Basic Network setup

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by netnewbie, Mar 4, 2004.

1. netnewbie

netnewbie Member

Sorry if this has been covered before - I have seen a few posts on the forums about network problems but need advice a bit more basic!

I am looking to network 2 pcs and 1 laptop (all XP)and share an HP multifunction printer and an HP laser printer (neither with inbuilt printer cards). I also have a broadband connection I would like to share if possible. I already have a Belkin gateway router (cat5 type) I was going to use to share the net connection but my requirments have now got a little more complicated.

Basically my question is what do I need to make the setup and what is the basic configuration. I am told that XP is pretty good at sorting it out once it is cabled up but I really just need a steer on the boxes and wires needed. I would like to share the printers and net connection independantly rather than as a shared resource from the main machine.

Much obliged and tia

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

You should just have to set all the PCs to use DHCP and connect them to the router. I haven't used a Belkin router but I would guess that it has a built in DHCP server and a WAN port to connect to your broadband.

As far as the printers go, you will have to share them off of the PCs or buy a HP Jet Direct card (not cheap) to directly connect them to the network.