1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Azureus SocketException - Unexp. EOF

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Seanohue, May 8, 2008.

1. Seanohue

Seanohue Member

Hey I was wondering if anyone else is getting this error message on Azureus when trying to use private trackers, such as Demonoid. I can do the public trackers fine though. The entire error message is Connection Error (SocketException: Unexpected end of file from server). I am using a school network that blocks the download of .tor files, and I use a proxy to get around that, but I'm not sure if it affects the connections on Azureus since, as I said, the public trackers work fine. So, let me hear you thoughts on this :)

2. varnull

varnull Guest

public trackers use DHT.. private trackers only accept connections through the tracker. It is probably a proxy issue.

3. maanit

maanit Member

i have the same error with demonoid recently..
    it used to work perfectly fine till about last week.. and all of a sudden it stopped working :(
    demonoid forums are down so i cant even ask this there..
    any help is appreciated..
    i am able to download from all other trackers!
    and DHT is disabled on my azureus... should i enable that?

4. onehand86

onehand86 Member

I get the same error as well... Surprisingly, this is probably the first forum post I've seen about this problem recently.

Connection Error: (Socket Exception: Unexpected end of file from server)

This ONLY happens to me w/Demonoid. It started about.. hmm.. a few weeks ago? I can still connect with some peers via DHT, but this bypasses the tracker I believe..

5. Mez

Mez Active member

Are you all using Comcast or Cox? They are using a AI app that attacks torrent nodes. It has been not very effective until rescently. This week it has 'learned' some nasty tricks. I was crippled Sunday and killed last night. I was looking for a solution but I think Sandvines now has the upper hand. The torrent developers with need to re-group and try something else. With this level of success (complete domanance) more ISPs will be buying Sandvines.

6. onehand86

onehand86 Member

No, I am on Time Warner. And as mentioned, the problem doesn't appear with any other torrent sites, even other private ones. It seems to be exclusive to Demonoid only. It's very frustrating their forums are still down too.

7. onehand86

onehand86 Member

8. Mez

Mez Active member

Wait! I do not think Demoniod uses a tracker. Maybe your ISP is blocking the site. I have hear many were doing that at the old location. You had to use TOR to get your jobs.

So the tracker traffic is light enough that it can use TOR?

Oh, now that you got that circumvented (sometimes) I will warn you the next thing to go will be your router. All traffic dies when it goes. You will need to turn off your modem and router then turn them back on. The problem is Sandvines, the robot app that is doing the mischief, is tierless. It could kill your router evey 5 minutes. The only good point is these actions are fairly illegal. Comcast said they would stop. Instead they have ramped up. I guess they are not afraid of fines.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  9. maanit

maanit Member

hey i used the TOR method and still cant get this fixed..
    in Vuze (formerly Azuereus) after following onehand's link and instructions... i set up the proxy but i still got the SocketException error :(

any help is appreciated.. i really miss demonoid :(

refresher: Im on Time Warner

10. Mez

Mez Active member

You are using TOR and FoxFire as directed and still can't get in or you can get in but not down load?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  11. maanit

maanit Member

im using TOR... and set the proxy in azureus as the link above said to do so...

i can go to demonoid's website but can't connect to tracker/download
    i just get the error message in the tracker status

also, i don't know what foxfire is... i installed the TOR package, and from the instructions, it said the program works right out of the box!

thanx

12. Mez

Mez Active member

In that case just try a different client. If you are suffering from a Sandvines attack ( a cyber watch/attack dog ) that may work. It's only weakness is it may associate a cleint with an IP address. You tend to befuddle its record keeping if you use a different client each week. I would also NEVER try to download during prime time. I would keep all clients down during that time. It it has 'your number' so stick to the weekends. You can't go head to head with it any more like in the good old days because it has too many effective attacks.

Also try turning off your router and modem then starting them up. Sandvines can plug them up so that they are crippled.

13. maanit

maanit Member

see this seems like such a crazy issue just for demonoid... idk why
    EVERY.. and i mean EVERY other tracker works perfectly fine...
    and it seems like its a time warner issue

i just moved into a new apartment in the same complex so its a new connection and i still get the same error... its the weirdest thing i've seen.. and it really frustrates me that i cant fix it!

ill try switching to a different client... there's not many good ones for macs... but ill try transmission... hopefully that will help

14. Mez

Mez Active member

Now that you mentioned you are in a new place, the issue is with your client. Something got buggered, maybe a new install might help, a new client ought to fix the problem. You can use the new client for Demon and contune using Azureus for everything else. Yes, you are limited. Azureus is the only great client for the Mac. Demon doesn't use a listener so it will be slower anyway.

Let me now how you do. This has just got interestig to me.

15. maanit

maanit Member

so i just installed transmission and downloaded a torrent from demonoid...
    in tracker status.. this is what it said "Tracker Response: Unknown Error (0)"

So it seems like that didnt work either :(

trying on a PC desktop with an install of utorrent and see if that helps

16. Mez

Mez Active member

That sounds like the next logical step. If that doesn't work what is your status. Maybe you were banned. If that seems like it might be the case you migh want to contact the admin.

17. varnull

varnull Guest

18. maanit

maanit Member

ohh no... im in really good standing with demonoid..... always oveer my 1.x ratio :)

ohh and transmission didnt work... and utorrent didnt work either

19. maanit

maanit Member

neither options worked :( both still giving the same error message!

also.. to the previous post... ive used demonoid on other internet with my account and it works like a charm! like if i went 2 campus and use their internet (they have a verizon line) and it workes there.. its just im not on campus often and i dont wanna download on their network either... 2 many risks!

20. Mez

Mez Active member

Where you using the same computer at school? It could be an ISP thing. What is your ISP?