Backing up Back-ups

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by 7even, May 15, 2005.

1. 7even

7even Member

Hi all,

I tried backing up one of my back-ups with a Sony DVD+RW to no success. Here's what I did:

I used DVD Decrypter and did ISO>read, which created an ISO file and a MDS file. I then did ISO>write w/ DVD Decrypter, selecting the ISO file and writing to the DVD+RW at 4X. Disc wouldn't play on my Xbox.

I also tried burning just the image using Nero 6 at 2.4X. Didn't work on my Xbox as well.

So I've now come to the conclusion that maybe my Xbox can't read DVD+RWs. Before I try burning onto a DVD+R, I just want to know if my process of backing up a back-up is correct? I'm only supposed to touch the ISO file and not the MDS file, right? Is burning at a slower speed (i.e 2X) a better gurantee that the disc will work? Has anybody had any success playing DVD+RWs on their Xbox?

Thx alot.

2. punqewe

punqewe Active member

I've had problems with sony +R blue labels.

3. BR7

BR7 Regular member

The slower the better success rate; although I have burned at 4x successfuly, others probably at 8x as well, but slower is always best, especially when you are unsure what media to use. Stick to 1x till you get your media sorted out then go up from there.

For backing up back ups, dunno bout DVD Decrypter, but try this.. http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=15130&st=15&p=94251&#entry94251

I couldn't get any of the +RWs to work in my all-mighty Samsung drive, so I just use the ever popular -Rs (Ritek's or Verbatim's). Every xbox has it's own likes and dislikes.

4. HGC

HGC Member

Try using -RW or -R!

5. daredevl

daredevl Guest

Yes the xbox prefers the -r/rw media datawrites have given me no problems ever and they are a budget disc.

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Yes you will need to use the dash R instead of the plus R that should solve your problem also stick to good blank media as in TY , Verbatim ,Ritek or Maxell and correct burn at a slow speed if your using your X box for playback. i would go 2X max

7. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

ummm... Maybe try making a backup of the backup, the same way the people usually make backups of originals. ie: Rip to xbox, ftp to pc, create Xiso using Qwix or Craxtion 4, Burn to DVD using Nero.

8. woodyoz

woodyoz Member

hey there i have had no problems with dvd decrypter iso read then iso w...e..
    all mine good as gold and all done @ 2x...
    what chip has your box got..??
    maybe something to do with it..??

hope someone maybe able to have a solution for you..
    the guys are really cool on here have helped me out it right ways a few times..

cheers...