1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit Tornado Settings

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Weezer00, Oct 9, 2004.

1. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

Scanton, 10 Mbps = 1000 Kbps x 10, that's 10,000 Kbps. Unless you are paying a lot of money for a custom line, that's too fast for a regular able Internet Connection. But you are right about the KB/s rate formula, 10,000 Kbps divided by 8 (Bytes) would get you a KB/s rate.

I have 400 Kbps upload speed (50 KB/s) and 4000 Kbps download speed (500 KB/s). This is almost as good as it gets for a standard cable account. There might be a higher speed account I can pay extra for, but I don't think 10 Mbps is it, maybe 5..

I'll never ever get my max download speed. I got a wonderful 1.5 Mbps yesterday with an old sci-fi movie. (er.. legal non-copyrighted). It is funny because there were only 4 seeds and 19 peers. Strange how different trackers are so different in speed.

Run a few tests here to see your up and down speed:
    http://www.dslreports.com/stest/0
    Try to find a place close to you. DSL speed is steady all of the time, cable users will fluctuate perhaps, because they have to share the bandwidth.

Just to point out - since everyone has low upload speeds, we are all restricted in download speed. But Torrent programs are clever and they know how to divide up a torrent and we all get a piece we share, then our download speed is really just combinations and are adding together of others upload speeds. But they are dicing up their upload speed too to several people, so it is really adding up of a lot of little speeds of pieces of uploads. This is why you must use your upload bandwidth and share or else your download speed will be hurting (it was written that way - no leeches like on other p2p programs).

Don't forget - don't use the default "automatic" setting for max upload speed in BitTornado. set it to either slow or fast DSL/Cable, then once that is done a number will appear, and adjust it to be 75% - 80% of your real upload speed you know you have. Set it too high here and you'll suffer just as if you set it too low.

What Properties tab are you clicking on?

2. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

mystiske,

I'm stumped too. I have never heard of this.

Time to grasp for a needle in a haystack. Here are a few needles to try and find:

Try setting UPnP off in BitTornado (I run this way).

You do not say what operating system you use? Windows.. ?? not Me? XP? Becasue Win ME and SE might have problems with too many connetions. Also in the main window under max upload speed is another setting under it, leave it at 4.

When this is happening, get your task manager to open up and see how the CPU is being used. Also right click on the BitTornado program and look to see if it is on medium priority, not high.

BTW, what do you mean it slowly winds down to 0. You mean BitTornado, or everything?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  3. mystiske

mystiske Member

im using windows xp op. sys. what i mean when i say it "winds down" is it slows down to 0 kb/s in both up and download. it never shows an error message. also, when this happens, i try to use my browser and i get a "cannot find server" message. i have checked my connections at this point and all read okay. i am very puzzled by this and frustrated. i have a motorola cable modem thru comcast and no router.

4. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

The winding down thing or losing peers connected to can happen if you are firewalled, but i don't think it is that because you say you are getting great speed. You are getting a green light with BitTornado, right?

You can exclude the whole XP firewall completely for BitTornado, not just port forward a few ports. But again, since your computer freezes I don't know what to say. Before it freezes completely like I mentioned, right click on your bottom bar or cntrl-alt-del to get the task manager, then check your CPU useage and see if it is being overused. It shouldn't be using very much CPU. See if any other program is using a % of the CPU too..

It only happens when running BitTornado and not other times?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  5. mystiske

mystiske Member

yep, only w/ bit tornado. my whole computer doesn't freeze though. just my internet, but my connection status says all is good. i'll try checking the cpu usage. let me know if you think of anything else.

6. mystiske

mystiske Member

and yes, i get a green light.

7. mystiske

mystiske Member

i have been monitoring my cpu usage... it spiked to 26% when i opened a page, otherwise it's between 2%- 9% and i'm using bit tornado with a dl of 30 kb/s and ul of 37kb/s (kinda slower than normal...)

8. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

check your network connection when you get that message cannot find server: start/control-panel/network connections - there should be only one LAN connection there, and see if it is on or it somehow gets turned off.

