Back to windows 98 problem

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by darksanta, Jul 2, 2005.

1. darksanta

darksanta Guest

I have a somewhat old computer. it was a windows 98 at one time then i upgraded to windows SE. After a while i started to get some viruses and my anti-virus won't help. I thinking starting from freash. here is the problem. I don't have the window 98 se disk, but i have the normal windows 98 disk. I try installing the later verson of window 98 but it says i cant install 98 because it is the out dated version. I had follow the instuctions for downgrading(if this work is real) to old 98 in the help, but it doesn't work. how do i get back to old 98.

P.S. not floppy drive doesn't work, to internet doesn't work on it anymore, and i have no other computer in the house

p.p.s. if you are wondering, i am using the city libery computer.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if floppy is having problem reading disks use a q-tip & isopropyl alcohol to clean the top & bottom heads of the drive, wait a few minutes than try booting off a good boot disk & if still not working than do this. change boot sequence in bios so can boot of cd. boot off the cd, fdisk & format the hd before loading windows. but 1st make certain have all your drivers for motherboard, videocard, modem, netcard & soundcard if pci

3. darksanta

darksanta Guest

the floppy was dammge because a floppy got stuck in it. i got it out, but the drive doesn't work. it was the way i pulled it out i guess. i tried the altered bios and boot from cd tons of time before. it doesn't work. it boot to 98 SE as normaly

no hardware problems. i checked. it's all software that i have a problem with.

4. ddp

can you get or borrow a floppy drive as a new 1 is about $10

5. darksanta

darksanta Guest

i fust don't want to open up my computer case. the pro i know live 2 hour drive away from me

6. ddp

it is not that hard to replace a drive if you want to & is good experience to see & know what is in your computer

7. darksanta

darksanta Guest

i don't want to risk damaging my computer, i just don't want to cross that line

8. ddp

is your win98 cd bootable than as it appears to be no

9. darksanta

darksanta Guest

is that anything i could do

10. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

You can alawys buy a new computer if you have money.

11. ddp

try the cd on a friend's computer to see if it will boot of it but possible that version of windows is not bootable. so you have to decide what to do,
    1:take computer to store to get fixed, lots of money,
    2:buy new computer, about $300-400Can,lots of money,
    3:eek:pen the case to either replace or fix floppy drive & hope you have a win9x boot disk,
    4:get a copy of win98se cd that is bootable