1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit Tornado Settings

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Weezer00, Oct 9, 2004.

1. crit71

crit71 Member

sofa2333, just for the book, Peers are others your sharing with and seeds are completed versions of what your downloading. If you aren't connected to many seeds you will get poor download rates and if your connected to only a few peers you will get poor upload rates....pretty simple eh. Bittornadoe locks up if i connect to more than 50 seeds/peers which is really anoyying. Especially when there's 100's of em out there.

2. oreos

oreos Member

Alrite now guys...i juz checked my download speed is gonna increse to 2000kpbs and upload 128kpbs on 1st April

so heres the question...wat settings shd i set for under settings?

In pref...wat shd i set for default rate settings or rate settings mode.

also UPnP port forwarding shd it be disabled as i do not have a router?

Mates i m still not getting a good rate frm everything i tried...wierd

O n btw my setting r set as dsl/cable slow rite now is it correct?

Plz help any advice is deeply appreciated....thx

3. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

Not to burst anyones bubble but i've been using torrents for a while now, The speed of your download is all on the file you are downloading. Also if you are uploading at a certain speed your download is going to be a bit less than that (Normally not always). So depending on the file you check and see how many seed's there are (Seed's being people sending the file out) Then you look and see how many people are downloading that specific file. basically as crit71 said. If there's 100 people downloading and only 17 seed's out there and they only have a total together of 850kb's (If there upload speeds were at 25kbs) That means everyone get's to share the 425kb's. Now with a total of 425 kb's upload speed for the seed's and 100 downloaders that means there is aproximitly 4.25kb per person.... So your download would be at 4.25kbs. This is when the other factor of torrents comes in. If your trying to download then you have to seed some... If you offer 25kb's upload speed and 75 of those 100 other people are offering 50kb's there speed is going to be 2x faster downloading than yours cause you have to share to get. That would bring your speed down to a little more than 2kb's per second. (All of this was just an example) Speeds will differ per download it just is all about math. The best setting to use for bit torrent is automatic. It will do everything for you determining how fast your going to download and upload. The next best setting will be 0-upload and 0-download (0=Infinite). Depending on how fast your connection with the internet is. It really doesnt matter what you set your router to or anything else like that it's just what's going on in the moment. On bittornado you get a share rating a share rating determains how much of your speed is going to upload, Usually a good share rating is 1.000 but if it falls below that dont worry it doesnt make much of a diffrence. Also if you notice that your file is jumping up and down. That is because diffrent people are jumping on the downloads with more to give than you. It's not anyones fault that your speed is slowing down it's just that a newcommer to theat specific download (or in certain cases, newcomers*) are giving away more upload speed and taking more download speed away from the file. I hope this helps with some peoples questions... You really shouldnt worry about all the settings...

4. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

just one more thing seeds arent arent always completed files. If you look at your download your considered a seed because what you download automatically because a seed for everyone else to use. So if someone has just started a download and has 10mb's done and you hop on you can start on there 10mb's and that's a helpfull seed to you. But if for some reason you supras them while downloading they no longer become a seed for you and you loose that download speed. (reasons could be that they closed the file for sharing they finished the file for sharing or many other things. thought i would just add that.

5. djhunted

djhunted Member

Okay guys this is driving me bonkers.... II recently set my ports on Tornado to 55566-55599, then setup my router to forward these ports using TCP protocol set the IP adress and for some reason it was working... Then just recently my IP changed and it quit working, so now i finally set my router and PCs with static IPs.. And have reset the port forwarding to forward ports 40000-50000 and enabled bothe TCP and UDP, plus set the new static IP to bind to and enabled it ... however every single time i attempt to connect I get the message - Couldnt Listen - Unable to forward port via UPnP... I even have went int advanced and binded the IP and tryed it w/o binding the IP in Tornado, but i get the same result.. Ive also powered down the router and computer and the same thing still happens... If i set the ports in BT out of the range im forwarding i at least get it to teh point of where it asks wher eto save the file but it wont connect to the tracker.. im completely lost on this.. it worked and then it wont anymore afte rthe one time the IP changes.. i dont get what im doing wrong, if i am doing anything wrong taht is... any help would be greatly appreciated..

fyi, im using tvtorrents.ws as a test site since i know the trackers almost always work there

6. robbo59

robbo59 Member

Please somebody talk english to me, i need help big time,

Am having the same problems with bit tornado Yellow light running at a max 20-30kb/s
    Can someone tell me how to change the ports on winxp or route thorugh the router????? for NTL(uk) and how to do that as am a bit on the thick side lol.....