If there is a dial up modem network set up there as a 2nd connection, I don't even kmnowe if it would be listed there or not, but (just trying anything here) turn it off or even delete that dial up network if you'll never use a dial-up modem. I've even removed the dial-up modem that came with the computer.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  9. mystiske

mystiske Member

well, i turned of the upnp and deleted my dial up modems and so far it's gone a little over an hour without interuption. i'll cross my fingers and check in tomorrow. btw, are you like a big mac but bigger? (maybe three all beef patties instead of two? lol sorry, im sort of a smart a** thanks for all the help.

10. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

> well, i turned of the upnp and deleted my dial up modems and so
    > far it's gone a little over an hour without interuption. i'll
    > cross my fingers and check in tomorrow.

Let us know, I am curious if grasping for needles in haystacks actually hit on something that worked.

> btw, are you like a big mac but bigger? (maybe three all beef
    > patties instead of two? lol sorry, im sort of a smart a** thanks
    > for all the help.

If you can't laugh at yourself a bit then what fun is life - yes, I am a "rounder" guy.

11. mystiske

mystiske Member

i think the upnp setting worked... now i have to power cycle my modem occasionally... but it's better than it was... still a bit frustrated...

12. MJSS

MJSS Guest

BigMac, I have a question.
    I set up my BitTornado like you said, 80% of max upload speed and everything. I set my setting on Cable/fast. Port forward and everything is just fine (6881-6899 if i'm not mistake.) My problem is, I got the downloading speed around 130-140 kB/s but just for a short amount of time then it decreases to 25-30 kB/s. Later, it increases back to 130 and down to 30 again; and it happens repeatedly. I know this is not a major problem, but I would like to know what caused it to happen and how to fix it. Thanks alot.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2005
  13. kizaking

kizaking Member

its not your download speed thats gonig slow its the other peoples upload speeds are slow. The more seeds and peers it has the faster it will go because your downlaodin of lots of people.

14. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

> I set up my BitTornado like you said, 80% of max upload speed and
    > everything. I set my setting on Cable/fast. Port forward and
    > everything is just fine (6881-6899 if i'm not mistake.) My problem
    > is, I got the downloading speed around 130-140 kB/s but just for a
    > short amount of time then it decreases to 25-30 kB/s. Later, it
    > increases back to 130 and down to 30 again; and it happens
    > repeatedly. I know this is not a major problem, but I would like
    > to know what caused it to happen and how to fix it. Thanks alot.

MJSS, sounds to me like you've done your homework.

130 KB/s = 1 Mbps or 1000 Kbps which is 130 Bytes x 8 = 1040 bits, or 1040 Kbps (bits uses the small letter b, Bytes the large letter B). You can't complain about 1 Mbps.

However your swing down to 30 is not too hot. Let me tell you I have noticed swings down and then back up on my downloads too occasionally. I can't explain the drastic downturn, a little bit would be natural. But as someone explained, you upload speed you see is really not true speed, it is combining other's uploads and their speeds. Whatever their up speed is giving out and that is divided too. Not being an expert, perhaps (???) a couple of your core of uploaders leaves the circle, a seed or two leaves, or maybe you caught up to some peers.. Also I beleive the default setting wil discard anyone uploading to you that gives you a bad packet.

Setting to cable fast or cable slow doesn't matter - it is what setting you change the two numbers there to as to how you will be affected. Those are just "suggestions". So me, I tick cable/dsl/fast, and it says 40 KB/s upload speed and 6 connections. Even though I now have a 400 Kbps upload speed told me by Comcast, I tick the number 40 (upload speed) down to tmumber 35 (35 KB/s), which is less than 80% (you might want to try 75% too). This works best for me, and as you know cable speeds can vary depending on how many cable customers in your area there are. The max uploads at the 6 setting works OK for me. I've tried 7 and 8, seems 6 is good or even 5. If you chose DSL/cable/slow you would notice max uploads as 4 by default.

I also have a Usenet connection through astraweb ($25 for 65 gigs) and using News Rover, the best high speed news reader there is (RAR built in, plus geeat filters), I use 8 or 9 connections here - don't know what all it really means, but downloads in Usenet are over 4000 Kbps, my max (but of course I am paying for my Usenet access, not my torrents access).

