1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best brand for quality dvd movie copies?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Wolfmight, Mar 12, 2005.

1. breddick

breddick Member

Your advice is much appreciated!!! I haven't had a chance to look at the sites that you mentioned but I'll do it asap. I downloaded the "dvd identifier" but since my burner is still on a fedex truck I won't be able to get you that info just yet! hehe

I'll go get the Kprobe tool and check into the bitsetting utility that you mentioned. I'm new to this part of computing so I'm trying to absorb as much as possible.

I wanted to buy less than the 10 pack but's that's all they had that was from Japan. I don't figure I'll need very many but I'll have them if I do!

I'll post again when I get the burner installed... should be Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks!

2. movies27

movies27 Regular member

Fuji made in Taiwan...ouch..i hardly ever never see that i wander what the code would be on those? But IMO dvd-r are the most compatible with all dvd players.

3. recondo

recondo Guest

Taiyo Yuden all the way!

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Dvd-rom is the most compatable format. Ask any senior member, addict, or mod. This is the same format that the retail, pressed dvd's are.

5. recondo

recondo Guest

Mort81 is correct,DVD-ROM is the most compatable format,for thats why when we all rent movies and watch them they always usually play in our players.

6. movies27

movies27 Regular member

yea but they only sell dvd-r or + r in the stores to my knowledge.

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

mort81 & recondo meant to say DVD+R 'is the most compatable format'

i often read this statement, but as have always used -R from the start, and they play in PS2, all manner of standalone, whether old/new, cheap or expensive, have yet to see proof of this. Not knocking it, i just haven't had any playback issues like that

8. eric545

eric545 Regular member

Wolfmight

I have to go along with jka80. In the past I had three different dvd burners and most of my dvd recording were hit and miss. Now, I first decrypt the movie to a folder using DVD Decrypter, then I use DVD Shrink to get rid of all the extra junk, then I use Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 to burn the DVD using one of my two Plextor PX-716SA (Serial ATA)burners. I have been using mostly low name or no name DVD-R's and have only created one (1) coaster out the last 300 or so dvd's that I burned. Using the Plextor burner, Roxio offers to burn 8x blanks at 16x and 2.4x DL discs at 4x. I don't know what I've been doing right, I only know that I am getting outstanding results using the combination of software and hardware that use.

9. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Changing the format to dvd-rom is the most compatible,followed by -r then +r.However some burners dont support bitsetting,so then -r is the most compatible.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  10. fsfd1

fsfd1 Member

i like ritek go4 and go5 me like aint had no problems with them as yet and i have been using datawrite 8x fuji dye and they have been ok up to now and pritty reasobnabbly priced

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You need to read the rest of my other threads. +r is the ony one that can be booktyped to dvd-rom.

No, I said dvd-rom is the most compatable format. If your burner is capable of bitsettig to dvd-rom and this can only be done on +r, then +r will be more compatable. If not then -r will be.

For those only concerned about compatability issues with set top players their best bet is to buy a burner capable of bitsetting and use +r media booktyped to dvd-rom.

Ones I know of: pioneer and lg will not, lite-ons and their counter parts, late model sonys and late model memorexes, benq and their counter parts, phillips, and plextors will, nec with f/w mod will also.

For those set in their ways and having good results with their present way of making buckups thats great carry on but don't say it is the best way because facts are facts.

12. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

mort81 dont you hate it when somebody speaks for you?especially when they are WRONG!
    -r edges out +r for compatibility by just a bit.

13. creaky

i was meaning writable media (i myself prefer -R, but everyone has their own view on what's most compatible)

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Hey jd,

Ya, but you get used to it after a while he he. I'm not here to argue only help ya know.

creaky,

I'm not trying to argue with you buddy but dvd+r media is writable and dvd+r booktyped dvd-rom is the most compatable. Thats not a view or opinion thats a fact.

15. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Well im not on here to argue either, but -r is slighty more compatible than +r. And thats not an opinion either it is also a fact.

16. creaky

i'm not arguing. it's the 2nd time today i've been the wrong side of you JD, my bad.

17. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I read a VERY informative piece about comparing the plus & dash format, it was in a link on a thread on this site. For the life of me I do not remember which thread it was! It was a well researched & extremely learned document, which the writer had co-operation from major laser manufacturers.
    I do not consider my self thick, but to be honest 90% of it went right over my head! The end result was that the plus format IS better than the dash format. More reliable burns etc. It all boiled down to "wobble frequencies" of the lasers. This opinion was echoed by the manufactures too.
    I will do my best to find the article for you to read, hopefully I will find it & put the link in. Unless anyone here knows where it is. If I remember correctly it was on the CD Freaks forum, but I may be wrong!

Pulsar

Here is a link, not the article I originally wanted, but interesting enough. The last paragraph says it all!
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/122

Here is the link I wanted, whooppeeee!!

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113

I have had the best results using +RW format with my system. To be honest, I do not remember the last failure I had!

That's me screwed now!!

18. recondo

recondo Guest

I* didnt mean to stitr any sh-t but the most5 compatable format is DVD-ROM the next compatable is whatever your hardware likes right.Experiment, find out what your players and writers like, just like I did thats the only way you will learn.

19. movies27

movies27 Regular member

-R is more compatible...it was the first format to come out then came +R format...

20. creaky

good points all, maybe let's try and get back on the track of best media as opposed to whether it's - or +.
    This thread nosedived yesterday and today is a new day