I have been using Bit Tornado for about 6 months and it's realy pi*sing me off, i have a 2meg connection, anyone please.

You can PM on robbie_fairhurst@fastmail.co.uk

7. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

OK you guys with the problems. I've been through this all a while back. Ignore me if I am covering basics - some may not know. My observations and advice:

In the BitTornado setting, set ports to use above 17000. I use a few in the 17000 range myself (example 17119 - 17121 random). Only one port is needed it seems, you don't need a range. I would not go real high with the ports either. (I just know what works, not an expert).

Then these ports you set in BitTornado must of course be duplicated as the port forwarded ports in your router. If you don't use a router or if you use Windows XP, use Windows XP's firewall "exclude" button there, don't worry about port forwarding. Several programs are automatically excluded by the XP firewall, like Messenger programs. But you definitely need a firewall (either a software firewall or a hardware firewall in a router) for Internet connections, so don't just turn it off completely. If you use a different firewall same thing applies.

Do not get confused about KB/s and Kbps. 30 KB/s is in Kbps 30 x 8 = 240 Kbps. Some idiot started using the "bytes" instead of the "bits" we were all used to and now speeds are reported both ways - chaos. The problem is bytes and bits both are represented by the letter "B". A capital letter "B" stands for bytes, a small letter "b" is used to "bits". Example: a dial-up modem always was referred to as doing 56 Kbps - but in KB/s that's 7 KB/s, because one byte = 8 bits. Further confusion - you might actually see bytes as KBps (notice the capital letter B) while bits has always been Kbps.

Download speed depends on your uploading and it's speed.

Set your upload speed in BitTornado to 80% of what your ISP tells you that you have as max. So already you have to do math, because ISPs usually report Kbps while the torrent programs are using KB/s. if your upload max is 250 Kbps, that = about 31 KB/s. So 80% of that is 25 KB/s - use the number 25 where it says max upload speed.

Do not use the "automatic" setting. Use either slow or fast broadband. Once it shows the "connections" & max upload speed", change them to fit.

Connections - slow connection or slow computers maybe leave it at 4. I have noticed lately that for torrents and my Athlon 3200+ and 400 up 4000 down cable, 8 connections works better. But don't mess with it until all is well with a green light and decent speeds.

Make sure you are in a healthy torrent circle, meaning a couple of seeds at least. No seeds won't get you a green light either I do not think.

For my Netgear wireless G router, I have to port forward one set of ports for my main computer and assign that to that computer, while my 2nd computer a P3 win 98 SE needs it;s own set of ports defined in the Netgear router and assigned to it. That is why BitTornado is good - I can use different ports in it on each computer. My router will not let me assign the same set of ports forwarded for 2 or more computers.

Turn off UPnP in both BitTornado and in your router.. If you are port forwarding you don't need it, and it won't work on older Windows versions, and it might just be flakey anyway. Mayh e in a few years it will be better supported.

If you use Windows ME or older versions, set max peers to no more than 60.

On the 2nd and 3rd pages where you change settings, you need to "save". Then in order for those to go into effect, you have to close down BitTornado. Next time you open it the new settings will be in effect.

That is all I can think of for now.

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  8. robbo59

robbo59 Member

Come on i have not got a clue about routers am thick that's why i said english not spanish, a flow chart would be great or screen shots, pleassssssssssssse..

9. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

> Come on i have not got a clue about routers am thick that's why i
    > said english not spanish, a flow chart would be great or screen
    > shots, pleassssssssssssse..

Since different brands of routers are different, can't do. A flow chart isn't going to help if you don't even know what a router is.

However, I suspect you don't even have a router if you are that much in the dark. You couldn't have set up a home network with no knowledge whatsoever.

Is your computer is plugged right into the cable modem, or the DSL modem? Or are you indeed part of a home or office network?

