Backup Games Won't Work

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by baruch2, Aug 17, 2005.

1. baruch2

baruch2 Member

Hi, new here.

I recently softmodded my xbox using Splinter Cell, and all seemed to be fine. However, I tried using a backup version of Madden 2006 that I had burned with Nero, and it doesn't seem to recognize it. When I turn on my xbox, it goes to the launch menu/launch DVD/MS Dashboard/Reboot/etc. screen, and when I select Launch DVD, nothing happens. If I choose MS Dashboard, I get the following message-

"Your Xbox can't recognize this disc. Make sure it's an Xbox game, DVD movie, or audio CD. Also check to see if the disc is dirty or damaged. Remove the disc to continue."

After looking around the forums, I tried extracting the ISO using Qwix, and then rebuilding it. I burned it again but still no luck. I'm fairly sure my process is right, and I've burned in on slow speeds (2.4 and 4).

What should I do now? Does anyone know what might be wrong?

Oh, and I used this tutorial to soft mod. http://www.how2xbox.com/mod.htm

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  2. jamieshan

jamieshan Member

Have you tried other back up games? Do they give you the same problem?

3. baruch2

baruch2 Member

No, I've only tried two different Maddens. I'll see if I have any other games to try.

I don't need to flash the bios or anything like that, right?

4. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

It could be the type of media you're using. Try using something different.

5. baruch2

baruch2 Member

I've been using DVD+R. What would you suggest?

Thanks for the responses.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
  6. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

I meant brand types. Like what brand type are you using?

7. Sincere63

Sincere63 Guest

you are burning it the right way, so don't change that. but do try to use DVD-R media. this media seems to play in all systems. i have softmodded many and have only came acoss about 5-8 that actually will play DVD+R. Now many people on the forums will tell you to get Ritek media, but i never can find it, but online. I have never had a problem wit Memorex. Burn it at 4x and haven't had a coaster yet. you can get a 30 pack for about 15.

8. baruch2

baruch2 Member

Ah, I've been using Sony DVD+R. I'll try to get some Memorex or Ritek DVD-R. Kind of off topic but I'm curious, what's the difference between +R and -R? I used to know this but I forget...

Also, has anyone else had a disc in and, using the EvolutionX dashboard, had Launch DVD just not do anything? I was thinking I would at least get an error message with it or something.

9. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Try to stay away from Memorex. I would suggest Verbatim and TDK media.

10. Sincere63

Sincere63 Guest

like i said many people will tell you to use a different media. i'm not going to tell you to stay away from one or another, but from my experience, Memorex has never not worked for me and i've done many boxes. so you make your own choice based on your box, find out what works and keep wit that brand. me personally i never have used ritek,tdk, or verbatim. i use verbatim for the boxes that use DVD+R. so you do what's best for your box. use your own judgement. i would suggest just buying a small pack until you find the one that works best, rather buying a big pack and that type not work for you

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2005
  11. baruch2

baruch2 Member

Yay!! It works. Thanks guys. I had to buy memorex because that was all Staples had, but it works great.

12. baruch2

baruch2 Member

One last question...I'm going to try to play a PAL game on my xbox. I know I'll probably need to use Enighmah's switch thing, but there's no risk in doing it, right? I mean I'm not going to mess up my xbox and/or TV?

13. punx777

punx777 Regular member

i would definitly say that its because your xbox doesnt read +r's

From the charts ive seen i belive every xbox will be able to play -r's and only one or 2 can not play +rs (Depending on the mfg date and location, the dvd drives were made by different brands, yours is likely a samsung)

14. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Oooooh yeah a Samsung..mine won't touch +r either (strange that some people insist they do??)...My way of testing games when they don't seem to burn right is to un-iso them and put them on the xbox HDD..then if they work right it must be the burn or the disk.(or maybe a fussy drive/dodgy burner the list of things is endless).btw most ritek dvd- seem to be ok..but there are fakes about..test with DVDdecrypter or nero cd/dvd speed and maybe get some surprises..(Ritek 8X blue??Not!!!TDK 2X-R!!!!"$^%&)%£$"£fakes, but they DID work..just..).......shakes fist at xbox dvd drives

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2005