best way to get a home movie onto pc?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by NahliJ, Feb 19, 2006.

1. NahliJ

NahliJ Member

well i want to make a tape or something and have it on my pc to hand out to some net friends (i live in nyc theyre out else where and wanna see the city)

moneys limited

i was thinking of getting a miniDV cam with usb

i have no idea how to approach this and what would be best and a money saver :p

yea damn it i am a noob but i bet theres tons of stuff i know that you dont >:3

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

all you really need is to have some equipment that can output your file via firewire or usb to your computer as either an avi file which can be converted to mpeg2 or outputted to mpeg2 and then you can burn them to dvd or upload them to be transferred to your net friends

3. stephengp

stephengp Member

Hi. All you need to do is use the Microsoft supplied MovieMaker programme. You just plug your MiniDV into your PC using your USB cable. You open MovieMaker and in Tasks you click on Capture From Video Device. The MM Programme should then do the rest for you, giving you prompts along the way. Once completed, you can then use a programme such as DVDSanta to copy your chosen video images to DVD.

4. rav0

rav0 Member

stephengp, how do you connect using USB?

5. stephengp

stephengp Member

Hi. Hopefully your PC has at least one USB port on it. If it does, then you just use a cable that has the USB end and a DV input end on the other. I'm sure there's a technical term for the cable, but basically that's the type of cable you need. Might be called something like PCU USB Cable. The other thing to check is that your camera has DV OUT facilities. Virtually all MiniDV cameras have DV IN, but not all have DV OUT.

6. rav0

rav0 Member

7. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Don't mix up Firewire with USB. If you're taking about DV connections, you're talking about Firewire. If your camcorder has Firewire, always use that.