Becoming a moderator.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Shad, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Shad

Shad Regular member

I was just wondering how the moderators became that. Is there any list of things you must do to become a moderator or is it a level you reach like newbie, junior member, senior member,..... until you reach moderator?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Senior members, mods and Addicts are all hand picked.

3. Shad

Shad Regular member

thanks for the reply!

4. Seraphim6

Seraphim6 Member

how many posts do you need to have to become a memeber? not that i have enough anyway, but just wondering when i can get rid of the tag "newbie".

5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

25 for Junior Member and 100 for Member. Hundreds quality posts for Senior Member. Thousands and recommendation from mods to become "Addict". For moderator, we (as in AfterDawn) need to have a need for more mods and typically consult our existing mods for recommendations for new mods.

For "Admin", you should consult your financial advisor for investing to AfterDawn Ltd ;-)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Petteri Pyyny
    Webmaster
    http://AfterDawn.com/

Please read our guides before posting questions! Guides are available here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/[/small]

Last edited: Feb 29, 2004
  6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

LMAO .... you serious on the financial advisor thingy? :p

7. dRD

Not really, although we could use some VC dollars to hire few guys permanently to develop the site :)

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

In my opinion funding for websites is a problem. Its the way in which the advertisement is done. google have a great system where on the right hand side of their search pages, there are a list of results that are paid for by the companies. However, the companies only get paid whenever someone clicks on their link. With the adds on this site (i believe) merely clicking on the link is not enough to generate any funds for afterdawn. If many users are like me, chances are they will click on a link, have a look and then go back and buy later if they want something. I personally have directed over 5,000 people from my site to a particular PS2 Mod Chip site and still have only recieved somewhere in the region fo 20 sales. Now i know about 10 people who have purchased from that site.

What i think that the bigger sites should be doing, such as afterdawn, is pressing these advertising systems, dRD knows which ones im talking about, who set up the whole link system into changing it slightly. Maybe dRD can give us a better insight into it...

9. dRD

Oriphus: Actually there are three different types of ad methods available:

CPA -- commission for sales that site links to the retail site

CPC -- cost per click, i.e. whether the user buys anything or not, retailer pays publishing site certain amount for each click

CPM -- cost per mille (thousand) page impressions, where advertiser pays for banner views, whether users click on them or not.

CPM is ideal for publishers, but only big sites normally can get such advertisements (luckily, we can). But obviously advertisers drop advertising on a site, if the ROI -- return-of-investment -- isn't good for them, i.e. they need to make more money from advertisements than they spend on advertising. I.e. If you purchase ads for $100 on site, and users from that site come to your store and purchase goods worth of $2000 and your profit margin is 10%, your ROI is 100% as for spending $100, you've earned $200.

We utilize all of the three forms of advertising, but obviously put most effort on CPM ads, as they're more predictable for publishers.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Petteri Pyyny
    Webmaster
    http://AfterDawn.com/

Please read our guides before posting questions! Guides are available here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/[/small]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2004
  10. Praetor

*Praetor walks in*
    *Praetor detects accounting terminology*
    *Praetor evacuates the area at high speed* :p

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

*And Praetor walks back out with tail between his legs*

Thanks for that dRD. Isnt CPC the best method to bring in funds? I hadnt realised that there were these 3 settings. I think im stuck on the first type with Commission Junction :-(

12. dRD

No, actually CPC is typically the worst.

CPC vs CPM: You, as a website publisher, take the risk in CPC model that if the advertisement sucks or is "not-likely-to-get-clicked", you still show the ad without gaining anything from it. Imagine a BMW X5 campaign -- "BMW X5 2005 model, now starting from £55,000". It's highly unlikely to produce any significant amount of clicks -- and most likely zero sales as people don't buy cars online :) But it has branding value and if the campaign is run on CPC or CPA basis, you get nothing, but BMW gets branding impact.

You can also compare CPC and CPA deals with CPM deals by converting them down to CPM. I.e. if you've shown 100,000 page impressions, get 100 clicks and each click pays $0.10, you've earned $10 for 100k which means that your CPM is $0.10 ($10 / 100 = cost per thousand imps). And same for CPA deals (even though its bit more difficult as most CPA systems place a cookie to user's browser when they click a link and give you commission even months later if they purchase something) -- how many ad impressions you've shown and how much money you've earned from those tells you the CPM.

..."slightly" slipping off-topic :)

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Ok thats cleared that up for me, thanks. Im going to look into my set-up a bit more. Back on topic...well i think the topic has been answered.

Cheers Big Ears
    Same Goes Big Nose

Get the picture dolly mixture
    I do not jelly tot

Ok, time for my medication....

14. staticjun

staticjun Guest

Ok... so 25 posts equals junior member... how come i'm still a newbie?? hehehe

It's just that this newbie tag doesn't look nice :(
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Just a newbie in this whole burning world[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2004
  15. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

ok taking this off topic some again...

I currently help run a website that gets between 3500 - 5000 hits a day yeah yeah mebbe not alot but does someone have knowledge of how many hits you need afore you can start recieving money?? kudos ....cents hehehee

16. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

The reason you are probably still a NEwbie is that i think the system only updates onece a week or something, so if you post 30 messages in one day, chances are you will still be a newbie until it updates. I get between 50,000 and 100,000 hits a day on my website and there is balls all money to made also. Go to Commission Junction and sign up (www.cp.com) i think.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]For your DVD needs http://www.dvd-and-media.com
    http://www.dvd-backup.tk
    For User Guides/Downloads: http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  17. dRD

Before you can start considering quitting your day job, you need to have appx. 500,000 page impressions a day or more and most of the traffic from the U.S., UK and other English speaking countries. I still have my day job :)

18. Jaybo

Jaybo Guest

dRD,

Yepper,

Kind of like the American TV show, *American Idol*, there are those who can't sing, those who can sing, those who can sing, but need another way to suppliment the income! LOL!!

19. Praetor

LOOL well said :p

20. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

To become I mod I thought you had to send dRD wife flowers and do what ever is asked. After you clear up the restraining orders, then you can be considerd but still have jump when ever asked.
    Crazy only 25 posts of junior member, thats not much. Staticjun and others I wouldn't worry about your rank. In some ways it can be a down side. Espcially with ones like addict, needs rehab and please stop following Me!!!! (after you name).

As for the money side, I have always thought if you want to get rich easy be born into a rich family. IF that is out of your control then you need to work for or invent something stupid like the clapper.