Back ups, yes and no

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by tkeep13, Feb 9, 2004.

1. tkeep13

tkeep13 Member

Quite simply, what kind of backups are ok?
    I Know from seeing posts that there are "no no CD's" and backing them up can not be mentioned on the boards.
    Out of curiosity, why are these "no no's" and for example a PS2 back up ok?

P.S.
    Please only reply to why some are ok and some are not, if you know :)
    Or an outside link that explains the reasons why.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  2. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

It's basically downloaded and pirated material that's a no-no on Afterdawn. All other backups are permissable, as long as you own the original copy, and are merely making a backup of it to protect the original, not for profit or gain.

Dene

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

If the post starts with "I downloaded _____ " it's safe to assume it involves piracy, and besides the obvious fact that this is illegal, it can also get board admins into trouble. If the reaction seems a little extreme sometimes, keep in mind that there's a lot of people who like Afterdawn a lot and we figure the least we can do is to try and keep it around. Plus it seems a little unfair for the admins to risk trouble for other people's bad judgement. If you're not doing anything illegal, ask away.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2004
  4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

As Safc_66 said, it is basically the context of the post which the backup is being asked for. Read:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    it does help, and the context of the question is important, Backing up because you can only buy the movie in New Zealand, (well now Peter Jackson is big enough that I can buy most of his earlier films in Canada) and your bother is starting to use the disc as a coaster, is justified.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Prisoner, I've got Bad Taste, Dead Alive and Meet The Feebles. You like those?

6. Xian

Xian Regular member

Prisoner is right. You can usually see by the context if it is truly a backup. I see many posts asking how to extract a .001 file, or what do I do with a .gi file, etc. Obviously they didn't create that backup themselves or else they would know what program to use.

I only backup programs that I actually own. Just as I buy insurance for my car, I consider that insurance for my investment in those games.

Basically anything that is not a backup of your original is not a topic for discussion here.
    Things that are not allowed are:
    Downloaded games
    Games rented from Blockbuster, Gamefly, etc