1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best settings for exporting video please

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by JULIE AL, Mar 12, 2020.

1. JULIE AL

JULIE AL Newbie

Using nero 2018

I'm looking for the best settings to create a home video. After compiling the videos, from iphone, and then using export to a file, the resulting videos (using different settings) vary from 12GB to 2GB but the playback isn't smooth so I'm guessing its also to do with fps settings. I'm not an expert at this and wondered whats the preferred settings you use to get better playback quality but also lower GB? I've been at this for 3 days and one video resulted in 12 gb with no visible difference in playback

2. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Hi-

What are you selecting when you open Nero Video?

Open Make Advanced Movie. Import one of your files. Double click on it and select the Metadata tab. What is the Duration, Video Format, Movie Size, Frame Rate and Bit Rate?

3. JULIE AL

JULIE AL Newbie

When I open Nero video, either express or advance I import my iPhone video files. If I click on one, then the metadata tab I get MPEG4_H264 (format), frame rate is 29.97 and bit rate is 14.85 Mbps The duration varies depending on the imported video (or did you mean metadata of the exported video I Made).

Ideally I'd like to achieve the CLARITY that you get when you play an iPhone video through the TV. Is that possible and what settings do I need to set at export. So far selecting AVC format and AVC profile at the export stage get me the lowest GB size. I've even used re-code to decrease the 19gb file I had to 6gb without any loss of quality (that I can see).

I'd happily have a larger file if the clarity was better.

thanks so much

so the imported video I made recently (if that's what you meant) has MPEG4-H264,(format) frame rate 29.97, bit rate 2.49 duration is 1 hr 29, size is 1.72 gb Its ok but again its the clarity which seems to be lacking. The iPhone videos are crystal clear on the TV yet somehow through the nero process they lose clarity.

4. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Thanks for the information. However, I am also interested in the Movie Size (that's a specific category shown in the metadata). Would you provide that? For the time being, I'll assume it's 1920x1080.

One of the options available in v2018 is to select "edit vertical video" in the opening screen. That's specifically designed for phone video. The export option is set to AVC (1920x...). You might give that a try to see if you like it. Just use the default settings for the export.

Open Make Advanced Movie and import your video. In the Options, Movie Options, is it set for HDTV (full hd)? If not, set it to that. Go to the Export options and select AVC. Click on configure in the profile settings. Is the video quality set to the bit rate of your video or something different? If it's significantly different, set it close to the bit rate of your video (roughly 14800kb/s.

Export to file. Does that help?

5. JULIE AL

JULIE AL Newbie

Movie size as you say 1920 x 1080.

I always film in landscape mode. so no need for edit vertical video I think
    It was already set to FULL HD in movie options

The last point seems to be the big thing though. Once I changed it to 14000 it seems to be clearer to me. Now to redo some of my older videos (luckily I've kept the originals).

My question to you would be - can you explain which this bit rate thingy would make so much difference. I'd previously tried so many settings, include HD Ultra and not got much better quality. Hate to be a bother but just want to get my head round it.

6. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

I don't know if I can answer your question easily. When your camera captures the image and converts it to digital (0's and 1's which are bits in computing) it can transfer the data either slowly or quickly or somewhere in between. That speed is known as the bit rate, bits per second). The faster it transfers the bits, the higher the amount of data in a picture in a given amount of time. As a result, you get more information and a better picture (resolution). So, your 1920x1080 needs a minimum bit rate to get the good picture and higher is better. For something like DVD-Video which has lower resolution, the bit rates are slower and the picture is not as good as the 1920x1080 video. The downside of very high bit rates is that the video will be much larger than the minimum bit rate. Does that make any sense?