average temps

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hk2npck, Apr 20, 2004.

1. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

What are the average temps of a P42.4C. Should i be worried if it idles at 41C?

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

The idle recommended temp for that Processor is 36¤ or less

The median is at 40¤ and when you reach 45¤ the Processor Thermal Monitor may become active.
    So no.. you not too high.. but i would suggest you invest into a good heatsink to replace the OEM .

The Aerocool DP-102 is an excellent heatsink for the P4 and the likes.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper !

Take Care.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2004
  3. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

Well, heres the problem. My computer sits less than two feet from my head. I like it quiet, so i got 2 thermaltake blueeye fans, which make 21dB of noise. Before that, I had 2 other thermaltake fans(not sure of the name, but they were usually kept at 2100rpm) ever since I replaced them with the blueeye fans, i have temps of 41 idol cpu, and 37 case temp. I want a cool PC but a quiet one too. any suggestions? also, I heard that temps above 35c are hell for your hard drive. Is this true?

4. hk2npck

hk2npck Regular member

Also, i found the heatsink your talking about. its arround 50 dollars. I dont want to pay that much. I could get so many other things with that money!

PS. I brought the cpu back down to 2.4 and sold the dvd burner.

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Sorry --- you cant have it both ways -- $50 is too much for that heatsink you say.-- remember that CPU sells @ $160 .

Overclocking is not done cheap.-- and less you go for even more expensive cooling -- you will have that noise factor to deal with.

Hard drive are also very uncomfortable with temperatures above the 35¤ range -- When the room temperature is high in the summer , maybe you should take the cover off one side and use a household fan to push air in. !
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Do It Right , and you will be a Happy Camper !

Take Care.

[​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2004
  6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Ugh.... i dont understand the desire for quiet computers.... i wanna BEAST!! :p

Seriously though, 42°C is no cause for alarm -- the chips are designed to last up to the 90°C range so dont worry *too* much.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Just splash some cold water on it every so often if it gets hot, im sure that'll work a treat...cheap as well

8. bird1234

bird1234 Member

Oriphus,

If that's what you do to PC, I NEVER want be near your comp for fear of electricution. Is that how you cool down your monitor (projector?) Preator, i defintily agree with you, on the wonderful mobile barton, i have the Tornado on it. It's only about 52db, along with 3 thermaltake 2's which are about 48db running at max at all times. Liquid cooling, bah, it's overated. Except in Oriphus's case.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, it works a treat. Same as when im using the computer in the bath. Just stick the base unit in the water to cool it down (note you have to have your water below 40 degrees for it to work). Otherwise, if it starts to get hot, i just piss on it....

10. Praetor

LOL (Praetor is a fan of the Peltier coolers) :p

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

A man after my own heart

In case anyone was taking me seriously (if you were - im seriously worried about your mental state) i dont piss on my computer, bring it into the bath or any other such things. I was merely having a larf hoho

12. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

my athlon 64 runs at about 90- 120 F but it can go up to about 160 C without overheating....and my motherboard can also do the same.

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

To be honest, my computer sits under the desk with just the drives in view. I havent a clue what it does under there or at what temperature it does it. Every few months i update a few components and stick it back under there. For all i know it could have had children by now....

14. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I'd like to suggest...
    If you want cheap...
    1. "get a fan of some sort..." to cool off
    2. Keep in cool area or near a window for breeze but no sun...
    3. Take a break regularly by shutting down comp so it can cool...

Hoped this helped...

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I've run three computers in a 10'x10' room that are on all the time - never had a problem with temp....

16. bird1234

bird1234 Member

Shucks, i thought you were serious Orphius. :( I hope you keep the 10' by 10' a dust free room. If not, the computers defintely will one hell of a bunny population. And here it's after Easter. Oh well there's always next year.

Anyhow hk2npck, try getting some of the thermal sensor fans, there's enough to choose from. That or $200 for liquid cooling. If you do choose to spend the 200 on liquid cooling, just don't let orphius near it, he might try HIS liquid cooling ideas.

17. Praetor

I run my complement of towers in a small ass room too (im a student :p --- doesnt get much smaller than that) ... dont have much problem with heat... i used to have a problem with dust until i practiced the philosohpy of "soo much goddamn CFM dust doesnt get a chance to settle" :p

18. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Dust - that helps it doesnt it - u shouldve seen when i replaced my HDD and installed new RAM, theres about an inch worth of dust on the Graphics card lol