1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit Tornado Settings

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Weezer00, Oct 9, 2004.

1. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

Ok, thanks for the info dood, well, then i really dont know how to help w/ bit tornado then. I use bitcomet .59 now, and with a 1150 Kb down and 115 up, i was having problems with large downloads (500mb+), they would only go to like 30-50 max. I was so frustrated becuase i couldnt even access my router to use portfowarding that i took out the router and my downloads are as i type, 220Kb down, 55Kb up on a 1.36 gb file. With this new information i can tell you that portforwarding should work, and remember to upload at least 75% of your upload (about 16 in your case) and if using bit comet (i would recommend it) to listen to a port within the range of your portforwarding.

2. narutoXD

narutoXD Member

all right i have read all of the comments from all of u guys but i still can't figure out a way to increase my dl rate

i have done the following
    >i have tryed useing differnt settings
    >i have changed my port range like a billion times nothing works
    >i have changed my max upload bull shit
    >i have configured my other setting like max seed or peers can't remember

i have no router can SOMEBODY HELP ME???????? i would deeply apreciate it thanks ^_^

3. DVDBack23

NarutoXD,

Please go to http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and post your upload and download spped and we will continue from there.

Remember also that if their is only one seed on the torrent you are downlaoding and he is uploading on 5KB/s then you can only upload 5 k per second.

4. narutoXD

narutoXD Member

DVDBack23,

all right i have used the speed test and my results were the following
    >Download speed 29 kbps (3.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    >Upload speed 16 kbps (2 KB/sec transfer rate)

i really hope u can fix this problem

5. DVDBack23

Well...There is no problem to fix, [bold]you obviously have dial up, and your download speed will not be more than 6 KB/s, ever.[/bold]

In comparison my
    Download speed is 9100 kbps (1110 KB/s)
    Upload Speed is 912 kbp/s (115 KB/s)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  6. narutoXD

narutoXD Member

DVDBack23,

my internet is not a dial up it is ROGERS Yahoo Hi- Speed Internet
    i naver have to connect like a dial up like 3 web i might have a virus that might be slowing down my dl rate

7. narutoXD

narutoXD Member

DVDBack23,

right now my dl rate is in the 12s i forgot to mension that in my 1st post, my dl sometimes goes 44 dl rate ,in the 30s

8. DVDBack23

Well do you have rogers yahoo hi-speed extreme, express, lite or ultra lite, because ultra lite is just a little better than dial up (about 12 KB/s).

PS. What do you mean by 44 dl? is that in kbps or KBPS?

9. narutoXD

narutoXD Member

DVDBack23,

well i really don't know if u can tell how to find out if i have extreme for example i would really apreciate it

all right i deleted my internet cookies and some other junk and took a re-test and my dl is 170 kbps (21.3 KB/sec
    4 kbps (0.5KB/sec

my dl increased well but my upload is not high

10. narutoXD

narutoXD Member

DVDBack23,

well i really don't know if u can tell how to find out if i have extreme for example i would really apreciate it

all right i deleted my internet cookies and some other junk and took a re-test and my dl is 170 kbps (21.3 KB/sec
    4 kbps (0.5KB/sec

11. narutoXD

narutoXD Member

DVDBack23,

4 kbps (0.5KB/sec

and my 44 dl thing is kbps

12. DVDBack23

Naruto, I have found your problem. AS you may have read, downloading speed using bit comet, tornado, azareus, etc is based a lot on how much you upload. Unforrtunately you cannot upload a lot so therefore your download speed will be low, no matter what else you do.

Im sorry I dont know how to fix upload speed, im guessing that is a firewall problem though.

13. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

DVDBack23,
    > well i really don't know if u can tell how to find out if i have
    > extreme for example i would really apreciate it
    > all right i deleted my internet cookies and some other junk and
    > took a re-test and my dl is 170 kbps (21.3 KB/sec 4 kbps (0.5KB/sec
    > my dl increased well but my upload is not high
    > and my 44 dl thing is kbps

1st, make sure you understand the difference between what your ISP tells you your speed is in Kbps (bits) and what torrent programs say KB/s (bytes). it takes in 8 Kbps to = 1 KB/s. It isn't the slash things - it is a capital B for Bytes vs a small b for bits. So make sure you know what it what when reporting speeds. It can be confusing, but you must be accurate so people understand..
    ( from here click the link 'modem speeds unconfused for you' ) http://www.kicknet.net/news&views.html

You know, when you watch on TV their commercial for getting DirecWay Internet via satellite, the lady keeps saying "super fast". Then you go to their website and actually try and read a page of theirs that says what their speed actually is.. Can't find it. Because there is no law governing words, they think because it is 5 times faster download and about the same upload speed as friggin dial-up, they get to call it "super fast".

Here is the deal - the whole torrent thing, no matter what program you use (I use BitTornado), they follow the same guideline - you must upload well to be able to download well. If your upload speed is a lousy 56 kbps like dial-up speed (7.1 KB/s) I don't care what you download speed is, you ain't going to get much download speed. You should probably have 250 Kbps upload speed or more to get good speed going.. Maybe 125 Kbps will do something, but you'll probably be downloading all day for one good sized torrent.

If you are downloading 170 kbps, this is almost an insult to the words 'broadband', 'ultra', hi-speed' or 'extreme'. This sounds like Australia... Maybe you should forget it if you are, I don't think the continent has the capability to go faster.. With Comcast cable I get 400 kbps up and 4000 down though actual tests are a little off, you get the idea. I also pay a relative's DSL with SBC/Yahoo and it is their higher speed account at the same speed I just mentioned for my cable (I think)..

But if you are mis-interpreting KB/s for kbps, then 170 x 8 = something like 1200 kbps (1.2 Mbps), and it is tolerable as broadband (most torrent downloads download less or at this even with good upload and download numbers, a few are over 2000 kbps (2 Mbps) if you have the capability. But I repeat - upload speed important too - it has to be set just right to get the optimal speed you are capable of and the torrent and network allows for.

14. narutoXD

narutoXD Member

DVDBack23,

what are ur settings for your firewall is it on or low security or is it off,i have windows firewall and my setting is on what is yours

15. DVDBack23

Biggermac,
    please read my posts and youll see i know exactly the difference between bits and bytes, you quoted one of Naruto's posts. Regardless i have explained to him that he has a very low upload speed (.5 KB/s) and therefore cannot download at a high rate as you have expalined. Iam gueesing that he has Rogers Hi-Speed Ultra Light which is only 128kbps, twice the speed of dial up but still very slow.

Naruto,
    I do not use windows firewall, i have mcafee, but my mcafee is on tight security but i allow full acess to the bit comet program when downloading. To see if the firewall is your problem, turn it off, and do the speedtest. remember to use the city closest to yours when using the speed test for the most accurate results.

16. narutoXD

narutoXD Member

DVDBack23

ok what is the difference between bit comet and Bit Tornado and do u have to pay for bit comet and do i need to go on a diferent web sites to find torents that can only be dled by bit comet

17. DVDBack23

Bitcomet is free, and no you dont have to go to other sites, i would give you a list but this site prohibits it, there is a good one from sweden though...

18. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

DVDBack23,

Sorry, the post was not meant for you..

19. biggermac

biggermac Regular member

narutoXD,

There is also 'ABC', which is based on BitTornado, 'Auzerais' which some people swear by, and others.. All are free I beleive.

In Windows firewall, look - there is a underlined command that says "exclude" or it is a word something like that which means the same thing.. See if the bitTornado exe file is listed in there, if not add it in (lead it to the folder and the exe file that starts BitTornado with the browse thingy). It won't firewall BitTornado after that but still will work for your regular Internet.. You'll see other programs in there being excluded perhaps, like MSN Messenger.

But if you have been getting a green light after like 5 minutes downloading with BitTorndo, then you are not firewalled, if it always stays yellow you probably are firewalled and blocking and speed will be a trickle.

But they won't help you much if your upload speed and download speed is averaging way under most other broadband subscribers.

20. DVDBack23

no problem, bigger mac, mistakes happen, just pointing it out to ya. ;)