A router is only used if you are on a network - you have 2 or more computers that want to have Internet access with the same Internet "modem". It's about the size of a modem. And they can pass information between each on the network too if you set it up that way. The networked computers are plugged into a router (or they can be wireless connections). And then the router is plugged into the modem. The router is smart - it knows which computer is to receive which stuff, and who sends what.. No one outside knows there are two or more computers on a network, they see just one "address", but the router knows.

Do you understand the difference between a modem and a router?

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  10. robbo59

robbo59 Member

Nope? well i have got this, modem is the connection to the net?????
    Router is the ports that you feed your connection(upload and downloads)through, i think??

the problem is i get more on my upload then my download up50kbs down20-30kbs and thats at best,now am on 11kbs and am downloading star wars 3 with over 1000 seeds???? that's not right, am on NTL cable in the uk i have a 2mg connection, Come on Biggermac, am a simpleton talk simpleton to me, Big Thanks For you help anyway:0)

11. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

> Nope? well i have got this, modem is the connection to the
    > net?????
    > Router is the ports that you feed your connection(upload and
    > downloads)through, i think??

I wouldn't normally say this because I don't like to search myself, but you need to do a little reading up - use a Google search on a "router" and a modem". I am not sure if you even know what a router is (??)

It is very simple. A modem is a little box that plugs into the wall via a cable or a phone line, and your computer plugs into that. And - A router is another little box. Both are hardware devices - physical things. They are different devices.

So - if there is there more than one computer in your house that is connected to the Internet through your broadband connection (broadband = anything faster than an old dial up modem) and since the modem only takes one connection, the extra computers and yours plug into a router. The router plugs into the modem.

If yours is the only computer in your house, you have no router. If you did, you would have two boxes, one plugged into the other, with your computer and other computers plugged into the router. Or the router could have an antenna on it for wireless hook-ups.

The "net": The Internet does not own the term "net". or network". I can have 5 computers in my house and they form their own "net" or "network" - a home network. Now, for ease of connecting the 5 computers, I can use a router to do this - a router is a brain, it knows who's computer is who's and what information goes to who. All 5 of the computers would have to be connected to the router.

----> Then additionally, I could use that router to plug into a modem which is connected to the Internet - and all 5 computers would have "Internet access". If we were 5 college students we save a lot of money - paying for one Internet account but 5 of us split it. And the surfing speed and stuff is still going to be good for all of us - the only conflict would be if 2 or more are downloading a large file at the same time - we still all would be OK, but we would have to divide the bandwidth and thus our speed cut in half (if two dowmloads at the same time). This doesn't happen that much, unless of course the guys are all into torrents, which can take hours. Since torrents rely on your upload speed, downloads would be retarded (if 2 or more at the same time only). But it would also be easy for you guys to send each other files, like a movie ( a legal non copyrighted movie of course.....).

I also tap into an alternate network called "Usenet". It is an old network too like the Internet, with 100,000 newsgroups (forums - just like we are in a newsgroup or forum right now exchanging public messages).

> the problem is i get more on my upload then my download up50kbs
    > down20-30kbs and thats at best,now am on 11kbs and am downloading
    > star wars 3 with over 1000 seeds???? that's not right, am on NTL
    > cable in the uk i have a 2mg connection, Come on Biggermac, am a
    > simpleton talk simpleton to me, Big Thanks For you help anyway:0)

What does your Internet service provider tell you is your maximum upload speed? We can take it from there. And remind me if you get a green light or not. You need to set it to 80% max allowed. You need to read up on KB/s and Kbps - different ways to report speed. You need it because your Internet service provider (ISP) will tell you speed in Kbps, while BitTornado and other torrent programs use KB/s.

Read this about speeds: http://www.kicknet.net/ezmodems.html

12. bmusgrave

bmusgrave Member

Your download speeds are always going to very. I downloaded this same file as you the other day and at mid-day it was running at 350 to 400kb/s then just crashed. I was lucky to hover the 50 mark for the rest of the download. Don't trust the numbers, people are closing these files as soon as they finish. I have some that top out at 50 or so kb/s, then have some with the same number of seeds that run at 500 to 700 kb/s for the full download. If you have seen high numbers at any time, you are set up right. I speed test my line at 3800 kbps down and 387 up on average. i'll even test during a download, prooving I still have useable bandwith. This means nothing. Don't stress yourself out. people want their file and they want out. Sometimes your lucky and sometimes not. If you have seen high numbers, consider that your "potential", but just be happy to get a file for free when it is slow. Fast is always great, but free is free. Good luck.

13. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

>> the problem is I get more on my upload then my
    >> download up50kbs down20-30kbs and thats at
    >> best,now am on 11kbs and am downloading star
    >> wars 3 with over 1000 seeds???? that's not right,
    >> am on NTL cable in the uk i have a 2mg connection,
    >> Come on Biggermac, am a simpleton talk simpleton
    >> to me, Big Thanks For you help anyway:0)

> Your download speeds are always going to very. I
    > downloaded this same file as you the other day
    > and at mid-day it was running at 350 to 400kb/s
    > then just crashed. I was lucky to hover the 50 mark
    > for the rest of the download. Don't trust the numbers,
    > people are closing these files as soon as they finish.
    > I have some that top out at 50 or so kb/s, then have
    > some with the same number of seeds that run at 500
    > to 700 kb/s for the full download. If you have seen
    > high numbers at any time, you are set up right. I
    > speed test my line at 3800 kbps down and 387
    > up on average. i'll even test during a download,
    > prooving I still have useable bandwith. This
    > means nothing. Don't stress yourself out. people
    > want their file and they want out. Sometimes
    > your lucky and sometimes not. If you have seen
    > high numbers, consider that your "potential", but
    > just be happy to get a file for free when it is slow.
    > Fast is always great, but free is free. Good luck.

Of course I know that you guys are talking the home version of the movie that isn't copyrighted, because you wouldn't ever admit in a public forum like this one you were doing anything illegal.

I have to say to Robo that there is something wrong with your speed. 30 KB/s is only 240 Kbps, and that doesn't cut the mustard for a 2 Mbps connection. I wouldn't be happy either. That would take half a day at that speed and if it held steady all of the way through. It was very well seeded (I heard...) and many many peers. Probably the most popular torrent I ever heard of.

Unless you ISP is blocking on purpose which I don't think they'd do (know nothing about the UK) One possibility Robo I think you need not to leave any setting in BitTornado to be "unlimited" or "automatic". You say 1000 seeds - or do you mean peers? Well anyway that is way to much to be registering - you allow too many. Set a limit. Too much overkill. It isn't going to help you at all. Maybe it hurt you, I don't know.

Without knowing all of your settings I can't speculate much more. There are a lot of settings and some may need adjusting.

Except one more thing - you say you were uploading at 50 KB/s - what does your ISP tell you is you max upload speed? If you set your upload max too high in BitTornado, that could be a problem affecting download speed.. I've mentioned already probably several times what to set max upload speed too. Unless in the UK upload and download speeds are the same (not here in the USA), your 2 MB/s is your download max speed, not your upload max. IN the USA here many only have about 43 KB/s upload max on cable, and DSL might be the same or a little higher only.

And Robo I am sure you mean KBs not Kbs, because they are two different forms of measurement. Kbps, KBps, KB/s, Kb/s = small letter b large letter B - bits and bytes. A Bytes is 8 bits..

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  14. crit71

crit71 Member

Biggermac you said that If you use Windows ME or older versions, set max peers to no more than 60. But I'm useing win xp pro sp2 and if i set it over 60 my client freezes....my spec is as follows,
    >Bittorent client>Bittornado 3.7
    >Operating system>windows xp pro sp 2.
    >motherboard>Asus A7N8x Deluxe ver 2.0
    >Processor> AMD Athon 2500+ Barton (O/C'd to 3200+)
    >RAM>1.256GB
    >ISP>BT Yahoo
    >Modem Thomson speedtouch 330.
    Any ideas as I've ran out of em.
    I'm sure this problem only happened after sp 2 but I can't be sure.
    Is there anyone else having similar probs?
    I've been using bittorent for a long time now and its starting to boil my blood.
    If theres 1000 peers connected I can only connect to 60 of em and I'm on a 2mb connection...what a waste...well sometimes anyway;)

15. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

I said that about Win me and 60 peers becasuse (you probably saw it too) when you mouse over that setting it tells you that some Windows versions have that problem.

