Best DiVX resolution

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Rj686, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Rj686

Rj686 Member

I was just wondering what the best resolution is for 2.35:1 movies and 1.85:1 movies. I have mission impossible 2 on dvd but its in pal format. Im trying to convert it to a ntsc avi but i dont know whcih are the best settings and codecs.

Im using ImTOO DVD Ripper or AoA DVD Ripper....or mayve even autogk. Any prefrence on which is betteR?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Best resolution is the closest you can get to the original resolution, just crop the black and try to keep it mod16. Set the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) accordingly so like the original DVD it resizes correctly on playback.

To convert to NTSC you would slow the framerate to 23.976fps and the audio to match. Not sure if any of the apps that you mentioned can do that though.

3. Rj686

Rj686 Member

got any good tutorials for making a GOOD quality divx or xvid avi? pal to ntsc.

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

PAL or NTSC source, they don't really matter when you encode MPEG4 AVI.
    Both 30fps NTSC and 25fps PAL are converted to 24fps film by DGIndex(Jackei's DVD2AVI) within GordianKnot.
    Film is 24fps and NTSC DVDs are often interlaced, rarely progressive 30fps. Depending on the source, your AVI may be 24fps or 30fps.
    PAL is 'easier' in that you don't have NTSC confusion (is the source interlaced? or telecined? or film?) but I think you would still get a 24fps AVI from a Film source.
    Anyway AVIs have just a resolution and a framerate - they don't really come in PAL or NTSC if y'know what I mean :^)
    1.85:1 aspect ratio encoded 640x352 gives 225,280 pixels.
    2.35:1 aspect ratio encoded 704x304 gives 214,016 pixels (less!)
    I must admit, I cheat on my really widescreen backups (like Revenge of the Sith) and do them at 672x304. The technique involves cropping ~12 pixels from each side, at which point the output resolution in GordianKnot will 'jump' to the next template, losing 16 pixels (output) each side. The difference is ~2% output aspect ratio error, hence the cheat ;^)
    GordianKnot will backup either format, any/all DVD to AVI automatically.
    Regards

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

For a film source generally with PAL it is sped up from 24fps to 25fps. That is why I suggested slowing back down to 23.976fps.

6. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yes - sure, of course.
    But a suite like GKnot will do that automatically during the process.
    I dunno how, whether it does a frame-decimation (like NTSC 3:2 pulldown) or more likely, just slows it down.
    But it must maintain its exact run time and thus audio synchronization, which is why I suspect the result could simply be a 25fps AVI...
    I wish I had a PAL DVD to play with! I would love to follow in great detail what the GKnot suite does with it - but I just don't know.
    GKnot definitely embraces PAL sources however.
    I'm gonna research this, see what I can determine (it has never come up before).
    L8R

7. Rj686

Rj686 Member

thx for the advice :) guys. So i should probably use GKnot then? LIke i said what im ideally trying to do is create an ntsc dvd from a pal dvd. But i dont know a lot about remaking menus n such. Menus arent really im portant im just looking for a good picture. I heard somewhere else that divx to dvd does it but i couldnt get it to work correctly so im going the long way. Pal dvd to avi to ntsc dvd. Al though ive done one with ImTOO DVD Ripper i set the resolution setting too small and the quality was CRAP. Something i did notice in the dvd ripper is that you can force it to convert to ntsc fps.

8. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

If you want a DVD. I would forget about converting to an avi. Just go straight to DVD.

You can encode at 25fps and then use DGPulldown or use assumefps(23.976) whilst frameserving. BeSweet can take care of the audio conversion. You can use FitCD to help with calculating values and creating the AVISynth script.

9. Rj686

Rj686 Member

Sounds like a good idea, but im still a noob dude i dont know much about encoding video (yet), or using avisynth scripts n such

10. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Rj686, you asked about converting your DVD to AVI.
    Now you want to convert the PAL DVD to NTSC DVD? Entirely different matter.
    VCD = MPEG1
    SVCD/DVD = MPEG2
    DivX/XviD = MPEG4