AVI files won't play on DVD player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by agme28, Feb 6, 2010.

1. agme28

agme28 Member

Hiya

I have burned 5 avi files to DVD+R but only the first will play on my Technika DVD player. They all work on my portable DVD player but none work on another standalone player. I used Burn4Free to burn the disk. When I try and play the other 4 files it says Skip File Since Prescan Fail.

What causes this? Is it a problem with my Technika DVD player, the disc or the files?

Thanks
    abi

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Sounds like compatability issue.

1)What's the brand name,MID code,and how fast did you burn that +r disc?

2)What's the brand name,model#,and current firmware version of your dvd-rw drive?

If 1 stand alone plays it,then it's an OK backup.Your Technika player is telling you there's something wrong with that backup that it doesn't like. Simple compatability issue.

Try the dash format,test in all your players and pc,and compare which ones play and which ones don't.Make sure it's a quality disc like taiyo yuden or verbatim.Burn at 8x. Crap media can easily cause that issue.

Try another program like convertxtodvd. Burn engines can affect picky stand alone players.

Lots of culprits to that compatability issue.

Myself,using convertxdvd and plus format: Backups are lower on the compatability spectrum with convertx. I bypass this by then re-ripping that convertx-Dvd backup through dvd shrink and autoburn with nero 6 with a booktype capable drive like my benqs and plextor. Far superior compatablility,even on the pickiest of all stand alone players.

No booktype capable dvd-rw drive,issue not resolved after the burn engine switching,you tried quality dash format verbatim,and a steady 8x burn speed: Time for an el-cheapo $20 player.

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

From the description, Burn4Free is just a data burning software, not a converter, which means you burned the AVIs as a data DVD, trying to play them in Divx player,not a DVD Video compilation.

It is possible Burn4Free is not doing a very good job, I would try ImgBurn. It detects the AVI container and will optimize the disc for divx playback.

You can also download MediaInfo and compare the working video and the 4 that don't work, see if there's any difference. If the player is Divx capable, no reason to convert the AVis using ConvertxtoDVD and such.

For "the other standalonr player", if that is not Divx capable, then you would need to convert the AVi files. I wouls suggest a free application, DVD Flick.

4. agme28

agme28 Member

Thanks Guys

I am still baffled by it all as it now seems more complicated than I thought to burn avi files to a disk which will play fine in a DVD player.

I have no idea what DVD drive I have. I just put a disk in the rom drive on my PC. However, I can never play a disk through that, it just doesn't seem to have the necessary program to do this anymore (I probably deleted it!)

So I have to convert the avi files before I burn them? So I need more than 1 program to burn a disk I can then watch?

Is there some player you can buy where you just stick a memory card in it and transfer files over that way?!

thanks
    abi

5. agme28

agme28 Member

OK so I tried to use ImgBurn but none of the files work on my dvd players now (apart from my portable and on the PC) so I think they are non DIVX players. I will now attempt to convert and report back, I am fast wasting disks but once I know what to do, there should never be need to waste any more right?!

The disks I use are Maxell DVD+R 1-16x speed recordable 4.7gb data ones.

6. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

To play AVI, (DivX, XviD), MP4 (H.264/MPEG-4), you need a PS3 or DivX certified DVD Player.

Those disc should be fine, I've used hundreds of Maxell... ImgBurn should be able to tell you the media/disc id. Simply open up ImgBurn, Mode, and Read (make sure to have a disc inside your dvd burner ready).
    [​IMG]

7. agme28

agme28 Member

So only a DIVX player will play avi files? I thought the files mine DOES play were only avi files anyway. Now I am stumped!

8. agme28

agme28 Member

Ah, I have used MediaInfo and it's clear that the DVD player can cope with XviD codecs but not DIVX ones. So how do I convert the DiVX ones?

Many thanks!!

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Man, what you've got is all a mess...AVi, Divx, xvid videos, they refer pretty much to the same thing(technically are not, but in layman's terms, pretty much interchangeable). We first need to know what DVD player do you have?

You say "I have burned 5 avi files,...but only the first will play on my Technika DVD player"...if the player wasn't capable to play AVi(xvid/divx), then NONE would play, period.So, does it play, or not? What brand/model is the player?

This would probably be a great buy:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/19893.cfm

@alkohol,
    Good to see you around, been a while!!

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I'm not talking about Data dvds,in case that's what the OP meant.

All I know on this subject is Convertxtodvd4 does all my avi/Mpeg4 (Movies) to dvd backups and they play 5+ yr old el-cheapo magnavox stand alone player.According to the specs,that player is non Divx/Xvid compatable.

2,and sometimes 3 700+ Mb avi's/Mpeg4's onto 1 blank dvd in less than 2 hrs,and the quality is excellent.Sometimes the entire process in less than 1 hr.

Not sure about the other avi-dvd programs.Why mess with perfection?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

DVD Flick has always been perfection for me, and it comes at a cost of $0.00!!:))

12. agme28

agme28 Member

Can I convert DIVX to DVD in DVD Flick? I want to burn 5 movies onto a disk, do I have to convert them together or not? Do they get put in a folder ready to burn or do they burn automatically once converted? It's important that I can put 5 or so movies on one disk, if possible.

Thanks

13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Are you talking about 5 full length movies, or 5 short clips?

Yes it is possible. You can have them all as one tile, or separate tiles with a menu to launch each title.
    Five full length movies on a single layer DVD, it won't let you do it.Even if you could work around it,set the target a DL and then DVD Shrink'it, is over 7 hours of playback, will look like crap, even if you'd squeeze it in theoretically.

Yes, you can set it up to automatically burn to disc when finished, but I would never recommend with any program. Save to hard drive first, make sure everything is the way you want it, in sync and all, then burn.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  14. agme28

agme28 Member

Thanks for that

Yep I mean 5 movies. Presumably you can have them all on one DVD if they are avi files no? I currently have disks with 5 or so movies on - either divx or xvid avi's. They work (on a portable dvd player). Is it just converted files that won't fit? What files types will they become? VOBS and all that?

thanks!

15. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Yes, they will be converted to VOBs and such.
    when they are in Divx format, they are in a compressed form, that's why you can have 5-6 movies on one disc.

Is similar with Audio CDs...usually you can have not more than 20 tracks or so, depending on the lengths...however, when compressed to mp3, you can fit over 100.

If you want to have any decent image quality, I wouldn't go for more than 2 movies on one single disc.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  16. agme28

agme28 Member

OK brill, thanks. Buying new DVD players is looking more and more appealing! Especially ones with USB connectibity.

17. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

It is, indeed, especially when it'll only cost you the price of a couple DVD spindles.
    The WD player I linked you to above is a good one. There are some cheaper ones also.

18. agme28

agme28 Member

Hiya

That does look good, I take it you don't need an HD Ready tele to use stuff like that? MY setup is I have two TV's downstairs and I want to be able to play movie files easily on both. So I'd need 2 DVD players (divx) or something like in the link which I assume could be linked to two tv's? Wirelessly?

I used to have the PC hooked up to the nearest tele, so I could watch files played on the pc through a video cable, but I really want to be able to use a remote control and watch things in better quality. I never knew it would be so frustrating!

19. agme28

agme28 Member

20. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

That looks okay.
    Good luck!