I am not sure of the version of BitTornado haven't opened it but here is the date it was created: Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 12:41:13 PM.

If you go to the exe file in program files, right click, click properties, there is a "compatibility" button that you can regress BitTornado back with. You can choose any Windows version. Win 2000, Win NT, etc. Maybe worth a try.

But no, do not have your problem with peers setting, I had it on 200 the other day and it worked fine. i eon't try "unlimited". I set it back to 100 earlier. Your problem is what it says happens with older Windows version and pointing out "especially Windows ME". I have XP and SP2 going just fine with it.

I have an Athlon 3200+ & 768 MBs of RAM. I've use it on a Win 98 SE computer though I am not sure what settings.

You don't need a 1000 peers anyway - how often does that happen anyway where there are that many. I think after 100 peers/seeds it doesn't matter much in helping your speed anyway - in fact my best speeds achieved with less than that. I will not use the unlimited or automatic setting for anything in BitTornado. Your 60 total should be good enough in most cases it would seem to me.

Your 2 MB conncection - I have only hot 2 Mbps 3 or 4 times maybe, and not lately - I am happy if I hit 1 Mbps, and I think that is all someone should expect as a best, though I might be wrong.. It is your upload speed that gets you the download speed, I am sure you know. I have figured "max connections" set to 8 is best for me and my new 400 Kbps (50 KB/s) upload speed that Comcast has given us customers (4 Mbps download speed - will never reach that ever.

I am curious - does "max files" do anything, or is it only your peers setting that gives you the problem?

The torrent program... what is it - ABC (??) is built on BitTornado but newer - you might want to try it.

16. zinesta

zinesta Member

hmm, i am facin a real problem here.. currently usin Windows XP but just cant find a way to download fast without disabling my firewall. need guidance.. cheers~~

17. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

> hmm, I am facin a real problem here.. currently usin Windows XP
    > but just cant find a way to download fast without disabling my
    > firewall. need guidance.. cheers~~

click: Start/control panel/windows firewall icon.

Now you can't miss it. You see 3 choices in tabs: General; Exception; Advanced.

OK I have been saying "Exclude" but the tab says "Exceptions".. These words are close enough in meaning and it shouldn't have confused anyone.

I am assuming you have Windows XP's SP2 update with this.

When you click Exceptions you will see several programs with boxes in front of then that have a check mark in the box. I don't know how Windows already knows to exclude these programs listed there - either these are already well known and automatically excluded by Windows XP, or else the programs have code in them that directs the firewall to exclude them, I am not sure. But you will see checked programs like MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger.

So if your torrent program is not listed, like BItTornado, you have to add it.

Or you can use the "ports" tab to specify what port or ports to exclude. This should also work - the port or port range has to be the exact same ports designated in the torrent program you are using. This would be called "port forwarding" if I do it with a router, which is what pulls together a home network.

A router is physical thing - and it acts as a barrier too - a hardware firewall. While the Windows XP SP2 firewall is a software firewall (a program). You can run both actually, but only one is needed. I run both because I have a router on a home network. But the other computers on my home network are older Pentium 3's running older versions of Windows and I don't bother to run a software firewall on them. The router works fine as the barrier/firewall.

Last edited: May 26, 2005
  18. jamesdav

jamesdav Member

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  19. scantron

scantron Guest

biggermac,

This may seem to be a foolish question but when I click on my properties tab for my connection, and see my speed is 10.0 Mbps, do I need to multiply by 1000 to get a Kbps rate, then divide that number by 8 to get my KB/s rate?

20. mystiske

mystiske Member

I have a problem. maybe i should start a new thread but i'll try this one... plenty of info here... im using bit tornado and i get great speeds but every time i start tornado, it'll go for anywhere from 15min to 1hr then it slowly winds down to 0 and i cannot use my browser either until i restart my cpu. i don't have to power cycle my modem, just my comp. for it to start working again. getting very annoying. i am not running a router, just xp firewall. i have tried just about everything i have seen on a forum and i have all my friends stumped. (adding ports, settings on tornado, etc.) any ideas plzzzz?