's a link to one of channel nines Sydney newscast tech reps...

http://www.charliesblog.com.au/p.php/Filtering+The+Internet+at+the+ISP+-+October+27th,+2008

Time to search for a concerned group of souls here in my city. I'm sure a lending hand will be welcome.
    Posters, flyers, bus stops and shops? I think someone has experience in this regard... :)
    [​IMG]

Draft a letter, spend 50c on postage and make a difference.

Cheers all.

EDIT: Sorry Varnull, it seems that I directed the last comment in your direction. It wasn't meant too...lol Edited for clarification.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2008
  8. varnull

varnull Guest

Unfortunately I can't.. not being an Aussie and all that..

But.. are the electors lists public documents.. it wouldn't be too difficult to publish the full lists online and have a co-ordinated email campaign using real voters names and addresses to floodkill the politicos inboxes with protests.

And yes.. I have first hand experience of running for public office and underhand public awareness campaigning..

Like posting stuff about EA on digg ;)