1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Hardmod/Softmod Option?

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by Speculant, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Speculant

Speculant Member

I want to enable homebrew on my PS2 (so I can play my backed up games over my network), and I've looked at some options, including solderless chips, solder required chips, and softmod solutions. Everything is so expensive! I would rather spend that money on upgrading my computer to run PCSX2 at better frame rates.

Anyone on here reccomend a specific modchip or softmod solution that doesn't cost so much money? I'm thinking less than $20.

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

the only thing i can think (for under $20) is downloading software.possibly buying a modchip online and putting it in your self.

3. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Yeah for under $20 you can buy a modchip and install yourself.

Or you can ask a FREE VOLUNTEER to install fmcb 1.8 to a memory card for you.

You have to send your memory card, plus postage to them and back to you again.

4. Speculant

Speculant Member

What is FMCB? The free volunteer option sounds feasible, I have an extra memory card laying around somewhere I could send.

5. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

This guide here explains fmcb 1.8
    Basically it is a softmod on the memory card, that will allow you to play backups using an application called 'esr r9b' or you will be able to launch other applications straight from your memory card or usb device.

http://bootleg.sksapps.com/tutorials/fmcb/

Just check under INSTALLATION tab for the FREE VOLUNTEER program, among the other many methods of installing.

There are also user guides that have pictures etc, along the TABS at top of page.

Explanation of ESR by ffgriever

http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58441

There is also a new program now that allows you to play backups from your PC via Network, or from USB drives

http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62141

Its called OPEN PS2 Loader (OPL) for short. You can ask the INSTALLER to install it at the same time he installs fmcb 1.8 for you.

6. Hellz88

Hellz88 Member

So when I send in my memory card I ask for ESR and OPL?

7. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Yes that is correct, as uLe (ulaunch.elf should be automatic), but you can say it also to be sure. ESR is usually automatic also and SMS player.

8. Speculant

Speculant Member

Just in case I don't get some application that I want, can I just use a burned CD to run it or install it on the memory card later myself?

9. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Oh definitely. Using uLe, which is basically like a Windows Xplorer for PS2, you would be able to view your mc0, mc1 which are your memory cards, and USB devices (called mass:) on uLe
    You would then be able to use copy/paste functions using the R1 button to copy ELF files or gamesaves etc.

http://www.console-exploits.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9646 - uLe tutorial

10. Speculant

Speculant Member

Awesome, thanks!

11. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Your welcome.