1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Azureus SocketException - Unexp. EOF

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Seanohue, May 8, 2008.

1. maanit

maanit Member

yes i've used the same computer on campus...
    im on time warner.. and i thought we've established already that it was a ISP thing lol

i was reading on demonoid forums and didnt find much help there :( same kinda solutions there and i feel like i've tried almost everything...
    i guess ill have 2 live without demonoid :( i love that site though haha

2. Mez

Mez Active member

Sorry, just trying to be helpful, you figured it was your IPS for good reason but did not state your reasoning.

It is also helpful to post there is a problem with Time Warner and Demon. The problem is fairly mysterious otherwise. Not sharing that would be a shame. I would be surprised if this problem does not spread to other trackers and other ISPs. It is the most elegant 'solution to the torrent problem' I have seen. For them there is no down side.

3. varnull

varnull Guest

Heres a thought.. the noid has the option to download the torrent file as a text file *.txt

Now opening one in that format has exactly the same information as a .torrent file so why not try changing the file extension and then opening it?

We had this similar error a couple of weeks ago with Vuze giving a file error.. reinstalling it cured the fault.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

varnull, good suggestion, it would be great if it works. So you are thinking the problem is in the loading of the torrent and not after that point. Wouldn't that be about the same as loading the torrents off line?

If that dooes not work, some persons will not be very happy. This is the first attack/blockage that is directed at a mostly pirate site. The FCC will not mind that.

Oh, by the way congrads on the promotion. I just noticed you are now an addict.

5. varnull

varnull Guest

It just came to me as a long time noid member.. I was having all kinds of troubles with torrent files on a customers machine last week.. "unable to open file" so download to desktop and launch instead.. That's to do with the change from Azureus to Vuze.. clean install fixes it, but you need to make sure you have got rid of all the old Azureus config files and directory. Vuze uses it's own built in peer guard, no need for the old safepeer plugin.. uses the same bluetack blockilst tho.

I'm still thinking that this is an internal config error rather than an isp thing. "unexpected EOF" seems more like the application is trying to open the file before it is fully downloaded and generating the error and halting. Possibly just loading the file from wherever it is stored rather than automatically trying to launch azureus with the file may cure it?? Demonoid servers have been slow.. very slow recently.

I have an XP machine in for repair tonight, so I will give the text file method a shot and see if it can be made to work in the land of virgin media, traffic shaping and sandvine. Just waiting for the capping to come off at 11pm

http://zeroization.com/2007/12/12/bittorrent-tracker-blocking/

I'm going to suggest to Binkles that demonoid maybe change to https like TPB have done.

EDIT

As promised reporting back...

Download the torrent file from demonoid as a text file then change the extension from .txt to .torrent (how to see that?.. http://annoyances.org/exec/show/article01-401 .. M$ are really thick.. who thought that not knowing what filetype something was could ever be a good idea) .. Double click the resulting file (the icon should become a blue frog.. hehehe) and it will launch azureus/vuze as usual ;)
    Tested 4 times on a customers xp machine.. works without problems.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008