1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best P2P applications?!

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by jlrm365, Jan 8, 2005.

1. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Thanks for the thanks!

Ares is quite cool, though I am now exploring other options... to have a backup.

Exeem would be good if you could see the dimensions of a file's final output. That's probably the most important thing for me to find, next to overall ease of use. Someone told me it was riddled, but I put that down to a corrupt build, as I've never had problems with it. Shareaza seems to have the dimensions on display, though it's not quite as slick as others.

Oh well...

Peerguardian is like a cloak. The idea is that it prevents the men in black from finding out who is downloading what and making examples of them! It would be good to get!

2. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

I heard that their are ways around peerguardian and if so is it realy worth having, i think it is just something to make us feel safer cause if they really wanted to find us they would.

3. koolkutta

koolkutta Member

all of u who like ares try warez it is basicaly the same just a little easier to use and see whats real all same files

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Actually we would because it's against the rules. Email addresses can be exchanged via PM.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  5. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

warez looks almost the same as ares. One problem I am having with it is hung on "Performing search, please wait". It seems to be saying "Connecting to network" at the bottom also. The first time I went to install, there was a problem with the SP2 patch but the second time it seemed to go through ok, so what do I need to do to make things work? Does Warez normally take a while to warm up? It's been several minutes. Does anyone else know of any P2P software that appears similar to Ares? What attracts me to Ares is it's simplicity and that it displays file output dimensions so, if there are other things that do, please do let me know.

6. hodab

hodab Guest

I've been using DC++ for a long time and have enjoyed it alot. I have now about 200 GB shared on it and can get files at the speed of 800 kb/s. Somethimes they come at the unbelievable speed of 4 mb/s. I haven't had a BIG BIG problem with it, the only complain is that it doesn't play the incomplete video files, like Kazaa does. Try DC++, and share as much as you can.

7. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

So with this, as with others, you need to share or be a seed to get decent speeds?

Does this not open you up to legal action?

Would it not be better, from a download point of view, to receive the file and then move it into a non shared area.

Forget the ethical issue of that. Would it not be as fast?

8. marleymuk

marleymuk Member

on dc++ to get access to the great hubs with great speeds (i.e. sweeden ) you have to be sharing a lot one thing about dc++ i have never heard of it being hit by the MPAA or the RIAA they seem to leave it alone for some reason. there is also a hacked version of dc++ called reverse connect wich lets you download from multiple files at the one time something a bit like bit torrent i have been using this for ages now. the only flaw with this its pretty usles for new stuff but great for older stuff.

9. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Hmmm - well its the new stuff I am after and it seems torrents, though not P2P are the way to go. That being said, I would still like to know what people think is the best P2P software. I favour Ares but would like to try a backup and opinions have been varied.

10. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Personally...I use limewire...yeah i know there are huge talks about it being littered with viruses and spyware...but i haven't never seen it. So really, it is just who it is downloaded, i guess....

But, DC++ is pretty good, however, it can get alittle trying sometimes....but all in all, most have their favorite p2p apps...guess it depends on the person, computer, and what you do with it.

11. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Personally...I use limewire...yeah i know there are huge talks about it being littered with viruses and spyware...but i haven't never seen it. So really, it is just who it is downloaded, i guess....

But, DC++ is pretty good, however, it can get alittle trying sometimes....but all in all, most have their favorite p2p apps...guess it depends on the person, computer, and what you do with it.

12. imIndian

imIndian Member

what about blubster? is it good?

13. hodab

hodab Guest

Personally I think that you can everything you wish from DC++. It is a huge source of files. It's enormous, it's a symbol of internationalism and public property. And DO NOT archive a file you have downloaded in a different directory that is not shared. The logic is simple: YOU MUST SHARE IF YOU WANT THE SHARED. Try DC++, and enjoy it. you can get old and new, everything.

14. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Very Very true...

I know when I was using it it was great, you were able to see all the files and go through all the shared folders. You'd be surprised as how much stuff people have.

Yeah that's true too, but some are actually running into some problems...check this one out hodab, don't know how many people have, but I know what you are saying about the sharing.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/171286

15. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

Well this all sounds great but, having spent more and more time with torrents, I think Ill stick to Ares for my P2P and torrents for most things.

16. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Anyone one have a good guide on how to donwload from newsgroups? I know it involves binaries??? Anyone can you hook me up? Thanks!

17. Weycraze

Weycraze Regular member

I've been downloading a long, long time.

The usual p2p apps, bearshare, ares, warez etc ( the network ones.) I use when I'm looking for garbage.
    WHY? You really don't know what your getting. People remane files like crazy. What a joke. For new users, they are a dangerous place. Always scan your downloads for viruses here before you open anything.

F-serves, XXDC, and Torrents are the way to go.
    Here you know exactly what you are downloading.
    ( but always scan everything )

I've read already a few threads where people suggest to turn off your firewall.

Why on earth would you want do to that? Learn how to use your firewall properly and allow it to grant access to a connection for the software you intend to use.

18. mickK

mickK Regular member

Well I find ares not that great it cannot find most of the hard to find and new songs i am looking for. I think Limewire pro is the best P2P program out there cause unlike kaaza it doesn't have any songs that have beeps or any other kinds of currupt noices in them but still has currupted files on it but lets you know when one is. Take it from me go on the net to see if you can find Limewire pro and get the latest version of java and you can get speeds like kazaa

19. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

anyone like warezp2p?

20. Synth05

Synth05 Guest

Blubsters full of spyware, but if you got ad-aware se updated you should be good.