Best Performance/Cost Efficient System

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by DVDBACK, Nov 14, 2003.

1. DVDBACK

DVDBACK Guest

Hey guys.....i have been pondering for about a week about the best solution to this problem. I currently have a socket A motherboard....ummm "asus a7v...-E or something like that", an athlon XP 1900+, 1024 of samsung ram, GFORCE TI 4400, and 120GB hard drive. The question is: upgrading??? I was thinking about going to a P4 system with 800 FSB? If so...what is the recommended upgrades? Motherboard, CPU, etc. I was also thinking about sticking with the Motherboard....if so what CPU to upgrade to?? Should i get some new RAM??? Just suggestions guys. I'm looking at spending about 300-400 dollars. Also, i was looking at water cooling the system? Good idea? If so what kit? If not water cooled...what heat spreaders.....fans...etc to use. What is the best overall solution?

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. You dont REALLY need to upgrade yet. Wait a couple months for the 64bit wave to hit before you bargain shop (or goto computer shows - there is always one @ xmas time)

2. Depoending on (a) how much research you do and (b) where you are from, you can BUY a new system for 300-400. I would know. I do that kinda thing :)

3. Although these prices are circa August2003, you can easily grab Barton2500, A7V8X-X, 120GB 7200, GF4MX460/440, Case, PSU, KEYBRD, MOUSE, ASUS522452 (burner), cheapo LG16x DVDROM, 512MB PC2700 (1GB if you look hard) -- thats a complete system btw, for well under $400 (CAD). THe only catch is you have to assemble it :)

3. mdtplus4

mdtplus4 Member

Where dude? I find myself in need of a new mobo and processor. Where can I find all the pieces for well under $400?

Thanks, Mark

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Damn near anywhere if you put research into it... look for those small stores that dont have (nor NEED) advertising hehe. Kewl places really (I'm from Canada btw)

5. G-4CE

G-4CE Regular member

Hi guys im lookin for the best pc possible for around 1000GBP i dont know much when it comes to computers but im still very interested by them especially for burnig games,dvds ect and surfing the net usual stuff so i want speed basically any suggestions on good packages?