Best Option

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by parkerstu, Mar 25, 2011.

1. parkerstu

parkerstu Member

Hey all thanks for stopping by

I am trying to find the best way to burn .avi files to dvd. I am currently using convertxtodvd but the encoding process takes like 2 hours for a 600 meg file. is there an easier way to encode so i can burn them to dvd to watch on my home dvd player? I was reading that alot of factors go into the encoding process namely the processor you have. I need some help here.

Thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

If you have multiple processors it can help - if the codecs can utilize them.

I don't use ConVertX but I can list some of the settings I can change when using FAVC for conversion.
    For the encoder (QuEnc) options, set the number of cores.
    Set the number of passes (1 or 2) that are to be made during the video conversion.
    You can opt to make Full D1 or Half D1 (half d1 is smaller resolution and lower quality and you don't gain a lot of time)
    Under audio, use existing AC3 audio if present (if the source audio is mp3 it must be converted to ac3 which takes time.)

Note that only the video conversion from avi to mpeg (in the case of FAVC) use the multiple cores.
    The other steps are still using a single cpu - I don't know if commercial programs get around this, because I don't use any.

For a single cpu, the best bet to avoid the aggravation is to set the conversion to start overnight.

3. parkerstu

parkerstu Member

Well if you don't use any commercial program can you recommend something outside of that scope?

4. attar

attar Senior member

5. parkerstu

parkerstu Member

dude ill give this a shot. i am just in a quandry here cause I use my parents PC to encode files which as an AMD Sempron processor at 1.8GHz so its mad slow.

6. attar

attar Senior member

Let it run overnight.
    Using FAVC you can load a file and start it converting.
    It immediately pops up a message saying that you can exit or select another file for processing.
    Remove the first file from the window and select another, start converting and load another.
    The files will be processed in turn and saved to separate folders.