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  15. Tcrownz

Tcrownz Member

Hi, can anyone help me setting up my BitTornado, or any other Bittorrent Client?
    I have a cable connection of 300 kb/s with no firewall or router, and I´m using windows xp SP2 with the firewall turned off and Norton 2005. The max speed I get is 12 kb/s, and the average is on 5kb/s!!! I´ve tryed BitLord, BitComet, Azureus and now Bit Tornado, but all of them seems to download in the same speed.
    When I download directly from websites, the average speed goes to 35kb/s.
    Tkx

16. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

Tcrownz,

You said 300 kb/s. A small letter b indicates bits. As in 300 Kbps. Torrent programd talk in Bytes. As in 50 KB/s = 400 Kbps (8 bits to one byte).

If you indeed have a 300 kbps download speed, you are pretty slow there. If you have 300 KB/s not 300 Kb/s (Kb/s usually written 300 kbps), 300 KB/s = x 8 = 2400 kbps (2.4 Mbps). So if you have 2400 kbps you have fast DSL speed, which is OK.

Important - Torrent programs depend on your uploads as you are file-sharing. You MUST upload well to be able to download well, and you must tweak the settings to get maximum speed, and I'll tell you what to try once you tell me your speeds...

So, again, tell me your real upload speed and your real download speed, using the proper kbps (bits) or in KB/s (Bytes), reported to you by your ISP. Also go to dslreports.com and run a few tests too. Tell me thoose results too (up and down speeds in kbps). Your speed is not always what the ISP says you have.

Also, are you getting a green light in BitTornado or is it yellow, and do you let it go for 15 minutes to see if the speed increases?

---------- you wrote:

Hi, can anyone help me setting up my BitTornado, or any other Bittorrent Client?
    I have a cable connection of 300 kb/s with no firewall or router, and I´m using windows xp SP2 with the firewall turned off and Norton 2005. The max speed I get is 12 kb/s, and the average is on 5kb/s!!! I´ve tryed BitLord, BitComet, Azureus and now Bit Tornado, but all of them seems to download in the same speed.
    When I download directly from websites, the average speed goes to 35kb/s.
    Tkx

Last edited: Jul 30, 2005
  17. doodlleus

doodlleus Member

hey im sure ure all getting sick and tired of helpin poor shmo's like me but a little help here would be greatly appreciated cos im at my wits end.
    i have bit tornado and am connected to 2mb ntl internet via a belkin gateway router. i have forwarded ports 6881-6889 on my router AND on my win xp firewall. i have tried port triggering on my router. i have power cycled my router and modem ive turned bit tornado off and on, changed the port range changed the max peer setting everything that i can think of but for the love of jimmy that bloody light stays yellow and i get 20kbps if im lucky. now any budding genious' out there who happen to be sitting under an apple tree thing anout e=mc2 and wish to help me i would be very greatful and a big turkey will be coming your way

18. doodlleus

doodlleus Member

hey im sure ure all getting sick and tired of helpin poor shmo's like me but a little help here would be greatly appreciated cos im at my wits end.
    i have bit tornado and am connected to 2mb ntl internet via a belkin gateway router. i have forwarded ports 6881-6889 on my router AND on my win xp firewall. i have tried port triggering on my router. i have power cycled my router and modem ive turned bit tornado off and on, changed the port range changed the max peer setting everything that i can think of but for the love of jimmy that bloody light stays yellow and i get 20kbps if im lucky. now any budding genious' out there who happen to be sitting under an apple tree thing anout e=mc2 and wish to help me i would be very greatful and a big turkey will be coming your way

19. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

First of all, you mean 20 Kb (capital K), and you have to explain what is your cable/dsl speed before people can help you.

Do not use ports 6881, etc because most trackers and isps block those ports or do not allow traffic through, try ports over 40000.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  20. doodlleus

doodlleus Member

i have an ntl 2mb connection with 240 downstream approx and 22 upstream approx. i tried what you said and used 40000 but to no avail :/