Auto installer messed my xbox up [Error 21]

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by playboy10, Nov 21, 2005.

1. playboy10

playboy10 Guest

i did it. now i tried to install my original dash from the auto installer, but that didnt work. every time i start the xbox i get an error 21 or something. i can still play games but it wont let me access the dash or the auto installers disk. PLEASE HELP ME!!

2. DarkJet

DarkJet Member

error #21 - anywhere - This error says that the machine was booted to display a error, basically someone told the machine to reboot (or launch a xbe) with this flag, and the error code just means its been rebooted by the flag

not to sure on what u have done but this is what a error 21 is

3. steimy

steimy Active member

"This occurs frequently when the xbox is unable to boot due to dashboard changes being made (ie Gcue true blue hasnt been resigned, parts of the stock dash are missing - incomplete FTP backups copied to a new HDD for example)."

which auto installer did you use?
    is your PS2 chipped or softmodded?
    did you back up your HDD first like you should?
    I have used Slayer 2.6 a few times with no problems.

4. form51

form51 Member

Ok, first take a deep breath, we'll work this out!

Let me say this:

The same shit happened to me. I had got everything installed and working. Then, I had to go and mess around with some files on the harddrive... big mistake! Error 21..

I thought I was going to have to open my xbox and somehow connect it to my computer to restore the files.. but then it hit me.

I don't know which game you used to install the softmod, but I used Splinter cell. Put the game into your XBOX and close the tray. Then turn your XBOX off then back on so it boots to the game.

Now you should be able to go and access the autoinstaller file (aka saved game) again in the same way you did it the first time.

If you did back up your XBOX (like the person above mentioned), you should be able to move all the files back over to your main directory via the file explorer function. If not, you should be able to reinstall the modded dashboard.. I used UnleashX.

After that is done, you should be all set as you now have a modded XBOX. However, if you wanted it to go back to your original XBOX dashboard (and you didnt back yours up), you can now access the XBOX via FTP and copy a downloaded XBOX dashboard over.

Let me know if that helps.. and like I said, take it easy! Too much stress will lead to a heart attack :)

-Frac

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

He has been getting help in another thread with this problem guys. His first error was a no dashboard error. He has done everything you said to do. He tried installing the softmod again but said he couldnt get to his game saves. He tried using an auto-installer like I sugested which I said to install the dash with the auto-installer. But it seems he still cant figure it out(error 21) now. Like I told him in the other thread this would have ben easy if he would have made a backup of his HDD C and E folder. I dont know what else to do except go there myself and fix it. LOL

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  6. userace

userace Member

HELP PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i start up my xbox and it goes right to an error message.
    i cant to my dashboard or anything
    i tried to reinstall the softmod but the game save is gone can someone help plz!!!!!!!

7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

This is pointless and getting out of hand.Iv tried to help but its hard to help somone that dosent want to be helped. If people would just search for the problem they would find threads and other sites that help you with this problem. For any newbie that is thinking of softmodding there xbox. RESEARCH HOW TO DO IT BEFORE DOING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. form51

form51 Member

User,

You should set up a webcam so we can watch exactly what you are doing...

What do you mean you can't get to your game saves?

You put splinter cell into the xbox and then it starts, correct?

-Frac

9. userace

userace Member

no i used 007 but i guess the auto installer wiped my hdd clean there is no game saves on it and i cant get to my dash to put it back in. is there a way to put the save back on there???
    my email is adam_sll@yahoo.com if any one could help or send me a guide to doin this i would greatly appreciate it.

10. vgamenic

vgamenic Member

I made the genius move of deleting the TDATA folder, now I get error 21 no matter what. Can I unlock my drive (its a 250gb replacement) with the xboxhdm boot disc i made when i locked it (softmod, used pc to clone and lock new drive)? Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: It does work! I just unlocked, reformated c and e drives, locked again. did't lose all the games i had on f and g drives!! Yay

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  11. userace

userace Member

vgameic can u help me plz i got the same error???

12. userace

userace Member

is there a way to connect 2 xboxs. i got a softmodded one and the error 21 one and a cross over cable.i wanted to try and copy the game save from the softmodded one to the messed up one. is it possible?? if it is possible can someone tell me how to do it or give me a link to a tut to do so plzzzzzzzzzzzzz?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  13. playboy10

playboy10 Guest

i ftped into the xbox and fixed it was real easy cuz my uncle helped me. i now have a modded xbox again and i backed up my files this time! LOL

14. vgamenic

vgamenic Member

Is it a stock or upgrade hdd? I just followed this tutorial when I upgraded mine:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/203286
    If you did it this way, hook the drive back up to the PC and run the same disc you used to lock it to unlock and try again.
    I would think you could do this to a stock HDD, but you would need the eeprom and HDD key handy.

15. userace

userace Member

i got a stock one never changed it. what is ftp and how can i do it??

16. JamesAM

JamesAM Guest

Thanks for your help, frac,

I accidentally installed the MS dash, and it wouldn't let me do anything, so I decided to open up my xbox and attempt hotswapping, by chance I was browsing the Internet while opening up my xbox, and I found this page. I would have never thought to try inserting Splinter Cell into my xbox, it worked a treat and I managed to install a backup of my softmodded Xbox.

BTW this is a great site

17. YuCKonIT

YuCKonIT Member

I cant FTP to my box b/c i cant even get to my modded dash...

here's my problem...

i modded my xbox using softmod installer deluxe 2.0
    i used the splinter cell exploits and was using evoX. For a while everything was fine. I wanted to save halo 2 to my hdd but i couldnt do it w/out leaving out the campain maps... so i went and installed unleashx(in the softmod installer package) after that everything went well... saved halo 2 to my hdd and was fine. UNTIL I TAMPERED WITH SOMETHING AND I DID NOT KNOW WHAT I WAS DOING!!! It rebooted my xbox and when it came back on i had the error 13 message and christmas lights. So i tried the dash update thing using halo 2 and creating a new account, so as it would boot to the dash and update it. When it booted, i got error 21 and tahts the end of the journey. If i turn the xbox off and then on, i get error 13 again. I WOULD ftp as playboy said, but i cant do that without being able to get to my softmod dash.

HELP?

thanks

18. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

19. Hulst

Hulst Member

Hey everyone..

I just wanted to softmod my xbox.
    The xbox did not react anymore.
    So I turned the xbox off and now i instantly get the message error 21. I know that the C drive is empty because minutes before I cleaned it without a backup. So does anyone know how to help me.

Please contact me!.. .(desperate)

20. backupguy

backupguy Regular member

pay attention to previous threads,the answers are there.