Bad quality AVI using SONY Firewire Connection

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by nitelife, Feb 15, 2003.

1. nitelife

nitelife Member

I am capturing off my Sony digital 8 Camcorder in Adobe Premiere using my firewire connection. Is there a better way to capture? Because when I play back the AVI file at full screne, there is a lot of interlacing and artifacts going on...

help :0

gordon

2. Amstel

Amstel Member

If you watch your video back in the Premiere monitor, you are right. But this is not the real quality.
    Watch your video in the Windows Media Player, maybe you have to install a DV codec, for the real quality.

3. nitelife

nitelife Member

That is what I'm doing. I actually find the avi file on my harddrive and view it full screen using Media Player 9.0, and i get the interlacing and fading going on. Any other suggestions?

4. CrumFarm

CrumFarm Member

What's the speed of your hard-drive. Anything less than 7200 RPM's can be skippy.

5. endorphin

endorphin Member

I don't know about the artifacts... but the interlacing is because you recorded interlaced video. In order to play it back without interlacing, you have to de-interlace it. That's a processing step that requires a video editing program. If you don't have one, you can do it with the free program VirtualDub (freely available online).

6. nitelife

nitelife Member

I am using Adobe Premiere 6.5 to do my capturing. Is there something i need to change in the capture settings? I don't find anything about that at first glance.

nitelife

7. endorphin

endorphin Member

If your videocamera records in interlaced mode (as most of them do -- only a few expensive ones give you the choice of a progressive or "frame" mode with no interlaced fields) then your video simply IS interlaced and that's how it stays when you capture it. It's actually a good thing that it's interlaced -IF- you're going to show your final results on a TV screen, not a computer monitor. TVs (except for expensive new progressive-scan TVs) still use interlaced video signals, so the TV actually uses the interlacing correctly and makes the action look smooth instead of jagged. But computer screens display a whole frame at a time, not interlaced. So if you're going to play back your final video results on a computer instead of a TV, you need to de-interlace.

Premiere has a couple of options for de-interlacing. It doesn't do the greatest job but it works reasonably well. The simplest way to do it is: when you're ready to output your finished version, go to File > Export Timeline > Movie, then when the Export Settings box pops up go to the Special Processing page, click "modify", then on the modify page check the "Deinterlace" box. (also a good place to adjust the gamma if necessary, and it gives you a preview window so you can see the results). Oh, and on the "keyframe and rendering" page of the Export Settings window, you want to set "No Fields" if you're going to be viewing your final product on a computer, and "lower field first" if you're outputting for TV viewing.

That process does a reasonable job of deinterlacing but much better ways are available if you study up. One of the best is to output your video interlaced like you did before, then run it through a free program called VirtualDub (easy to find and download online) and use its "smart deinterlace" filter, which works really really well. VDub also has a lot of other great filters that can clean up your video and improve the color balance, brigtness and contrast, and they're somewhat faster in most cases than Premiere's processing. Check it out.