1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit Tornado Problem

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by gr8ful1, Aug 25, 2005.

1. gr8ful1

gr8ful1 Member

I installed Bit Tornado 0.3.12 and updated Linksys to forward ports 6881 to 6889 and checked the TCP and UPD and applied. Each time I've tried to download, I've gotten "ERROR [date, time]- problem connecting to tracker - [7, 'getaddrinfo failed']" in response. I read in an FAQ to ignore and let it run, but after nine hours with no connection, there must be something wrong.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance for any help.

2. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Yep, change your ports.
    I use 10000-10004 sometimes I'll open
    Other goods ones would be 17119-17121
    and port 65535 works good as well.

3. gr8ful1

gr8ful1 Member

I don't use Windows firewall (Norton). I walked thru the open ports tutorial, but I'm confused. My TCP/IP filtering is set to "Permit All" for TCP ports, UDP ports, and IP protocols. DHCP is enabled. Do I have to open 10000-10004 (like the tutorial)? I reset the Linksys for port forwarding (10000-10004). Still not connecting to the tracker.

4. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

You have to open the ports on your PC. The tutorials Part 1 as well as forwarding the ports Part 2. Some routers may/will need to be restarted for the changes to take effect.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2005
  5. NINVIN21

NINVIN21 Regular member

I dont no anything about ports or routers,

I just wanted to say try downloading some differnt torrents and see if they all do that. Cause I find a lot of torrents that are screwed up and what not.

Sorry to waste your time if you already tried this.

6. gr8ful1

gr8ful1 Member

I followed the port opening tutorial, and set up forwarding on the router. UNfortunately, I've had trouble ever since. At one point the torrent started to run (I believe because I got a folders structure set up w. 0 bytes), but I lost access to browser and mail (during this time network status was "connected"), and I was assigned a different IP address/gateway changed (ipconfig /all). Is this normal? I thought torrent DLs/ULs in the background? Anyway, it took a lot of trial and error to get back - obviously, I'm FAR from an expert. Now, something seems to be running that I can't detect because Norton Protected Recycle is continually being loaded with protected files and operation is slower than normal. Any idea what's going on here?

7. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

I understood everything up until the norton recycle bin part, but do you have a Static IP set up on your computer? Nothing should be changing automatically, I'm no pro, either but it sounds like may your IP was one thing before the port forwarding and now it's another. So yeah, do you have a Static IP assigned to your PC?

8. gr8ful1

gr8ful1 Member

The thing with the recycle bin - I've never seen anything like it. There were around 1600 protected files when I logged on so I emptied, and then about a minute later, there are 90. I don't know what is putting files in the bin?

I was able to reset the router to its (normal) IP address, and then was able to again access Explorer, mail, etc. Before that, although the status was "connected", Unable To Display Page was the response to all attempts.

I don't know about a static IP address - the TCP/IP properties are set to obtain an IP address automatically.

(During this reply, 192 protected files have accumulated in the recycle bin...)

9. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

You and me both, LOL.

Just below that option is: use the following IP address. That is where you set up an IP address. It's hard to forward ports to an IP that could change so that's why you should always use static when working with port forwarding. This tutorial will help you to set one up...
    http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
    Just select your operating system and folllow the tutorial

10. gr8ful1

gr8ful1 Member

Thank you (for all of your help/suggestions). If I get back to port forwarding/torrents I'll use the tutorial. Right now I have to find out what's happening with the protected files/recycle bin. I've swept for viruses a couple of times and removed some spyware - I have no idea where to even look...there are no unusual processes running according to windows task manager (mostly System Idle Process).

(There were 1500 files added between the last and this reply, and about 150 during this one - most peculiar?)

11. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Sound like maybe a virus, probably Trojan infecting your PC, again I would be speculating...It's a first since I've heard anything of the sort.