auto or manual???? Gotta read, intersting to the GOD

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by jeff3078, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff3078

jeff3078 Guest

This is Jeff again, thanks for responding. The service is Bellsouth dsl, but its the slower version, so i dont know what it is as far as speed of the line or modem. heres the thing, i did this two ways and honestally i got no help.
    1. i configured my modem as such: foward ports 6881-6999 and 6881 as host. then i enabled it, but, i also manually input my address #'s in the control pannel under network tcpip proptries. Next i ran a system test using https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 what it told me, if you care to read, was all ports were closed, which is a good thing, i think. i had no stealth ports. then I went to looki torrent using tornado and speeds ranged around 6kb.

2. next i re done the network proptries for tcpip to auto obtain, but i didnt mess with my modem settings at all. while having ip obtained automatically, i ran the same test, and like the time before, every thing was closed, like it should be, i guess, but, however, this time even though they were closed ports, it came back with a report on some of the ports that were closed. even though the test says that the ports closed is a good thing, it also told me things like you recived a ping.

so which is best, to confiugre the modem 6881-6999 host 6881 and manually input my info on network tcpip proptries, or, modem config the same, auto detect settings for tcpip? I tried both and got the same speeds for the looki site using tornado, speeds didnt change as far a downloading, but the ports were now closed too, and getting error messages.??????
    which is better to do manually for netowrk settings or auto???????????

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.